What languages do the refs speak?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
With so many languages I'm wondering if the refs that are employed for the World Cup selected based on their language skills? Like South Korea vs Germany, do the refs for that game speak both Korean and German? I would think the players complaining to the ref would do it in their first language so I'm wondering this

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Mostly English. If not Spanish. Russia vs Spain you could here the ref during the coin toss, he was speaking in broken English which both Ramos and Akinfeev responded to in similar fashion.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I think English is required if you want to become a FIFA/UEFA elite level ref

There was a documentary following 3-4 refs during Euro 2008 (used to be on youtube, not sure if its still up) and they were mic'd up during the games. The referee crews are usually from the same country and they talk to each other in their native language (Webb in English, Rossetti in Italian, Busacca in Italian). When speaking to the players it was 99% English, the only time it wasn't was when the ref spoke one on one with the player and he knew they understood the language. For example they mic'd Busacca for a Sweden-Greece game and he kept yelling at Karagounis in Italian :D

They actually mic'd Howard Webb during that infamous Poland-Austria match too

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I find the temptation to answer 'Madridista in Spain' irresistible, but I won't do it. I won't say 'in Spain they speak Madridista'. I mean I could post 'refs in La Liga speak Madridista', but I won't.

The important thing is to be able to understand the phrase, 'We'd like to play our game-changing penalty joker card now, thanks' when you hear it.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I find the temptation to answer 'Madridista in Spain' irresistible, but I won't do it. I won't say 'in Spain they speak Madridista'. I mean I could post 'refs in La Liga speak Madridista', but I won't.

Generally true but if Barcelona is involved and the opponent is a smaller side they may also be very fluent in Catalan.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Heard there was a complaint in col vs eng because ref didn't speak Spanish

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
BkzyezPIAAEZnHQ.jpg

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
...but what happens when the players don't speak English? I'm sure there are tons of players who don't speak English well or at all. I guess as long as there are a few guys around to translate, the other players stay away from the ref? IDK.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
...but what happens when the players don't speak English? I'm sure there are tons of players who don't speak English well or at all. I guess as long as there are a few guys around to translate, the other players stay away from the ref? IDK.

They don't have to talk to the ref. In fact, other than the captain, they aren't really supposed to. A ref can technically officiate a match just with his whistle and hand signals.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The role of the captain in football is sometimes exaggerated though, the Laws of the Game state explicitly that:

"The captain of a team has no special status or privileges under the Laws of the Game but he has a degree of responsibility for the behaviour of his team."

So regarding communication it is not quite comparable to hockey where only the captain has the authority to speak to the referees when it comes to refereeing decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad