What jersey number do you wear and why?

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
I've gone through four numbers of my choosing and been assigned a couple others.

I started with 8, which I wore because it was Jussi Jokinen's number in Finland. Someone else on the team wanted the number, and so I just let them have it and moved on to 14 briefly, which I wore because of Stu Barnes. Then I wore 81 for a while for no real reason (the story I always told is that I was trying to tap into the power of [Miro] Satan to create some offense). Now I'm wearing 55 because it was Sydor's number in Tampa.

TorontoShane

Dec 2, 2006
#9. My first league ever, I was a beginner. Had to choose from 1 to 16. Asked for 1 but it was taken by the goalie. Picked 9 because I thought it was cool.

Voda

Jun 3, 2006
i've been wearing 15 for 4 years now because it's the day of my wifes birthday.

i have recently switched to 29 though, because my daughter was born february 9. that and also because i'm a closet krysztof oliwa fan ;)

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
I've always been a jersey number afficionado, so when it came time to choose a number for my beer league a few years ago, I went with 26, in honor of Glen Wesley from his old B's days. I grew up a fan of his game, eventhough Ray Bourque is my all-time favorite, but there's no way I'd ever wear 77. Besides, some other guy took it.

26 is not too flashy, it's a working man's number, and that's a reflection of my playing style.

Here's a few more.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=141775

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net

I just like it.

When I played Football I wore #21 because of Barry and Dion Sanders

I also wear 21 in Baseball.

Never played basketball. lol

Cartman27

Oct 13, 2006
Long Island
Im a goalie and in my 1st year in a league I chose #35 because of Mike Richter. The next year I moved up an age group and 35 was taken already, so I wanted a number that no one would ever have when I switched teams. I came up with the number 72 and it has stuck. I wear in baseball and hockey, and I flipped it around for my HF screename;)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
My favorite number is 6 in honor of the great Phil Housley! 86 assists in Selanne's rookie year.

I have never been able to wear it on any of the teams I've played on though cause it's never available. I'm 10 on one of my teams right now, 77 on the second (lol) and 44 on my third (FCP yech!)

It's funny that I have all those 'offensive' numbers cause I am a 100% defensive defenseman.

Zimmer12

Dec 15, 2005
Leduc, Alberta
Well, I started off with #14. Don't laugh, but it was because of Theo Fleury, when I was a forward. :biglaugh:

I've since converted to playing defence and have had #12, because of Jarome Iginla, I don't know why I have it because im a defenceman. It is my current number right now.

I've had 18 before one year, was the only number available. Guess I could say because of Ethan Moreau.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I wore 44 my first few years playing because Rob Niedermayer was my favorite player growing up in South Florida. Then after a couple years when I realized he wasn't really good ;). My coach just gave me a jersey with 66 on it one year and the year after that I switched to 96 which was about 6 years ago. I had 96 because it's the year I started following hockey when I was 8 and also Pavel Bure wore it in Vancouver for a short while and I was nicknamed after Bure because I scored goals on breakaways a lot.

Then we had some dufas coach who was like "no high dumbass numbers" and I used 16 because I was that old. But yeah 96 for life haha.

Avery4Byng*

on our old jerseys i wore 87 because of donald brashear................

new ones I am 32 because Brad May was unreal as #32.

Ri hards

Jun 21, 2004
The two numbers I've worn for any length of time are 4 and 2. I wore 4 for about 3 seasons from Bantam to Midget because I thought it was a good number for a defenseman, and because Blake was a monster back then.

When I got to Juvi after midget, I had to take a different number because it was already taken. I went with 2 for MacInnis. Since the switch, I've ended up playing the best hockey in my life, so I've stuck with it for the last 6 years.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
2-12. Whatever traditional D-man number isn't taken, ideally 6 or 11, after Kasparaitis. I don't like #10, though. 10 is too flashy. To me it says "Lookit me, I'm a pefect 10!". It reminds of Pavel Bure too, and I don't skate like him.

Niftygrl16

Dec 20, 2006
Rhode Island
I've always been a jersey number afficionado, so when it came time to choose a number for my beer league a few years ago, I went with 26, in honor of Glen Wesley from his old B's days. I grew up a fan of his game, eventhough Ray Bourque is my all-time favorite, but there's no way I'd ever wear 77. Besides, some other guy took it.

26 is not too flashy, it's a working man's number, and that's a reflection of my playing style.

Loved Glen Wesley! Was so happy to see him finally win the cup.....just like Bourque, but too bad they had to leave Boston to win it:( .

Anyway.........I wear #16 in honor of my hero growing up Rick Middleton. I had the pleasure of playing on the same line with him last year and it was one of the highlights of my life!!!

Nice to see another Rhode Islander by the way:)

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
What number haven't I worn?

5 - Vishnevski (I like to hit)
9 - played on the red wings at the time
13 - last jersey in my size
17 - I'm not sure why I picked 17, I just liked it (still wear this one)
23 - another number I don't know why I picked but always liked
27 - me and and the fiance started dating on december 27th many years ago (still wear this one)
94 - Shanahan wore it and when I wore it he was the best power forward in the game with a number I liked
96 - because someone messed up 94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad