What makes Yzerman rated so high

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Both Yzerman and Sakic have six 100+point seasons. Stevie Y had four or five 50 goal seasons to Sakic's two, but it should be noted that Yzerman was potting 50+ goals when scoring was much higher across the league. Not taking anything away from him or anything (scoring 50+ in any era is impressive); I'm just saying those numbers need a bit more context.

Love the avatar Admiral Awesome! I don't know if you are much of a reader, but there is a book entitled "Blood Feud/The Story of Hockey's Nastiest Rivalry" written by a former columnist at The Denver Post I believe named Adrian Dater. I'm assuming by the avatar of course you are as huge a Sakic/Avs fan as I am an Yzerman/Wings fan....this book you'll absolutely love if my assumption is correct.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I'll respectfully disagree as far as the offense/sustainable part of it matching up to Espo....as six consecutive 100 pt+ seasons has to have some clout? Have many of the "high end" offensive players cracked 100 for 6 straight? Then 95-96 was 95 points too.....I'd have to look but Burnaby Joe doesn't pass Stevie Y in 100 pt seasons I believe....I think Yzerman might even have more 50+ goal seasons? Granted Sakic's 50+ goal seasons came during cup runs so there is that....& to get 100 points at age 37 is pretty spectacular.

If you can't see the difference between 155 points and 102 points, I am not sure what to tell you.

Espo and Jagr won multiple Art Rosses with seasons that were on the same level as Yzerman's 155 point season, not his 102 point season.

Admiral Awesome

Jun 8, 2015
Love the avatar Admiral Awesome! I don't know if you are much of a reader, but there is a book entitled "Blood Feud/The Story of Hockey's Nastiest Rivalry" written by a former columnist at The Denver Post I believe named Adrian Dater. I'm assuming by the avatar of course you are as huge a Sakic/Avs fan as I am an Yzerman/Wings fan....this book you'll absolutely love if my assumption is correct.
I have actually read that one. Good read. Might have to revisit it soon.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
I have actually read that one. Good read. Might have to revisit it soon.

So much good stuff....I didn't even know the Rangers gave Sakic an offer sheet (or that Super Joe was a FA after 1996-1997), Roy liking French fries from a box with "Cassau" on it....the absolute best was a transcript of that Bowman/Crawford argument...*laughing* so good!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad