What makes RNH a step below Couturier and Landeskog?

zeus3007*

He's an awesome talent and probably has the highest upside, but the boy is tiny. He really needs to put on some muscle, he is just way to thin and I don't see him stepping into the NHL right away because of it, wheras Courtier and Landeskog will likely be NHL'ers next season.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
He's an awesome talent and probably has the highest upside, but the boy is tiny. He really needs to put on some muscle, he is just way to thin and I don't see him stepping into the NHL right away because of it, wheras Courtier and Landeskog will likely be NHL'ers next season.

So basically he's ranked lower because he wont step into the NHL right away even though he's most likely going to be the better player? Thats dumb imo. Couturier is supposed to Jordan Staal from what I hear and RNH could very likely be Duchene. Duchene > Staal.

zeus3007*

So basically he's ranked lower because he wont step into the NHL right away even though he's most likely going to be the better player? Thats dumb imo. Couturier is supposed to Jordan Staal from what I hear and RNH could very likely be Duchene. Duchene > Staal.

I agree, but RNH is only like 160 pounds. If he doesn't get some more strength, he will never be strong enough to be an NHL'er, so there is that risk, which is quite significant.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I agree, but RNH is only like 160 pounds. If he doesn't get some more strength, he will never be strong enough to be an NHL'er, so there is that risk, which is quite significant.

Hmm thought he was closer to 170, around 168. But you are right in the sense that RNH can be a risky player. So I'm guessing Couturier is the "surest" forward in the draft? And Landeskog is most likely going to be Mike Richards?

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Lack of NHL readiness and potentially will have to finish the remaining 2 years on his junior eligibility before he hits the NHL.

If the right steps are taken I think he could be the best offensive player in the draft.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Hmm thought he was closer to 170, around 168. But you are right in the sense that RNH can be a risky player. So I'm guessing Couturier is the "surest" forward in the draft? And Landeskog is most likely going to be Mike Richards?

Well, size and strength are going to be issues for RNH. He needs to go to a team that will be patient with him, unlike how the Coyotes handled Kyle Turris, another skinny kid on draft day.

RNH - could turn out to be like Duchene, but if he doesn't add the strength needed, he could be the next Sam Gagner.

Couturier, yeah, I think he'll be in the E/J Staal category. Since Jordan plays 3rd center for the Pens he doesn't get the quality offensive time to rack up the points. And the Pens aren't exactly bursting with offensive wingers. I think Couturier offensively will produce closer to Eric. Even though Sean lead the Q in scoring last season, I don't envision 100 point seasons from him in the NHL.
Landeskog - winger, who brings the biggest physical presence, but with a strong skill set.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
He's simply not physically ready for the NHL. That's all.

And for those that are saying that Duchene played in his rookie season, I beleive he stepped into the NHL at around 200 pounds, not 160 like RNH.

GoldenTicket

Nov 14, 2006
In your bushes
Well, size and strength are going to be issues for RNH. He needs to go to a team that will be patient with him, unlike how the Coyotes handled Kyle Turris, another skinny kid on draft day.

RNH - could turn out to be like Duchene, but if he doesn't add the strength needed, he could be the next Sam Gagner.

Couturier, yeah, I think he'll be in the E/J Staal category. Since Jordan plays 3rd center for the Pens he doesn't get the quality offensive time to rack up the points. And the Pens aren't exactly bursting with offensive wingers. I think Couturier offensively will produce closer to Eric. Even though Sean lead the Q in scoring last season, I don't envision 100 point seasons from him in the NHL.
Landeskog - winger, who brings the biggest physical presence, but with a strong skill set.

I'd take a player who had 130 NHL pts before his 21st birthday anyday.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I see a lot of people compare Sean Couturier to Jordan Staal, I have to say, though the game style is the same, IMO I have watched both in Junior and Couturier's playmaking and offensive awareness and puck handling is above Jordan Staal's. Next year im expecting Couturier to get:

Rookie - 40 to 50 point range
2nd Year - 65 to 70 point range
3rd I expect the same as 2nd year
4th - Point Per Game player
in him prime I expect Couturier to be a 85 to 90 point player.

Ogopogo*

Just curious? Is it his lack of size? From what I have found out, he has the best release and seems like he's the better stick handler. Thanks for the info.

The myth that size and grittiness are most important when evaluating players. Honestly, the players with the best skills interest me most and that appears to be RNH.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
The myth that size and grittiness are most important when evaluating players. Honestly, the players with the best skills interest me most and that appears to be RNH.
actually my teams most important evaluting is three things....Skating #1, Intesity #2, Character #3 ...and my team is one of the best of all time ranked in the whole CHL.

What I have learned after being a scout is skill is one thing, but to do well and succedd as a player you have to have drive, determination on the ice, a guy like Landeskog is hard to find who has great character, toughness, skating, offensive skill, defensive skill and intesity, a guy like that you have to really look at drafting very high because they are so rare, it is what everyone wants and can never find...a guy like Hopkins skinny and a bit weak, excellent speed and hands, good playmaking and shooting well IMO is a little easier to find.

Last edited:

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
actually my teams most important evaluting is three things....Skating #1, Intesity #2, Character #3 ...and my team is one of the best of all time ranked in the whole CHL.

What I have learned after being a scout is skill is one thing, but to do well and succedd as a player you have to have drive, determination on the ice, a guy like Landeskog is hard to find who has great character, toughness, skating, offensive skill, defensive skill and intesity, a guy like that you have to really look at drafting very high because they are so rare, it is what everyone wants and can never find...a guy like Hopkins skinny and a bit weak, excellent speed and hands, good playmaking and shooting well IMO is a little easier to find.

The thing is it's nearly impossible to predict what kind of character these kids will have in 5+ years...I mean, all of these kids obviously have the drive and passion to be great NHL players

However, either one of them could end up with poor work ethic or character problems (though it is quite unlikely since they don't right now)

I think one more year in junior will give RNH the time he needs to get stronger and be ready for the NHL at 19

msm29

Was htsportplaya
Jul 1, 2010
Buffalo, NY
RNH seems to have the highest "bust potential." You don't hear many positives about his size or intangibles, like you do from Landeskog and Couturier.

To me, I guess if you go with Lands or Couturier, you know they'll be a solid NHLer for some time because of their size/leadership/grit/whatever, whereas if RNH doesn't pan out offensively there's nothing he really brings to an NHL squad.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
The thing is it's nearly impossible to predict what kind of character these kids will have in 5+ years...I mean, all of these kids obviously have the drive and passion to be great NHL players

However, either one of them could end up with poor work ethic or character problems (though it is quite unlikely since they don't right now)

I think one more year in junior will give RNH the time he needs to get stronger and be ready for the NHL at 19

sorry but very rare will a guy who is a hard worker in the CHL turn into a lazy hockey player in the NHL. It is not impossible to predict character at the next step, if a guy is a leader he is always going to be a leader that is why they are leaders because they have that in them to be just that...it is what we look for most when we scout, that is what my GM asks for and that is what we have to find, workethic, character

ZugNugget

Feb 19, 2008
The draft combine will be interesting, as RNH will have had a lot of time to work out and add on some weight if he so chooses.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
sorry but very rare will a guy who is a hard worker in the CHL turn into a lazy hockey player in the NHL. It is not impossible to predict character at the next step, if a guy is a leader he is always going to be a leader that is why they are leaders because they have that in them to be just that...it is what we look for most when we scout, that is what my GM asks for and that is what we have to find, workethic, character

Agreed, that's why I said it would be very unlikely to go from someone with those qualities to one who struggles in the NHL

By all accounts, Landeskog is a great leader and the intangibles like fighting and physicality are something that RNH has not shown as of yet and probably never will

With that being said, I'm still going to take the player that I think will be the best player

It may come down to whether a team is either stacked at wing or centre, but I think RNH's offensive potential is enough to bring his value to nearly the same

I considering RNH's hockey IQ and vision to be intangibles similar to fighting and physical play because nowhere near everyone has those type of skills

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
Agreed, that's why I said it would be very unlikely to go from someone with those qualities to one who struggles in the NHL

By all accounts, Landeskog is a great leader and the intangibles like fighting and physicality are something that RNH has not shown as of yet and probably never will

With that being said, I'm still going to take the player that I think will be the best player

It may come down to whether a team is either stacked at wing or centre, but I think RNH's offensive potential is enough to bring his value to nearly the same

I considering RNH's hockey IQ and vision to be intangibles similar to fighting and physical play because nowhere near everyone has those type of skills

I was about to put the same thing. He has a sense for the game and an ability to think many plays ahead that you cannot teach.

Jun 22, 2009
He is not Matt Duechene. Does not play well in the corners, and his shot is good but not Duechene like, the kid went a month without a goal in the OHL. I am certainly not sold on RNH. I have 3 players over him right now.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
He is not Matt Duechene. Does not play well in the corners, and his shot is good but not Duechene like, the kid went a month without a goal in the OHL. I am certainly not sold on RNH. I have 3 players over him right now.

Well, Duchene has developed a ton over the last 2 years. You need to be able to think back to the Duchene in Brampton, not Colorado

Slight style differences but similar upsides IMO

Jun 22, 2009
Well, Duchene has developed a ton over the last 2 years. You need to be able to think back to the Duchene in Brampton, not Colorado

Slight style differences but similar upsides IMO

I am thinking back to Duchenes Brampton days. I think his release was better, not to mention his goal scoring touch is just all around better then RNH. Sure Nugent-Hopkins is slippery, but his skating is not top notch, like Matt Duchene. Like someone eluded to earlier in the thread, I see Sam Ganger version 2.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I am thinking back to Duchenes Brampton days. I think his release was better, not to mention his goal scoring touch is just all around better then RNH. Sure Nugent-Hopkins is slippery, but his skating is not top notch, like Matt Duchene. Like someone eluded to earlier in the thread, I see Sam Ganger version 2.

His skating is probably his best asset...that and his vision and playmaking ability

RNH might have less pure goal scoring ability but he could be the superior playmaker of the 2 players and is probably close to as fast as Duchene

You give me Sam Gagner with high-end speed and I'll be a very happy camper with RNH on my team

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad