What makes RNH a step below Couturier and Landeskog?

Jun 22, 2009
His skating is probably his best asset...that and his vision and playmaking ability

RNH might have less pure goal scoring ability but he could be the superior playmaker of the 2 players and is probably close to as fast as Duchene

His skating is not like Matt Duchene and i could only imagine it will get slightly worse with size, might lose a little bit of a step. He is a world class playmaker though, he has special vision, but he doesn't bring the element of a two way game, Such as Landenskog, or a game breaking trait, such as Coutirier, and I think that's why hell be slated to being chosen 4th overall. And the thing holding Sam Ganger back from taking the next step is not his skating, its his board play, easy to take off the puck, i cant say I won't see RNH having similar problems.

Ogopogo*

His skating is not like Matt Duchene and i could only imagine it will get slightly worse with size, might lose a little bit of a step. He is a world class playmaker though, he has special vision, but he doesn't bring the element of a two way game, Such as Landenskog, or a game breaking trait, such as Coutirier, and I think that's why hell be slated to being chosen 4th overall. And the thing holding Sam Ganger back from taking the next step is not his skating, its his board play, easy to take off the puck, i cant say I won't see RNH having similar problems.

Gagner plays timid because of his size. RNH is at least 3" taller than Gagner and, when he fills out, won't have a problem using his size to defend the puck.

I think you spoke about his going a month without scoring a goal. How many assists did he register that month? Goals and assists are both indications of creating offense. If a guy puts up 20 assists in a month, I don't care if he doesn't score a goal.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I think the most obvious thing about this thread is the fact it's pretty clear most people on here haven't actually seen RNH play live. The guy just has "it".

Sure, his weight is a big concern, but there is nothing stopping him from putting on 10-15 pounds this summer before the draft.

Jun 22, 2009
Gagner plays timid because of his size. RNH is at least 3" taller than Gagner and, when he fills out, won't have a problem using his size to defend the puck.

I think you spoke about his going a month without scoring a goal. How many assists did he register that month? Goals and assists are both indications of creating offense. If a guy puts up 20 assists in a month, I don't care if he doesn't score a goal.

You should. Assists are nice, but not as nice as a goal. I dont know much people who would rather have a natural play maker then a natural goal scorer. Im not trying to say RNH is going to be brutal, im just saying hes not going to be as good as people expect imo. RNH is 6'0 and Ganger is 5'11. At least there listed at that.

Ogopogo*

You should. Assists are nice, but not as nice as a goal. I dont know much people who would rather have a natural play maker then a natural goal scorer. Im not trying to say RNH is going to be brutal, im just saying hes not going to be as good as people expect imo. RNH is 6'0 and Ganger is 5'11. At least there listed at that.

Gretzky did OK focusing on being a playmaker. Assists are equal to goals.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
RNH predicts he will enter the draft at 190lbs (I think I read this in the Hockey News, but it could have just been an interview I saw somewhere). If that's the case size shouldn't be an issue.

If I remember correctly Martin Havlat was drafted at 180lbs, and now is around 217, a lot can change over a couple years. (Obviously it took a while for Havlat to go up 35+ pound, but I thought it was a fair example.)

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
I think the most obvious thing about this thread is the fact it's pretty clear most people on here haven't actually seen RNH play live. The guy just has "it".

Sure, his weight is a big concern, but there is nothing stopping him from putting on 10-15 pounds this summer before the draft.

I read your scouting rep. on him a few weeks ago, thanks for that. But to be honest RS - what is your sample size for judging him?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
So basically he's ranked lower because he wont step into the NHL right away even though he's most likely going to be the better player? Thats dumb imo. Couturier is supposed to Jordan Staal from what I hear and RNH could very likely be Duchene. Duchene > Staal.

It doesn't work like that really. What makes you think RNH will become Duchene type rather than Brule or Turris or Zach Hamil?

Then, it's obvious that Couturier sucks right now because he had a rather bad WJC and RNH didn't play and everything new and mysterious is better than well-known and familiar. But, Couturier is a major star in Q for 2 years already, he's big, strong and mature player. His upside quite well might be higher than a hard-working 2nd liner.

Then Landeskog, to score goals you must not only have a good release(even though I thinkg Gabriel is at least as good as RNH and a stronger shooter now). Many goals are scored in front of the net or from rebounds. They are maybe not so fancy, but they count. And Gabriel is very good in this areas. He also brings 2-way game, physical presence and leadership. His upside to me seems to be bigger than RNH's upside.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
RNH predicts he will enter the draft at 190lbs (I think I read this in the Hockey News, but it could have just been an interview I saw somewhere). If that's the case size shouldn't be an issue.

If I remember correctly Martin Havlat was drafted at 180lbs, and now is around 217, a lot can change over a couple years. (Obviously it took a while for Havlat to go up 35+ pound, but I thought it was a fair example.)

I have seen RNH in interview and the guy is skinny. No way he is 190 lbs.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

He started the year 164 and is probably close to 170 now. He will probably have at least a month or more after the playoffs before the combine to do nothing but work out and add both mass and muscle.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I'd take a player who had 130 NHL pts before his 21st birthday anyday.

It depends on what your expected value is for the 4th pick in the draft given their potential going into the draft.

For RNH, he was initially listed as battling with Couturier for the 1st forward spot, now he's behind him and Landeskog.

Gagner is in year 4, basically the equivalent of being a Senior in College. He's listed at 5'11 191 lbs on the Oilers site. So, weight isn't the issue, but strength is. He has put up 49, 41, 41, and is on pace for 52 points. That's not really any improvement in his production since his rookie year. So, you look to the other areas of his game to see if there is significant improvement, things that would be important in the playoffs, like being strong on the puck, puck retrieval, puck battles, etc. With his lack of strength, seems destined to be a 2nd line center, who is going to lose a lot of puck battles.

If RNH is looking to be a 1st line player, he's got to get stronger, but that is going to take him some time. He's listed on the Rebels page as being 6 feet and 164 lbs. Probably don't want him playing an NHL regular season game until he packs on some muscle to the 180 lb range. When he matures in a few years, he'll likely be closer to the 190 lb range, but again, got to be stronger.

Definitely see RNH going back to junior next season. Take it from there.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

I think I'm going to just buy like 20 tickets to RNH's last game here in Edmonton and just hand them out to people on HF :laugh:

That way I can stop writing about him on this board and ppl can just see for themselves

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
From the clips I've seen, RHN looks amazing.

Hands like that and a knack for the cheeky takeaway.

Looks like the Canadian Datsyuk to me.

Like someone posted on here the draft looks so interesting this year. In the top 4 we (stylewise, not quality wise!) have an Iginla, a Datsyuk, a Pronger and a Lecavalier. The styles are so contrasting and even if there is this mantra about always taking the BPA, if all things are equal I believe teams will definitely think about need and what kind of player would fit the make-up of their team. Hence, I wouldn't expect Edmonton to pick RHN for instance.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I read your scouting rep. on him a few weeks ago, thanks for that. But to be honest RS - what is your sample size for judging him?

I've seen him live 3 times and on TV another 4 times.

Where did he say that RNH is currently 190?

He said he hopes to be that by the draft. To be honest, I would say he will be lucky to be up to 185 by the draft, but even if he is less then that I doubt it deters any team from taking him.

Jun 22, 2009
Gretzky did OK focusing on being a playmaker. Assists are equal to goals.

Rules don't apply to the best player in the world. Not to mention he holds the record for most goals scored. When RNH can pass the puck like Gretzky this statement will make sense.

Ogopogo*

Rules don't apply to the best player in the world. Not to mention he holds the record for most goals scored. When RNH can pass the puck like Gretzky this statement will make sense.

If it will aid your understanding, feel free to use any of the follwing names: Thornton, Sedin, Hemsky, Savard, Richards...

Jun 22, 2009
If it will aid your understanding, feel free to use any of the follwing names: Thornton, Sedin, Hemsky, Savard, Richards...

RNH does not have the playmaking ability then any of those players! lol. I love my fellow Oiler fans, but I dont think you have a point.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
The major problem I have with RNH is that he is tagged as a dynamic player, but doesn't play up the middle, or even in the corners. That doesn't leave a whole lot of ice for him to play. His production is very streaky, and it isn't just his size, he's weak.

That said he does have a great skill set, his vision is second to none in this draft class, he has a good release on his wrist shot, and great stickhandling.

Big risk, big reward. Someone will likely take the chance in the top 5.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
RNH does not have the playmaking ability then any of those players! lol. I love my fellow Oiler fans, but I dont think you have a point.

This is not meant to be rude, but have you ever seen him play live or are you just basing your view of him on scouting reports you have read?

RNH is a phenomenal playmaker and a great skater, saying anything other than that is simply wrong

Questioning his strength and his play in the corners are legitimate concerns, but every player in the top 5 draft has a weakness, with Landeskog as a slight exception because he seems to do everything well but may never be a massive producer

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
From the clips I've seen, RHN looks amazing.

Hands like that and a knack for the cheeky takeaway.

Looks like the Canadian Datsyuk to me.

Like someone posted on here the draft looks so interesting this year. In the top 4 we (stylewise, not quality wise!) have an Iginla, a Datsyuk, a Pronger and a Lecavalier. The styles are so contrasting and even if there is this mantra about always taking the BPA, if all things are equal I believe teams will definitely think about need and what kind of player would fit the make-up of their team. Hence, I wouldn't expect Edmonton to pick RHN for instance.

like the comparison to datsyuk, people who are bashing him have not seen him play, that's pretty much all there is too it...

larsson does not = pronger though does he? wouldnt nik lidstrom be a better comparison

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The major problem I have with RNH is that he is tagged as a dynamic player, but doesn't play up the middle, or even in the corners. That doesn't leave a whole lot of ice for him to play. His production is very streaky, and it isn't just his size, he's weak.

That said he does have a great skill set, his vision is second to none in this draft class, he has a good release on his wrist shot, and great stickhandling.

Big risk, big reward. Someone will likely take the chance in the top 5.

Not sure I understand what you mean about not playing in certain areas...are you saying he doesn't generate offense from the middle of the ice or doesn't go into the corners in the offensive/defensive zone? Not sure I agree with that.

He is not very strong right now and is pretty light so he loses lots of puck battles, but he doesn't avoid going to those areas...he still makes an effort and he has a VERY quick stick, which lets him take the puck off defenders on the forecheck

NO QUESTION, he needs to put in the work to add muscle, mass, and overall strength, but he has such a high offensive upside that if you just let him go back to junior and develop properly and get bigger he will be fine IMO

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
like the comparison to datsyuk, people who are bashing him have not seen him play, that's pretty much all there is too it...

larsson does not = pronger though does he? wouldnt nik lidstrom be a better comparison

I'm not sure he will ever reach the offensive upside similar to Lidstrom, but a great 2-way game like Lidstrom and Pronger are pretty good comparisons

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close

Stylewise I'd say he's a mix of Pronger and Lidström. He's more physical than Hedman for instance, but yeah he might not become as evil as Chris.. his bread and butter is probably patient puck distribution. But Pronger does that too.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary

Honestly his skating might end up better than Duchene. It's very good.

I agree he's not as good a goal scorer as Duchene, but he could easily turn out to be a much better playmaker. I could see him being one of the best passers in the NHL. The only problem is that his passes are so sudden that his own team doesn't expect them. He can get it cross crease every time but it's hard for his players to finish them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad