What kind of club will Vegas ice in the AHL this season?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Seems to me like McPhee could have aimed to get a couple of young prospects ready for the AHL in all the deals he made instead of pure draft picks. As it stands the team doesn't have anyone to play down there aside from maybe waiver-fodder guys like Stoner/Merrill/Leipsic/whoever if they don't make the team out of camp. And that's if they are not flipped before that.

Its great that they got so many draft picks, but for the next 2 years they'll literally have no one to developp at the AHL level. Doesn't sound too good for the short term future of Vegas. They'll have to sign 20+ free agents to ice a team down there, and won't have any potential callups who has decent potential.

I know Vegas is building through the draft and the long term, but having no worthy prospect in the AHL for the next 2 years doesn't sound very smart.

Unless Neal/Perron/Methot are dealt this summer and return young AHL prospects, but that doesnt seem to be the plan right now.

What do you guys think of this situation?

member 157595

I would be happy to give LV one or two generic AHL prospects for Methot. :sarcasm:

No but seriously, McPhee's not done and has a lot of moves to make yet. Couldn't they share an AHL team with another squad for a year? If so, they'll be fine. If not, they'll sign some AHL deals and make due that way.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I would be happy to give LV one or two generic AHL prospects for Methot. :sarcasm:

No but seriously, McPhee's not done and has a lot of moves to make yet. Couldn't they share an AHL team with another squad for a year? If so, they'll be fine. If not, they'll sign some AHL deals and make due that way.

I believe they're sharing with St. Louis for the next season.

There is also the potential for teams to loan players to their affiliate.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
They will copy the Oilers and get the next 4 consecutive first overall draft picks.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
They don't need to fill an AHL team. They're piggybacking off the Blues' affiliate the Chicago Wolves. They'll be able to send their NHL run-off down there, but for the most part the team will be populated by Blues-owned players.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
They don't need to fill an AHL team. They're piggybacking off the Blues' affiliate the Chicago Wolves. They'll be able to send their NHL run-off down there, but for the most part the team will be populated by Blues-owned players.

Actually, it's the other way around, the Wolves are Vegas farm team and the Blues are piggybacking until next season. That being said, it will be mostly Blues players this season.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I'm a bit surprised that Vegas didn't go for a Euro player like Patrik Virta and Sebastian Repo in later rounds. Not referring player style, but rather someone who is over 20 and still available to be drafted.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad