What League do you Think is the Most Underrated?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I thought Ligue 1 would likely get a lot of love here, as it should. I find it funny when people trash its reputation and then the team they cheer for has 3 or 4 important players that have their roots in France.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Ligue 1 is a talent factory, and people talk about it like it's absolute ****. If they kept even half the players they sell each summer, a few of the squads in that league would be amongst the best in Europe.

Yup. Said exactly what I was going to say.

I was thinking of making this a non top-5 League thread at first. My guess was Ligue 1 would be the frequent response

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
being based on the league, and not the players coming from the league, Ligue 1 is not underrated
PSG is the standard-bearer, they started 3 Frenchmen in their 11 today.
Also been 3 years since they went to the quarterfinals in the CL

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
My answer is Primeira Liga (Ligue 1 is part of the top 5 league circle in Europe). Sure they get wrecked in European competition, but they're as good as Ligue 1 in development especially in bringing in recruits from South America. Plus, Portugal is reaping those benefits of the league on the international circuit. Very underrated.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I would say an under rated league would probably be Belgium. Also a solid factory of players and their best teams are pretty decent.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I agree. People act as if the league is worse than the League of Wales when it's really not that bad at all. There are a handfull of elite leagues in the world, but after that you have quite a bunch of leagues grouped together at the next level and to me MLS is at that tier.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Probably the EPL.

We're seeing all these clubs abroad desperate for young talented English youth products within the past 3 years. It's never really happened before until recently.

Despite even making the final 4 in a World Cup with all EPL players, a lot of their best get underrated. Raheem Sterling is the best forward in the Premier League. Kane is the best striker in the world.

And most recently, we had 2 English European cup finals. The past 2 years in particular English teams have been amazing best on best.

It's the best and most exciting league and none of the other leagues are close IMO.

Reactions: AB13

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Dutch league, Belgium, Portugal, Russia, MLS.

I think I would put Brazil and Mexico in there slightly ahead of MLS. But I fully expect the MLS to be the league of the western hemisphere by 10 years from now.

Also I would put the Championship up there as well.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think I would put Brazil and Mexico in there slightly ahead of MLS. But I fully expect the MLS to be the league of the western hemisphere by 10 years from now.

Also I would put the Championship up there as well.

You'd also have to throw the Argentina super liga. As long as MLS can't produce their own talent it will be nothing. By talent I mean actual good players that can thrive in Europe.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Championship: great answer
I’d have mls right at 15, aside from the obvious, they’re behind: greece, ukraine, brazil, mexico, argentina, and russia. I don’t see a lot of change there anytime soon, but that might mean it’s a bit underrated.

Reactions: Cassano

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
You'd also have to throw the Argentina super liga. As long as MLS can't produce their own talent it will be nothing. By talent I mean actual good players that can thrive in Europe.

Also if they switched how their salary cap system worked there would be some better talents in the league.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Probably the EPL.

We're seeing all these clubs abroad desperate for young talented English youth products within the past 3 years. It's never really happened before until recently.

Despite even making the final 4 in a World Cup with all EPL players, a lot of their best get underrated. Raheem Sterling is the best forward in the Premier League. Kane is the best striker in the world.

And most recently, we had 2 English European cup finals. The past 2 years in particular English teams have been amazing best on best.

It's the best and most exciting league and none of the other leagues are close IMO.

I agree with all of this but Sterling isn't the best forward in the Prem, and Kane isn't even in the top 3 of Premier League strikers.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I tend to agree. With Pukki entering the stage Kane is now probably the 4th best forward in the PL.

Reactions: Cassano

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Which leagues are rated by who? I don't know.

Been awhile since I moved from France, but I remember how surprised I was of the quality - a lot weaker than I thought. Not that 2008 is very relevant for today, but back then there were also a lot of excellent players coming through Ligue 1 without the league itself being especially strong.

I like how The Championship has evolved. Some very decent football being played in that league these days. Probably helps that many, if not most, of the pitches are now playable.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I don’t like to use this, but “LOL” at the PL. They are the best and are widely considered so. They are shown globally and have a plethora of fans worldwide. Not to mention the European successes they have. How are they underrated?

I nominate the Bundesliga and Bundesliga II. I also think the Russian, Portuguese, Belgium and Dutch league don’t always the recognition they deserve. They sprout out massive talents on a regular base but these talents are only considered great when they have left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad