What League do you Think is the Most Underrated?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Maybe the Bundesliga has gone through a slum recently with Bayern doing a rebuild of sorts. I still think those leagues just get less air time here in NA and that perpetuates the quality going down.

Very much so. Last season was the only season since like 2007 that the EPL could be considered the top league in the world. La Liga has been the best league in the world for some time now.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Depends on who you talk to as every league has its supremacists. I always felt the smaller Spanish teams got criminally underrated by fans in places like England or Germany. Its so common to hear stuff like “Yeah Barca and Real are great but the rest are crap” yet results never seemed to support that view. Theres a lot more talent in that league beyond even the top 4-5 clubs than many have been willing to acknowledge.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Maybe the Bundesliga has gone through a slum recently with Bayern doing a rebuild of sorts. I still think those leagues just get less air time here in NA and that perpetuates the quality going down.
German teams have been struggling in Europe recently. It's not just NA media.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I always felt the smaller Spanish teams got criminally underrated by fans in places like England or Germany

After the big 3 in Spain; Valencia, Sevilla, Bilbao, Scoiedad, Villareal and Betis are all great. Getafe and Espanyol are pretty good right now as well and then Celta Vigo has had some good runs in the past decade (outside of last season especially). The first half of the table is full of great teams, again I think it comes down to a lack of air time here in the NA for a lot of footie fans.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
German teams have been struggling in Europe recently. It's not just NA media.

Yeah they have had an underwhelming go of things in Europe recently, but I expect Bayern to be back to their dominance in a couple of years due to their great pipeline. Dortmund has also made some good moves recently and I could see them being more prominent in Europe.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Still doesn't mean they were better than for example MSN
Agree to disagree I suppose. On paper, sure MSN was better but Mourinho's tactical set-up for counter-attacking with RM is the most entertaining football I've seen to date. In fact, there were a couple of RM teams this decade that scored more MSN did in any season.
Yeah they have had an underwhelming go of things in Europe recently, but I expect Bayern to be back to their dominance in a couple of years due to their great pipeline. Dortmund has also made some good moves recently and I could see them being more prominent in Europe.
Dortmund made some good moves over the years, but I think their rise speaks more on the decline of Bayern Munich as a European powerhouse. They were demolished by Spurs for two straight years in the CL.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
How is the PL underrated? lol

It’s easily the most talked about and seen league in the world.

But it isn't talked about by everybody on the planet every second of every day of every year. Worse, there are heretics who probably don't wash that question whether it's the best league. Some people, who probably have sex with pavements as well as not washing, actually flat out deny it's the best league. Hence it is underrated.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Which leagues are rated by who? I don't know.

A very good question.

From an English perspective, I can't remember any free-to-air TV service ever bothering to broadcast either the Portuguese, Dutch or Belgian leagues which doesn't do justice to their status as leagues that churn out a fair bit of talent.

I don't watch Scottish football, but I do wonder whether the habitual English disdain of it isn't unfair.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
A very good question.

From an English perspective, I can't remember any free-to-air TV service ever bothering to broadcast either the Portuguese, Dutch or Belgian leagues which doesn't do justice to their status as leagues that churn out a fair bit of talent.

I don't watch Scottish football, but I do wonder whether the habitual English disdain of it isn't unfair.
You lost me.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I have been trying to find a good ranking system for the top 25 leagues in the word or something along those lines and have had no luck.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Agree to disagree I suppose. On paper, sure MSN was better but Mourinho's tactical set-up for counter-attacking with RM is the most entertaining football I've seen to date. In fact, there were a couple of RM teams this decade that scored more MSN did in any season.

Dortmund made some good moves over the years, but I think their rise speaks more on the decline of Bayern Munich as a European powerhouse. They were demolished by Spurs for two straight years in the CL.

You haven't seen a lot then. I'm sorry for you.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
You're on to something.

Maybe we need to decide which league, when trashed by someone, is the best indicator to tip you off to that person being a clown.

Ligue 1 might be it.

Ligue 1 has a lot more talent than entertainment value. Thats likely why it gets even less attention than the Bundesliga which is probably only slightly better overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad