Speculation: What Lightning player do you think Vegas will draft from us

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
to a degree, I feel it's too soon to really speculate too much. There's probably a ton of activity that's going to come before LV drafts that the landscape is going to look vastly different.

Alex Mills

to a degree, I feel it's too soon to really speculate too much. There's probably a ton of activity that's going to come before LV drafts that the landscape is going to look vastly different.

Agreed, the shape of their roster could change in the coming months if they move guys like Bishop, Filppula or Garrison, and that doesn’t factor in whoever they might acquire in return. Revisit this in March or June, too many moving parts that haven’t quite started moving yet.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think Namestnikov is the one. Not sure Vegas will be able to find a ready made 24 year old 2C anywhere else.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Most likely a forward, as Vegas will have a much easier time filling its defensive corps than they will putting together a decent top six and we will almost certainly be exposing at least one quality forward worth taking (the only way we don't would be if we move either both Filppula and Callahan or one of them plus whichever top six forward we have to lose to the cap - in that event Namestnikov would probably be our last forward protected leaving only fourth liners and older AHL forwards to choose from.)

Another possibility however is that Vegas goes after a defenseman like Garrison or Sustr with the idea of flipping him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Feels like either Namestnikov or Killorn. Possibly Sustr, but I doubt it. Probably depends on what Yzerman thinks he can do with the cap. If he's feeling good, maybe we protect Killorn. If not, Killorn is left exposed, and if he doesn't get nabbed, we might be forced to move him anyway.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
cap friendly has a build your own vegas team already lol https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

They have a crowdsourced protected list which I used to sort of fart around with the exposed players. I put together a sloppy draft, but noticed that there's plenty of talent and term in goal and defense (for the moment). Drafting enough forwards was where it got difficult. Killorn has the deal through 22-23, but Namestnikov has the RFA thing going for him. It may depend on who LV thinks would last longer with their team.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Most likely a forward, as Vegas will have a much easier time filling its defensive corps than they will putting together a decent top six and we will almost certainly be exposing at least one quality forward worth taking (the only way we don't would be if we move either both Filppula and Callahan or one of them plus whichever top six forward we have to lose to the cap - in that event Namestnikov would probably be our last forward protected leaving only fourth liners and older AHL forwards to choose from.)

Another possibility however is that Vegas goes after a defenseman like Garrison or Sustr with the idea of flipping him.

I agree. Since most teams are going to take the option of protecting 7 forwards and 3 Dmen, Vegas is going to have a hell of time finding top 6 forwards while they will have some decent choices for Dmen. If we expose either Vlady or Killorn, one of them gets picked, however, knowing that, SY could trade one for something less than value so as not to get nothing.

But there are several variables. As it stands, with forwards we protect Stamkos (NMC), Callahan (NMC), Filppula (NMC), Kucherov, Drouin, Johnson, Palat.

Either Filppula or Callahan could be traded adding one more space for Vlady or Killorn. I predict Flip.

Drouin, Palat, and Johnson need a contract next summer and one will likely go for cap reasons. I predict Johnson based on possible replacements in the pool. That frees up another space.

So then the protected forwards would be: Stamkos, Callahan, Kucherov, Drouin, Palat, Namestnikov, and Killorn.

Now there are no top six forwards exposed and Vegas could take a Dman like Koekkoek, Sustr, Garrison, or Coburn.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I would offer Johnson to Vegas. Not as who they pick in the draft though. I would say if you select Erik Condra we will trade you Johnson for some forward they select from another team plus a pick or two. Diminishes the value a Johnson slightly but let's us keep Namestnikov, Killorn and Sustr, frees up money in Condra as well as the Johnson raise. Depends on if Namestnikov or Point are ready to be a 2C.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I would offer Johnson to Vegas. Not as who they pick in the draft though. I would say if you select Erik Condra we will trade you Johnson for some forward they select from another team plus a pick or two. Diminishes the value a Johnson slightly but let's us keep Namestnikov, Killorn and Sustr, frees up money in Condra as well as the Johnson raise. Depends on if Namestnikov or Point are ready to be a 2C.

Interesting if Vegas signs say bishop agrees with him on terms during the fa talk window they forfeit there pick of picking from our team I read today from the gm meetings.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Interesting if Vegas signs say bishop agrees with him on terms during the fa talk window they forfeit there pick of picking from our team I read today from the gm meetings.

They don't forfeit their pick, they just make Bishop the pick and sign him to a contract right after. I just don't think Bishop would want to sign in Vegas unless he's all about money.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'm sure there's a team that'll pay Bishop and won't have a gongshow of a roster.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm sure there's a team that'll pay Bishop and won't have a gongshow of a roster.

Philly will be in need of a goalie and has a playoff caliber roster. There's a few others who'll be interested. A lot depends on who Vegas selects. Islanders might dangle Halak so they can open up money for Bishop, Dallas with one of theirs, maybe even St. Louis with Allen I'm sure Bishop would love to go home to play.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
They don't forfeit their pick, they just make Bishop the pick and sign him to a contract right after. I just don't think Bishop would want to sign in Vegas unless he's all about money.

No state income tax there and team won't be as bad as you think i thinks is possible 2-3 years of building they will compete. They will have money to spend in FA.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Blind faith in Yzerman protecting all the young assests.

Stamkos, Kucherov, Drouin, Palat, Johnson, Killorn, Namestnikov
Hedman, Sustr, Koekkoek
Vasilevski

I don't know how he'll negotiate around the NMCs of Filppula and Callahan, but, I believe he will. Whether trade, buyout, jedi mind trick, or asking nicely; Yzerman will find a way to protect his best long term assets. Las Vegas can only take one. Protecting the above leaves them taking from...

Callahan (maybe)
Filppula (same)
Stralman
Garrison
Coburn
Boyle
Brown
Paquette
Nesterov
Bishop

It forces Las Vegas in to fixing our cap crunch. It makes it as enticing as possible. None of that list (nor the omitted minor leaguers available) stands out as the obvious selection. Whereas if anybody on my expected protect list is exposed they are easily the obvious choice among the rest.

Yzerman will figure it out.

Disclaimer: plenty of time for the roster to change and maybe in unexpected manner.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not sure why you wouldn't include Callahan at the moment, his contract is not moveable, and we're not leaving Stralman exposed.

If they take Namestnikov or Sustr it doesn't really fix anything.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Blind faith in Yzerman protecting all the young assests.

Stamkos, Kucherov, Drouin, Palat, Johnson, Killorn, Namestnikov
Hedman, Sustr, Koekkoek
Vasilevski

I don't know how he'll negotiate around the NMCs of Filppula and Callahan, but, I believe he will. Whether trade, buyout, jedi mind trick, or asking nicely; Yzerman will find a way to protect his best long term assets. Las Vegas can only take one. Protecting the above leaves them taking from...

Callahan (maybe)
Filppula (same)
Stralman
Garrison
Coburn
Boyle
Brown
Paquette
Nesterov
Bishop

It forces Las Vegas in to fixing our cap crunch. It makes it as enticing as possible. None of that list (nor the omitted minor leaguers available) stands out as the obvious selection. Whereas if anybody on my expected protect list is exposed they are easily the obvious choice among the rest.

Yzerman will figure it out.

Disclaimer: plenty of time for the roster to change and maybe in unexpected manner.

Very nice rational thinking. Those you protect are as good of a core than there is in the league. Yzerman will get this done and like you I think he will gain cap in the process.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

A player like Bishop in Vegas, depending on if they get some decent to good pieces in front of him(which will be bound to happen with the protection rules) will make them an instant contender for a playoff spot.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
A player like Bishop in Vegas, depending on if they get some decent to good pieces in front of him(which will be bound to happen with the protection rules) will make them an instant contender for a playoff spot.

Will vegas get a top 5 draft pick in the 2017 nhl draft how does that work ?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Will vegas get a top 5 draft pick in the 2017 nhl draft how does that work ?

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/06/22/6-questions-about-nhl-going-to-las-vegas

How will the 2017 draft lottery work?

The Las Vegas franchise will be given the same odds in the 2017 draft lottery as the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the 2016-17 regular season. This means it will choose no lower than sixth in the first round. Las Vegas then will select third in each subsequent round of the draft unless there is a trade.

This is only for 2017. I believe it's been said that there won't be any special rules beyond the first draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->