What jersey number do you wear and why?

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I've always been a jersey number afficionado, so when it came time to choose a number for my beer league a few years ago, I went with 26, in honor of Glen Wesley from his old B's days. I grew up a fan of his game, eventhough Ray Bourque is my all-time favorite, but there's no way I'd ever wear 77. Besides, some other guy took it.

26 is not too flashy, it's a working man's number, and that's a reflection of my playing style.

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
My last name is Howe, so I went with 9. For the record, I'm no where near Gordon's skill level, but I thought it fit.

Vintage93

Apr 2, 2006
Toronto
91 normally, I have no real reason why... This year I changed to 19 to honour Stevie Y (also looks great with the C on my chest).

TheSabre

When I was younger, I wore 71 because it was the number of the school bus that went by my house. (Weird reason, I know - but the number stuck in my head).

A few years ago, I switched to 87 because I was born in 1987. (In all reality, I'm six weeks and change younger than Sid the Kid. Sid: 8/7/1987 Me: 9/11/87 So if you think I switched as soon as I heard of Crosby, or have a serious liking for Crosby, you're horribly mistaken.)

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I wear 26, too, but it's for Martin St. Louis. I've always liked him (I'm short, too) and our team's colors are the same as Tampa Bay's. It's a bonus that it's also Brad Boyes' number, but I didn't know it was also Glen Wesley's. Cool -- I shift between wing and defense depending on what's needed. Not that I'm very good at either position. . .

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
When I was younger, I wore 71 because it was the number of the school bus that went by my house. (Weird reason, I know - but the number stuck in my head).

A few years ago, I switched to 87 because I was born in 1987. (In all reality, I'm six weeks and change younger than Sid the Kid. Sid: 8/7/1987 Me: 9/11/87 So if you think I switched as soon as I heard of Crosby, or have a serious liking for Crosby, you're horribly mistaken.)

Wow birthday on September 11th.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
8 - started wearing it for baseball because of Cal Ripken, Jr. I've stuck with it for all sports ever since.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
I haven't played for real in a couple of years, but I never really stuck to one number throughout my career(lol), but I did like odd numbers, I wore 27 and 29 the most. 15 for a little bit too.

And don't laugh but the 27 is for Shayne Corson. :) I was always a fan, and I guess I kind of played like him.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico

Our coach was handing out jerseys the first year and since I was a "ringer" (I hadn't offically decided to play with the team) all the other girls had chosen their numbers.

He went through the rest of the jerseys and started matching them with who he thought matched (NHL player wise)

Well he originally gave me #00 and said "We'll see."

First shift I went out, NAILED a girl, stole the puck and walked around her partner and scored. We were playing the "canucks"

He ran into the dressing room and threw me #14 and goes "Here ya go Raffi."

:D

Skroob*

#4, because its a good, traditional number for a defencemen.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
37...I like the number 7, factors of 7 numbers...but 37 just looked good to me when it came to choosing numbers that day. Guess it'll work well too if I ever wind up playing goalie again too.

Skyblaze

Aug 17, 2006
Montreal
I've stuck with #13 for a long time. It began when I didn't want to argue with people to get a certain number anymore (i wore #10 in my early years) so I went with the number that people tend to stay clear of because of some superstition.

It has served me well and I'll keep wearing it.

A buddy of mine likes having #88 or 80 because they make him look wider. I always thought it was hilarious (yet true).

Mogilny89

Jul 10, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
started with #89 for Mogilny when I was a peewee, then switched to #39 for high school and wore it all the way through college...partly for Dougie Weight, but more so for his passing skills, as I wanted to be an assist man. it worked :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->