What makes a player generational (2024 draft)

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
OK, I am on to the 2024 draft...we always think about generational players as forwards but can a d-man or goalie be generational? Was Orr a generational talent? Is Makar a generational talent? I ask this question as I read about this Finnish kid Aron Kiviharju. At 16 the kid was top ten in scoring as a d-man in the Finnish U-20 league and the two d-men in front of him were both 20...oh and he played about half the games of almost every kid in front of him. He's the projected #1OA pick in next year's draft.

At 15 he played in that same U-20 league and scored 30 points in 35 games. Only one other player has bested him in the history of the league at that age...Laine.

He sounds like the Connor Bedard of d-men prospects.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
HF has had a thread on him since he was 11 playing with 13 year olds - and leading the league in points per game as a defenseman.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Yeah for sure Dmen can be generational. Orr was one 110%. As was Lidström. Out of the current NHL, I think there could be an argument for Makar and Karlsson.

As for Kiviharju.. He was on Dahlin type #1oa path previously, but his development didn't quite continue on the previous level this season. As things currently stand, he is far from generational, and due to his size, more likely a top 3 or top 5 pick next year. But obviously there's still an entire season to go and things can change again, espesiaclly as he'll be changing teams. The team he played for this season (TPS) has major issues inside the organization, which is why Kiviharju will be joining another team next season (HIFK).

Last edited:
Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
As for Kiviharju.. He was on Dahlin type #1oa path previously, but his development didn't quite continue on the previous level this season. As things currently stand, he is far from generational, and due to his size, more likely a top 3 or top 5 pick next year. But obviously there's still an entire season to go and things can change again, espesiaclly as he'll be changing teams. The team he played for this season (TPS) has major issues inside the organization, which is why Kiviharju will be joining another team next season (HIFK).
This. He was hyped a lot but didn't really live up to it this season (stat watching on my part + some clips, or rather the lack of anything catching my eye). I watched a couple of Finland U20 games a few weeks ago and he didn't really stand out in any major way - in the USA game I tried to focus on him and while I don't know if he made any mistakes, he didn't do anything noteworthy either. Definitely not generational anymore (I know nothing about prospects but I'm fairly confident in making this statement).

He's still young so can develop of course, and I do have some faith in him and his background making a pretty good player mentally (he's the son of Jani Kiviharju, a feisty grinder in the local league who I think was pretty well respected as an important player for the team for many years). So we'll see - maybe he will fall to somewhere outside the top-10 and is there for the CBJ to pick after we try to compete for the playoffs but don't quite make it next year? :)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
When calling someone a generational talent, it would be someone who is so dominant at their level they are the best of the best.

When referencing draft picks it is definitely a lot of hype that may or may not be realized. No matter what position it is the true greats live up to that hype.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad