What makes hockey players so harder to develop than..

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
basketball and baseball players?

Is the NHL the hardest league to make in the world?

I ask this because if you look at NBA draft's..pretty much like half of the first round play in the NBA right away. I'm pretty sure many NFL prospects play right away as well.

In the NHL a player can take up to 4 or 5 years to develope, especially goaltenders.

So I ask, why do hockey players generally take longer to develope?

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
I know very little about the NBA, but with regard to NFL vs. NHL, draft age eligibility is a huge difference. MEN are eligible for the NFL draft, while the kids taken at the top of the NHL draft were (mostly) 17 last summer.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I know very little about the NBA, but with regard to NFL vs. NHL, draft age eligibility is a huge difference. MEN are eligible for the NFL draft, while the kids taken at the top of the NHL draft were (mostly) 17 last summer.

ah, I didn't know that. I don't really follow the NFL at all. All I know is that normally players picked in the first round make it to the NFL right away. I could be wrong though.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004

I ask this because if you look at NBA draft's..pretty much like half of the first round play in the NBA right away. I'm pretty sure many NFL prospects play right away as well.

In the NHL a player can take up to 4 or 5 years to develope, especially goaltenders.

Have to remember that a huge majority of players drafted into the NBA and NFL are juniors and seniors in college. That right there is a 3 yr difference in draft age. Huge difference in being physically mature. Also factor in how much time a guy grows up playing basketball. You can play basketball or football any day of the year for free. You cant do that with hockey.

Leif

Aug 19, 2005
Seattle
Basketball and Football's Minor league system is the NCAA so basically they are only drafting kids that have excelled in their Minor league system. Plus as it was noted their mostly college juniors and seniors making them much more physically mature.

As for baseball it is pretty much the same as the NHL draft. They draft 17-18 year olds and it takes them a pretty long time to get into the majors, as they play their way up through College and the minors.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
sorry guys, I don't really follow NBA and NFL so I didn't know that most of the kids/men getting drafted were already like 22 or 23. I guess that answers my question then lol.

Would you guys say that the NHL is the hardest league to make in the world? Like the hardest league to crack the lineup?

TruthDeliveryVehicle*

well, for one thing both those league draft players closer to age 20. Their entry into the draft is kind of depending on how ready they are. Teams don't have the option of sending them to develop somewhere so they have to choose the guys who either have undeniable top end talent, or guys who are ready to play.

as well in the NBA, if you want to keep the rights to player, he has to be on your 15 man roster. so, if you want to develop the player, you are better off playing him right away because at some point the may need to step in and play a role whether thye are ready or not. the NBA has a two round draft, and a greater pool of talent to choose from, the top end talent and the players who can step in right away are the only guys who get chosen.

in the nfl, it's all about the salary cap. Teams need the room so they would rather play a cheap young player, than an overpaid veteran who is only slightly better. the league is also so hard on their athletes physically, the sometimes new legs outweigh experience.

as for baseball, it is more similar to hockey and I would say drafted players are even less likely to make the pros as NHL draftees. I mean their draft is 50 rounds every year and only 25 spots on thirty major league teams. It's basically a crap shoot and only a small percentage of drafted players are expected to ever make the major leagues.

heygarebear

Blues
Feb 28, 2002
STL - Nashville
sorry guys, I don't really follow NBA and NFL so I didn't know that most of the kids/men getting drafted were already like 22 or 23. I guess that answers my question then lol.

Would you guys say that the NHL is the hardest league to make in the world? Like the hardest league to crack the lineup?

I'd say the NHL and the MLB are about equal when it comes to making it.

TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Tough to say, but I would say with 30 NBA teams and only 15 spots, coupled with the fact that there are far more players playing college basketball, or basketball in European leagues, etc. That might be the toughest.

Baseball has way more people playing than any other sport in America, I believe, so I think it's probably tougher as well.

Namso

Aug 25, 2005
1. NBA players have to "declare" for the draft when they feel ready to join the NBA, its not like NHL when 18 yrs and ur in. Most NBA prospects are 21-22 yrs old.

2. NBA only has 2 rounds of drafting. So most players wont declare for drafts until they are absolutely ready otherwise they could not get drafted and not be able to return to NCAA. That's why NBA prospects usually take less risks.

3. I think all sports, development is the same. It might seem longer in one sport over another, due to age differences (like gymnastic girls are like 13 yrs old while golfers are like 40) but the learning curve i think is the same.

Loki21

Dec 30, 2006
I think actually most NBA prospects are closer to 19-20. I believe you only have to be one year removed from HS to enter, after the glut of minor-talent HS players that were declaring for the draft. Also in the NBA draft, if I'm not mistaken, as long as you don't sign with an agent, even after the draft you can return to college. Also I'm not the biggest basketball fan, but with what everyone mentioned it seems that if your not a "lottery pick" there's no guarantee that you'll be in the NBA for more than a year. They do have a minor league system of sorts (NBDL) but that seems to come closer to ECHL level that an AHL level, as far as your chances of being seen as a 'prospect' once your sent to the NBDL.
Anyways I'd have to agree that probably MLB would be the hardest to make, with the longer drafts, huge minor league system, and the fact that more people play baseball.

Slink

Jan 31, 2004
Newmarket, ON
I think baseball is by far the hardest to develop prospects. It is very difficult to determine potential on draft day which means that not as many players drafted in the first round make the MLB as they do in the NHL.

Huis Clos*

I think baseball is by far the hardest to develop prospects. It is very difficult to determine potential on draft day which means that not as many players drafted in the first round make the MLB as they do in the NHL.

I think part of the problem is that in MLB and the NHL players can be drafted at 18. Where in the NFL players are drafted at 21 and 22. That three or four years is huge in physical and mental development.

ELab2

Apr 9, 2007
Atlantic City

Major league baseball has a roster limit of 25 players during the regular season and that goes up to 40 during the playoffs. There are also 162 games in a regular baseball season. So I think the chance of playing at least 1 game of major league baseball is greater than the chance of playing at least one NHL game just by shear numbers. But to be a MLB regular it takes a special skill that hockey players just don't need. To have the hand eye coordination that all those guys need is unbelievable and thats what makes the difference in the long run.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Major league baseball has a roster limit of 25 players during the regular season and that goes up to 40 during the playoffs. There are also 162 games in a regular baseball season. So I think the chance of playing at least 1 game of major league baseball is greater than the chance of playing at least one NHL game just by shear numbers. But to be a MLB regular it takes a special skill that hockey players just don't need. To have the hand eye coordination that all those guys need is unbelievable and thats what makes the difference in the long run.

If you look at the % of players taken in the first round who go on to become regulars in their respective leagues, baseball is by far the biggest crapshoot. In 1997, for ie, only 11 of 30 MLB #1 picks went on to have even journeyman careers.

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
1. NBA players have to "declare" for the draft when they feel ready to join the NBA, its not like NHL when 18 yrs and ur in. Most NBA prospects are 21-22 yrs old.

2. NBA only has 2 rounds of drafting. So most players wont declare for drafts until they are absolutely ready otherwise they could not get drafted and not be able to return to NCAA. That's why NBA prospects usually take less risks.

3. I think all sports, development is the same. It might seem longer in one sport over another, due to age differences (like gymnastic girls are like 13 yrs old while golfers are like 40) but the learning curve i think is the same.

You're right in that they have to declare, but normally the top players taken in the draft are 19 or 20. It's very rare nowadays to see an NBA prospect stay through his senior year... even staying through junior year is stretching it for the ultra-talented players.

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
I think part of the problem is that in MLB and the NHL players can be drafted at 18. Where in the NFL players are drafted at 21 and 22. That three or four years is huge in physical and mental development.

Also, today's college football programs mimic the NFL in terms of gameplans and methodology. Most of the top-tier football schools in the nation run pro style offenses and defenses, so NFL prospects already have a level of understanding and familiarity when it comes to transitioning to the pro game.

Slink

Jan 31, 2004
Newmarket, ON

Yes, but over 1000 players are drafted per year by MLB.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Obviously, age is a huge factor here.

But you also have to remember that hockey is a very tough, physical sport. 5'9'' 160lbs 18 years old forwards just arn't strong enough to play, no matter their skills.

In Basketball and Baseball, strenght doesn't really matter.

While in football, most of the guys drafted are 21+ and have been training since they turned 16, so most of them are 200+, most of the linemen 350+.

So there you have it. Age + strenght.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Yes, but over 1000 players are drafted per year by MLB.

Not to mention the MLB's developmental system is much, much more in depth than that of NHL teams. In the NHL, the average team only has an AHL and ECHL affiliate, whereas in baseball, most teams have at least six.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site

"NHL players dont need hand eye coordination as much as a MLB players" is a statement i'll have to disagree with.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site

Your kidding right? Do you have any idea how many people play Baseball? Or how many people play professional baseball? And the overwhelming vast majority never even get close to "A" level let alone the majors.

If anything its easier to be a professional hockey player. Less competition.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
Also in the NBA draft, if I'm not mistaken, as long as you don't sign with an agent, even after the draft you can return to college.

Yeah, there was a guy this year who played in the Final Four (can't remember which school) who had declared for the draft in 2005, did NOT sign with an agent, was NOT drafted, returned to school, went undrafted again on 2006, returned to school for another year, and signed with the Knicks as a free agent for decent money after the Final Four this year.

Someone else mentioned that teams have to keep their draft picks on their 15 man roster - can't they send players to the D-League?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad