What makes RNH a step below Couturier and Landeskog?

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Honestly his skating end up better than Duchene. It's very good.

I agree he's not as good a goal scorer as Duchene, but he could easily turn out to be a much better playmaker. I could see him being one of the best passers in the NHL. The only problem is that his passes are so sudden that his own team doesn't expect them. He can get it cross crease every time but it's hard for his players to finish them.

It's definitely tough for a pass-first playmaker to play with guys that can't finish...Froese is playing well but they are both centre and aren't playing with each other

Kudrna was playing quite well at the start of the year with RNH but he has cooled off quite a bit as well

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Where did he say that RNH is currently 190?

He said he hopes to be that by the draft. To be honest, I would say he will be lucky to be up to 185 by the draft, but even if he is less then that I doubt it deters any team from taking him.

Well, he will not be 190 lbs this summer too.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
It's definitely tough for a pass-first playmaker to play with guys that can't finish...Froese is playing well but they are both centre and aren't playing with each other

Kudrna was playing quite well at the start of the year with RNH but he has cooled off quite a bit as well

Well I noticed a big part of his great cross crease passes are their unpredictability. He'll be facing the point, looking 100% like he's gonna play it to the D-man, and then he'll turn and whip it cross crease, very suddenly. No one in the rink sees it coming. I can see him needing a good triggerman to finish a lot of those off.

Ogopogo*

RNH does not have the playmaking ability then any of those players! lol. I love my fellow Oiler fans, but I dont think you have a point.

That wasn't really the point. The point was, you said playmakers are not as good as goal scorers and I listed some playmakers that most teams would love to have over many goal scorers. I wasn't saying RNH is the equal of any of those players.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
That wasn't really the point. The point was, you said playmakers are not as good as goal scorers and I listed some playmakers that most teams would love to have over many goal scorers. I wasn't saying RNH is the equal of any of those players.

Precisely this. I doubt too many Canuck fans will be mad when Hank has a season similar to 20-80-100.

He might not even get to 20 goals this year but could still get to 100 points.

Jooked

Feb 9, 2010
You should. Assists are nice, but not as nice as a goal. I dont know much people who would rather have a natural play maker then a natural goal scorer. Im not trying to say RNH is going to be brutal, im just saying hes not going to be as good as people expect imo. RNH is 6'0 and Ganger is 5'11. At least there listed at that.

I'll take the playmaker. Playmakers make teams better. There's an 100m dollar example supporting my case.

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
His skating is not like Matt Duchene and i could only imagine it will get slightly worse with size, might lose a little bit of a step. He is a world class playmaker though, he has special vision, but he doesn't bring the element of a two way game, Such as Landenskog, or a game breaking trait, such as Coutirier, and I think that's why hell be slated to being chosen 4th overall. And the thing holding Sam Ganger back from taking the next step is not his skating, its his board play, easy to take off the puck, i cant say I won't see RNH having similar problems.

His skating and agility will only get better/faster with the added muscle. He's not going to add bodybuilder muscle, and with his 6'0" - 6'1" frame, he can be even more dynamic. He'll most likely stay atleast one more year in junior,but i can see him tear it up next year with the added muscle.
I've seen him play a few times, and i agree he has that "it" factor which is hard to describe, everyone sees it but honestly i don't think he even knows how good he can be.

KristoLeblanc*

When you can't score a single goal in a whole month in the CHL, you aren't going to be drafted 1st overall.

Couturier is way better, but he is a frog and people are always mad if a frenchy gets drafted first overall.

Couturier's last season was one of the most successful in the CHL for a non drafted player in a long time.

RNH is a better playmaker than Couturier and thats pretty much it. People here have seen Couturier plays 7 games in the WJC, playing on a 3rd or 4th line between 7 and 11 minutes per game and think they can make a good analysis of his game. Thats HF for ya.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
RNH is a better playmaker than Couturier and thats pretty much it. People here have seen Couturier plays 7 games in the WJC, playing on a 3rd or 4th line between 7 and 11 minutes per game and think they can make a good analysis of his game. Thats HF for ya.

That's the thing - I'm not sure RNH IS a better playmaker than Couturier. Right now Couturier is leading the entire Q in assists per game - and that's a league with a lot of good playmakers (and scoring in the Q is not like it used to be - much better D now). This in a year people are saying he has his hit a plateau? If this is an off year, his production level is something guys like RNH wish they were at. His goal scoring ability is also great and his skating will not be an issue at the next level.

I like RNH a lot and would be over the moon if the Sens landed him in the top 5. He is going to be a good player, and might turn out to be great. But if the Sens pass on Couturier for RNH, I would be sorely disappointed. Upside might be in the same ball park if RNH develops completely, but Couturier is a sure-fire top line player. Whether it is Eric Staal or Lecavalier or Getzlaf or something just a bit less, I don't know, but he will be worst case a 70 point scorer in the NHL, with the potential for 90-100. RNH has a lot more risk to him.

Couturier put up a comparable WJC performance to other elite draft eligibles in past. People forget guys like Crosby, Spezza and Thornton didn't light up the WJC in their draft years, and guys like Eric Staal didn't even make the team.

And RNH shouldn't be in a rush to get to 190 pound or whatever. Let nature takes it's course. I'm sure he'll be 190-200 within 3-4 years, and that's all that matters. If a few of his draft peers crack the NHL a year earlier than him, no big deal. Sam Gagner and Josh Bailey cracked the NHL right away, where as guys like Eberle and Schenn didn't. All are good young players, but who would you rather have?

Ashe

Nov 27, 2007
Saskatoon SK
The knock on RNH for the past few years has been his size, Has he really done anything outside of this year to deal with it?

Using someone with size issues, Burmistrov was 157 when he was drafted. It took him a little more then a month and a half to get to 180, and is probably kicking around 185-190 right now. Does RNH have that kind of strive to want to be in the NHL so bad, that he can make that jump?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
RNH seems more playmaker than finisher andcwhen you don't have size,finesse small skill guys who can't finish enough don't last long in the NHl...

ALSO RNH is only slightly ahead in ponts than MARK MCNEILL (abeit with a few less GP) -but basically both about the same in points...MCNEILL has alot more gpls though,has size AND plays on a much worse team which he leads inpoints..Seems to me RNH is either way over-rated or MCNEILL way under-rated in their pro projections...ALSO RYAN STROME has a LOT more goals and ponts and is about 12-15lbs heavier at about the same height as RNH...he has great skills and skates weell too-why such a big "gap" by RNH over him? Methinks EITHER RNH is not that great OR if others are measured to his scale they deserve higher rankings...One might think with all the hype about RNH that he was Gretzky or Crosby...LOL!
He''s just been over-hyped and no way met the expectations of a potential 1-2 pick that he was at the start of this season.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
RNH seems more playmaker than finisher andcwhen you don't have size,finesse small skill guys who can't finish enough don't last long in the NHl...

ALSO RNH is only slightly ahead in ponts than MARK MCNEILL (abeit with a few less GP) -but basically both about the same in points...MCNEILL has alot more gpls though,has size AND plays on a much worse team which he leads inpoints..Seems to me RNH is either way over-rated or MCNEILL way under-rated in their pro projections...ALSO RYAN STROME has a LOT more goals and ponts and is about 12-15lbs heavier at about the same height as RNH...he has great skills and skates weell too-why such a big "gap" by RNH over him? Methinks EITHER RNH is not that great OR if others are measured to his scale they deserve higher rankings...One might think with all the hype about RNH that he was Gretzky or Crosby...LOL!
He''s just been over-hyped and no way met the expectations of a potential 1-2 pick that he was at the start of this season.

Well, it is difficult to just look at points. At the WU18's, RNH was the best player by a fair margin going up against many from this draft class (Although Cout and Lando were too old). You can't just look at the numbers.

That said, some teams might have a guy like Strome or Huberdeau ahead of RNH. And I'm sure McNeill is high on a few lists as well, although I'm not sure he has the skill or skating to really put him ahead of RNH.

OilerOlli*

Nothing. I would probably take RNH at #2 behind Larsson at #1.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Not sure I understand what you mean about not playing in certain areas...are you saying he doesn't generate offense from the middle of the ice or doesn't go into the corners in the offensive/defensive zone? Not sure I agree with that.

He is not very strong right now and is pretty light so he loses lots of puck battles, but he doesn't avoid going to those areas...he still makes an effort and he has a VERY quick stick, which lets him take the puck off defenders on the forecheck

NO QUESTION, he needs to put in the work to add muscle, mass, and overall strength, but he has such a high offensive upside that if you just let him go back to junior and develop properly and get bigger he will be fine IMO

What I meant is he doesn't play well in the corners and although he has the speed and hands to play up the middle he doesn't seem to have the presence without open space to be a huge threat. I hope 15 extra pounds will solve that, but it remains to be seen.

That being said, I have as many good things to say about him as I do bad. High risk, high reward. Although I wouldn't exactly say boom/bust.

EDIT: One more thing, I haven't watched him live, but from what I've seen of him in the last month or so, I like that he adjusts his course of attack quite frequently. It makes him that much more shifty/unpredictable.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

Both Strome and McNeill are being underrated, but I think as we get closer to the draft that will chance...these "lists" are usually very different than team lists and teams will be very high on both guys, especially Strome IMO

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
What I meant is he doesn't play well in the corners and although he has the speed and hands to play up the middle he doesn't seem to have the presence without open space to be a huge threat. I hope 15 extra pounds will solve that, but it remains to be seen.

That being said, I have as many good things to say about him as I do bad. High risk, high reward. Although I wouldn't exactly say boom/bust.

EDIT: One more thing, I haven't watched him live, but from what I've seen of him in the last month or so, I like that he adjusts his course of attack quite frequently. It makes him that much more shifty/unpredictable.

Well, RNH is never going to be a guy that creates space due to his size, even if he ends up being 190 lbs at the NHL level

With that being said, he can create space and back off defenders off the rush with his speed and puck distribution skills

He will probably try to mold his game off of guys like Patrick Kane, who plays in the NHL in his 4th year at around 180 lbs, creates space with his passing and quick first step, and be very good on the PP...Kane doesn't really excel in the corners either, but like RNH, he doesn't aviod tough areas and makes an effort to win puck battles

I think it's reasonable for RNH to improve his goal scoring ability at the next level as well, and if he CAN do that, he will be even more dangerous and closer to a Kane type player

Gervess

@Gervess
Jan 3, 2011
Gatineau, Quebec
Don't forget that Landeskog and Couturier and Larsson are all 18 years old and that they have a year of developement of muscular strenght and shape that RNH doesn't have...

HumanCheatCode

Jan 15, 2010
Edmonton
I think I'm going to just buy like 20 tickets to RNH's last game here in Edmonton and just hand them out to people on HF :laugh:

That way I can stop writing about him on this board and ppl can just see for themselves

Sweet :handclap: March 18th it is , where do you want to meet up?:D

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The knock on RNH for the past few years has been his size, Has he really done anything outside of this year to deal with it?

Using someone with size issues, Burmistrov was 157 when he was drafted. It took him a little more then a month and a half to get to 180, and is probably kicking around 185-190 right now. Does RNH have that kind of strive to want to be in the NHL so bad, that he can make that jump?
This is either fat, water weight, or massive embelishments by Burmistrov's camp, probably some combination of all three actually. Nobody gains anywhere close to 23 pounds of muscle in 1.5 months, especially not when you're just 157 pounds to start with. That's probably 10 pounds of water weight (first measurement really dehydrated/empty stomach/low carb storage, last measurement very hydrated/full/high carb storage), 5 pounds of fat (from eating like crazy like most do when bulking), 4 pounds of lean muscle, and 4 pounds of lies. Scientific studies show that most people, when bulking hard (eating tonnes and working out like mad) can add around 2 lbs of lean muscle mass per month, with total genetic freaks on perfect programs adding maybe as much as 4-5 lbs of lean muscle per month (but honestly 4-5 lbs of lean muscle per month is impossible for the vast majority of people, especially ectomorphs like Burmistrov). 23 lbs of lean muscle in 1.5 months is beyond impossible. Over the course of a full year, with all the cardio they're doing, hockey players actively trying to bulk up will be lucky to add about 10-15 lbs of lean muscle mass, despite the massive exaggerations they'll put out in press releases.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Haters gonna hate.

It's even better when the haters are the guys thay haven't even seen the kid play :laugh:

Also, Couturier and NH will be captaining their respective teams for the Top Prospects game next week...hopefully both players come out and show their talents

Last edited:

Clownpipe*

Just got some money for my birthday and was thinking about buying this:

http://westcoastauthentic.com/product-details.php?group=&product=15076&newitems=1&pn=5

Should I pull the trigger? I think it's a terrific looking jersey, and it could even appreciate in value in the not so distant future.

Also I'm a Sens fan, as much as I would love for Ottawa to draft Landeskog, I have a feeling they have more of a shot at RNH.

Should you? If you're stupid, yes. If you're intelligent, you should be investing your money elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad