Player Discussion What management personal do you want to keep?

Who to keep?

• Total voters

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If Green wasn’t largely responsible for Reinhart then who was?? Chia admitted to not having watched him as a pro. I doubt either of MacT or Howson had much invested interest in Reinhart. So that leaves Sutter (a proven stooge) and Green. How could it be otherwise?? If the Oilers have an unhealthy fetish with Oil Kings, how can a large part of it not be from Green? If that pick (a high pick in the deepest draft of this generation) was going to be dealt no matter what, thats fine. The point is they picked a horrible target who busted spectacularly and I cannot see how Greens fingerprints arent all over it.
As for Jones, Bear, Samorukov, Benson, Maksimov, and Yamamoto etc, they collectively arent any better than most NHL teams depth charts. I dont think it’s hyperbole to say that every NHL team has prospects as good as Maksimov. I loathed the Yamamoto pick and I personally think he will bust hard. Their stories aren’t written yet, but NHLE’s have a tale to tell and it doesnt look good.
My point is that Green hasnt overachieved enough by my count to be worth saving.

The Oil Kings are owned by the Oilers and the GM is hired by, and reports to, the Oilers President of operations. So Tambellini, MacTavish, and Kevin Lowe ran the Oil Kings and watched them win WHL championships and the Memorial Cup. They have the same home rink right? Don't you think all of the senior guys saw every playoff game? They were all absolutely familiar with the Oil Kings top players including guys like Brossoit and Reinhart. MacTavish was GM and later VP of hockey operations. You're suggesting that after less than 2 months on the job, Chiarelli made a deal based primarily on input from essentially a stranger, two rungs below him in the food chain, who hadn't seen the player in question once as a pro. This, rather than being urged by the people above him in the organization who were involved in his interviewing and hire who were also intimately familiar with the captain of their Junior champion. Or relying on the pro scouts like Morey Gare that actually watched the AHL. I have no idea why Chiarelli thought that was a deal that made sense but again, PP and scouting guys don't do trades, and Chia had to be the guy that decided to invest those picks. The Oil King connection doesn't mean Green can tell Chirelli what to do, or that he should be giving up high picks to get the guy, or that Chiarelli is going place any real weight in that opinion. Reinhart was a stud Junior and thats what Green and Hansch remember which along with 2 bucks gets you a cup of coffee. People are making way too much of the Oil King connection without considering the normal due diligence involved in any trade. Chiarelli had to have some kind of real intel as to why a top 4 pick wasn't in the NHL and was even available.

I have no argument if you don't like the prospects much. Until they prove themselves they aren't anything, they just look to me like a much better bunch than we have been waiting on for the last few years. And Yamo and any 1st round picks would have been watched by the GM and the AGM for sure, so there are three heads in on that pick. If you look at 2017 nobody has done any damage yet, so may be a bit early to predict a bust there. If the club agrees the talent pool isn't decent Green and some of his people will likely get the axe. I just don't think they are pinning the Reinhart deal on him, that seems to be a message board thing.

Reactions: I am the Liquor

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Depends if it is in the position listed.
Gretzky (both)
Yawney
Viveiros
Pelletier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad