Player Discussion What management personal do you want to keep?

Who to keep?

• Total voters

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
The Gretzky's, Yawney, Pelletier, and Viveiros.

I haven't seen anything not to like about Yawney and Viveiros, and Pelletier did a great job with Draisaitl's skating.

Reactions: RattsSSV and Aerrol

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
It's honestly impossible for any of us to have anywhere near an informed idea of most of these people.

I only voted for Keith Gretzky, not because I'm opposed to some of these people but because I have no clue about them or how effectual they really are outside of minor observations, and even then we can't know how much is the disfunction of the leadership and structure of the roster. Gretzky has only run 2 drafts and 2017 in particular tracks pretty well for now, which is why I don't think there's reason to move on from him in that role.

Reactions: Cypress

Kodiak64

Dec 16, 2010
Edmonton
Yawney and Viveiros are the only two I would even consider keeping because of their good reputations prior to joining the org this season. Keith Gretzky is probably a decent head scout but he's got both OBC and Chiarelli stench on him so he can go.

It doesn't matter because 'winning' falls below 'loyalty to drinking buddies' and 'money' on Katz' OEG priorities.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I voted for Hitchcock, but I don't want him back as HC, only in an advisory capacity.

I'd keep Katz, because he's the only one who can bankroll this cap strapped team right now.

Rodrigue is responsible for coaching the AHL goalies, and I can only assume he's helped Starrett a lot.

Then keep Keith, Pelletier, Yawney and Viveiros. The rest can take a hike.

Last edited:

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
I would of voted for Kieth Gretzky but not for assistant gm. I would just put him as an amateur scout.

Oct 15, 2008
How bout none? Are you being serious? All these years of failure, and the same nincompoops are still embedded in the organization?

Time to clean the litter box.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's honestly impossible for any of us to have anywhere near an informed idea of most of these people.

I only voted for Keith Gretzky, not because I'm opposed to some of these people but because I have no clue about them or how effectual they really are outside of minor observations, and even then we can't know how much is the disfunction of the leadership and structure of the roster. Gretzky has only run 2 drafts and 2017 in particular tracks pretty well for now, which is why I don't think there's reason to move on from him in that role.
This is where I'm at. I don't know if David Pelletier is any good or not, but the team should know. If he's helped guys that we don't know about then keep him, if you are having more guys getting help from outsiders like LD then get rid of him.

Do we actually know if our pro scouts are bad? Or is it just because we only have two of them and lack enough information?

I don't like Schwartz, but I can see them keeping him as they probably give him credit for Hart.

With that being said I would clean house on the management type guys that have been here for ever. They are obviously not apart of the solution.

Only vote goes to Gretzky and who knows maybe they strip him of AGM title and just make him head of amateur scouting.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The answer is supposed to be always B).

But in this case its not.

Literally if you just crossed off every second name on the list this team would be better off.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I went with Scott, Viveiros and Pelletier, the rest can be replaced.

As well, the Owner is still the owner so that's not going to change, unless one of you gets some money together.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I thought I heard Duane Sutter wouldn't be around next year regardless on one of the broadcasts.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Is Joey Moss in management? He’s just about the only guy I know is a keeper. All the guys whose performance is visible, like Howson, Sutter, Green, MacT and Bill Scott should all be flushed because the results are what they are. Nicholson has recently shown his mettle so can be flushed. KGretz should probably be flushed. Our goalies tend to regress not improve so I’m inclined to see the goalie coaches flushed. After that? How are we supposed to know if guys like Yawney and Pelletier are any good? We arent in the room or on the ice, and we dont see their moves like more senior management. The best I can say is “inconclusive.”

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I honestly dont think we can even answer the question properly. The team has been terrible for years though, and the is a constant of people who have been here for that time. Those people shouldnt be rewarded for constant failure.

We dont really know what people do or what they are responsible for though.

For example: last year I think we should of fired all of the coaching staff and assistants. Last year everyone would of wanted Woodcroft fired because our special teams were horrible. Woodcroft looks great in Bakersfield.

This year, with new assistants, our special teams have looked about the same. Hitchcock has came in, and the special teams are about the same. I question how much input/say Vivieros, Gultuzan, Yawney even have at this point. Honestly with how little has changed between two head coaches this year, makes me wonder if management isnt telling the coaches how to coach. I dunno.

I have seen goaltenders constantly get worse the longer they stay here. I have no faith in Dustin Schwartz.

I think the pro scouts are terrible. I dont think they even know the type of player they should be looking for in this day and age (so that is likely a problem with whoever is directing the scouts). Whoever has influence on the pro scouts over the last several years should be gone.

I have more time for the amateur scouting. Its improved but I still dont think its at the level it needs to be. I would be careful about blowing it up though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cypress

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Is Joey Moss in management? He’s just about the only guy I know is a keeper. All the guys whose performance is visible, like Howson, Sutter, Green, MacT and Bill Scott should all be flushed because the results are what they are. Nicholson has recently shown his mettle so can be flushed. KGretz should probably be flushed. Our goalies tend to regress not improve so I’m inclined to see the goalie coaches flushed. After that? How are we supposed to know if guys like Yawney and Pelletier are any good? We arent in the room or on the ice, and we dont see their moves like more senior management. The best I can say is “inconclusive.”

How does Green not get any credit for Bakersfield? Those are his results, not Chia's. People keep trying to lump him in with guys who have been hiding in the organization for the last 10 years. Look at their drafting outside the 1st round since he got a senior PP role in 2015. Not everything in the organization is bad and the amateur scouting is the last thing they need to blow up.

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
How does Green not get any credit for Bakersfield? Those are his results, not Chia's. People keep trying to lump him in with guys who have been hiding in the organization for the last 10 years. Look at their drafting outside the 1st round since he got a senior PP role in 2015. Not everything in the organization is bad and the amateur scouting is the last thing they need to blow up.

Actually, it's Craig MacTavish who oversees the Condors IIRC. He also aids the pro scouts, which sours that conceptually.

But again, how can you really look at this as a results based business when we're talking about bit players in a larger machine where, from the outside, it's impossible to know which parts are working and which parts are not?

Are the Condors so successful because management and coaching did something (certainly there were few Jay Woodcroft fans on this board last year) or because they had a huge influx of young talent, including the best rookie line in the league and a rookie goaltender who has been standing on his head in 2019?

Is it worth laying waste to the damned skating and video coaches when the biggest problem could have been as simple as Peter Chiarelli's direction actively hurting the roster depth?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Green blew up much of any currency he had with me over the Griffin Reinhart fiasco. Let’s also be honest about our prospect pool. I am excited by how well the farm team is doing, for a change, and we have some decent pieces coming, but I doubt we have a prospect pool in the top 10 of NHL clubs. To be fair to Green, Chiarelli cost us a lot of 2nd rounders, but he also gave the team Marody, Day, Gambardella and Starret. Overall it’s a pretty mediocre group of Green draft picks. I guess we’ll see the ranks when the next Future Watch comes out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->