What is your team Canada roster today?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Seems like the landscape has changed dramatically since the last true best-on-best tournament. What hasn't changed is that the left wing position is still lacking compared to the rest of Canada's roster. LD was completely up in the air but it looks like a top 3 has clearly emerged there this season.

Canada's group of LWs is stronger than its group of RWs, at least before centres are included. LD is stronger that it has been for most of the decade. Still worse than... every other decade for Canada going back pretty much as long as you want.

Defense is not as strong obviously, but the signs of the overall deterioration in the quality of the defense group could have been seen as early as 2010. One good thing is that defensemen can take some time to develop. For instance, would anyone in 2010 or even 2012 had seen M-E Vlasic as a top-four defenseman in 2014 and 2016? I wouldn't have. Vlasic never made the WJHCs when he was in junior. I suspect that trend will continue going forward. So long as we have one or two stud defensemen that can anchor the group (Doughty, Pietrangelo and probably Rielly at this point) and others than can fill in for a tournament or two (Giordano, Burns) we should be alright.

Vlasic was in the NHL for his last year of WJC eligibility. Have to think he would have made it. Missing the WJC due to being in the NHL is a good predictor of best on best potential.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Canada's group of LWs is stronger than its group of RWs, at least before centres are included. LD is stronger that it has been for most of the decade. Still worse than... every other decade for Canada going back pretty much as long as you want.

Vlasic was in the NHL for his last year of WJC eligibility. Have to think he would have made it. Missing the WJC due to being in the NHL is a good predictor of best on best potential.

Fair enough, and Vlasic was probably a bad example on my part. In my head I was more referring to guys like Giordano, an undrafted 35-year old who would probably be a top-4 defenseman for us if a best-on-best were played this summer/fall. Regardless, I don't disagree that our defense group, as a whole, is weaker than in 2010 or 2014 and probably weaker than those of some of the other elite nations. I do think help is on the way - Chabot and Makar look like absolute studs - but I recognize that we're in a bit of down time for defensemen at the moment.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
It's so sad Canada and the US have such a problem attracting NHL players. Canada is so patriotic when it comes to hockey, US as a country, still this? It's so weird. A lot of it has to do with having the proper coach I think. Grönborg puts his NHL'ers in the role they're the best at according to the team needs and play how they love playing hockey. Sweden has a new record for the number of NHL'ers this year.

Why is it so hard to give something back to all the fans in your society, who helped you be able to play hockey? Why can't it be seen as a great honor, instead of a vacation? Why must it just be a job?

European hockey fans LOVE seeing their best players represent their country, to get together and just have fun. And seemingly most of their players do too, often enough, especially with the olympics cancelled indefinitely. Why is this seen as such a hazzle by North American players? "My mom's cat has a birthday." Yeah, ok buddy.

Maybe it would be easier if it was every second year, but I love watching a world tournament every year, so I can't complain. How can the most non-patriotic countries have the most patriotic players?

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Shouldn't Binnington win something before he gets penciled in as a third goalie?

yeah, I didn't even notice that a few posters wrote him in as the 3rd. goalie. It's a head scratcher for sure.

I got Binnington down as a 3rd. goalie as well. but it's on Canada's D Team. not the A Team. He's got some climbing to do.

Reactions: Patric Hornqvist

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's so sad Canada and the US have such a problem attracting NHL players. Canada is so patriotic when it comes to hockey, US as a country, still this? It's so weird. A lot of it has to do with having the proper coach I think. Grönborg puts his NHL'ers in the role they're the best at according to the team needs and play how they love playing hockey. Sweden has a new record for the number of NHL'ers this year.

Why is it so hard to give something back to all the fans in your society, who helped you be able to play hockey? Why can't it be seen as a great honor, instead of a vacation? Why must it just be a job?

European hockey fans LOVE seeing their best players represent their country, to get together and just have fun. And seemingly most of their players do too, often enough, especially with the olympics cancelled indefinitely. Why is this seen as such a hazzle by North American players? "My mom's cat has a birthday." Yeah, ok buddy.

Maybe it would be easier if it was every second year, but I love watching a world tournament every year, so I can't complain. How can the most non-patriotic countries have the most patriotic players?

You're looking at it the wrong way. For Canadian players (and I'm quite sure for American players) it isn't viewed as giving something back to the fans, because it isn't a very big deal to the fans. The players themslves very likely grew up not viewing it as a big deal. There are some who do view the tournament as a big deal (Chabot seems to, Duchene did/does) but it's quite different from the situation for European players who grew up viewing the tournament in a very different way. I expect that for most players from Canada anyway, the tournament is viewed mainly as a consolation event because they could not attain their goal.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Canadians don’t really watch this tournament with the same zeal as other tourneys including the Olympics and WJCs.

So they don’t really need players to attend to give anything back.

It’s a European tournament. People all over Europe tune in and travel to the host city.

I’ve been myself to the one in Hannover. Of course, I was living in Germany at the time.

Those Canadians at these tournaments are going to be expats or family members.

Meanwhile, it takes place in the afternoon or morning during working hours in Canada.

With secondary media profile behind the NHL playoffs, and a lack of viewership, I don’t see how anyone sees it as owing Canada anything.

The Olympics were a good carrot for player attendance but thanks to the NHL that’s gone now too.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Price
Binnington
Murray

Doughty - Burns
Pietroangelo - Giordano
Parayko - Rielly
Subban - Letang

Hall - McDavid - Mackinnon
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Benn - Seguin - Stone
Scheifele - Toews - O.Rielly
Point, Marner

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Price
Holtby
Binnington/Hart

Giordano-Burns
Pietrangelo-Parayko
Rielly-Doughty
Subban

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Hall-McDavid-MacKinnon
Seguin-Scheifele-Marner
Giroux-Couturier-Stone
ROR

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Hall - Mcdavid - MacKinnon
Giroux - Stamkos - Marner
Benn - Couturier - Seguin
Tavares

Giordano - Burns
Reilly - Letang
Chabot - Doughty
Pietrangelo

Price
Fleury
Binnington

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Fleury,Price,Holtby

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Tavares McDavid MacKinnon
Stamkos Giroux Seguin
Monahan Towes O'Reilly
Couturier Scheifele Stone/Marner

Burns-Pietrangelo
Doughty-Muzzin
Giordano-Rielly
Subban-Ellis

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Man, imagine the damage Hall and McDavid could do together... shame we couldn't see them both on the Oil... lol

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hall McDavid MacKinnon
Marchand Crosby Bergeron
O'Reilly Scheifele Stone
Giroux Tavares Marner
Toews, Point

Giordano Doughty
Rielly Pietrangelo
Morrissey Burns
Subban, Chabot

Price
Holtby
Young guy

I don't necessarily love my own line combinations. I like the C-RW pairings and Marchand belongs on his line, but I could see any of the other LWs on any other line as well. Toews still makes it as a veteran who can contribute in a variety of ways. The second and third listed forward lines get the main matchups and the other two lines feast on other teams' depth lines when possible. To break with the way Canada usually does it I'd also play the top defensive pairing a fair bit more than the others, mainly because Canada's depth on defence is a bit down from where it was. Morrissey may seem like a surprise but I see him as a Norris contender soon. He's always been a smart offensive player and a good passer but he's become very strong defensively as well.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I'm getting my phone lit up with email notifications for this thread and I'm wondering what the hell is going on...is there a best on best tournament in the offing I'm not aware of?

I'd play Chabot as the 7th D over Subban at the moment. If a game were to be played today.

but who's to say how things could unfold over the next 2 years. Subban could be a Norris contender for the next two.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Huberdeau - McDavid - Seguin
O'Reilly - MacKinnon - Marner
Couturier - Scheifele - Stone
Toews

Rielly - Doughty
Morrissey - Pietrangelo
Giordano - Burns
Chabot

Price
Holtby
Fleury

OKOptimistic

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I think I've posted already before but:

Hall McDavid MacKinnon
Marchand Crosby Bergeron
O'Reilly Scheifele Stone
Tavares Toews Stamkos
Giroux

Rielly Doughty
Giordano Pietrangelo
Burns Chabot
Morrissey

Price
Holtby
Fleury

Reactions: DFAC

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
A team that can "underdog" Finland. A team of erratic hockey stick marodeurs, defense first, fight for the puck in all situations, standing in the way for shots, strong individually team guys that stays out of the penalty box and that have not scored more than 40 points in the NHL. Must consist of a promising young player not in the NHL, a goalie on fire, a giant and a coach who brings out the best when it comes to team play. Few of the players should have a future or be drafted high. Now is the time in their lives. Miracle on ice so to speak. Not for one moment thinking they are something. Which they are not.

Do such a team exist? Could be a few AHL players. Maybe a guy in KHL or swedish second league. Thinking Cedric Paquette and maybe Michael Rasmussen here. Jake Dotchin should be an integral part of this team. Jordan Binnington almost eligible for this team. Enough AHL games. Daniel Carr is a lock.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I think I've posted already before but:

Hall McDavid MacKinnon
Marchand Crosby Bergeron
O'Reilly Scheifele Stone
Tavares Toews Stamkos
Giroux

Rielly Doughty
Giordano Pietrangelo
Burns Chabot
Morrissey

Price
Holtby
Fleury

I like most of this but would put Subban in with Gio

Rielly Doughty
Giordano Subban
Burns Pietrangelo
Chabot

I'd also find some way to fit Benn into that bottom 6

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Hall McDavid MacKinnon
Marchand Crosby Bergeron
O'Reilly Scheifele Stone
Giroux Tavares Marner
Toews, Point

Giordano Doughty
Rielly Pietrangelo
Morrissey Burns
Subban, Chabot

Price
Holtby
Young guy

I don't necessarily love my own line combinations. I like the C-RW pairings and Marchand belongs on his line, but I could see any of the other LWs on any other line as well. Toews still makes it as a veteran who can contribute in a variety of ways. The second and third listed forward lines get the main matchups and the other two lines feast on other teams' depth lines when possible. To break with the way Canada usually does it I'd also play the top defensive pairing a fair bit more than the others, mainly because Canada's depth on defence is a bit down from where it was. Morrissey may seem like a surprise but I see him as a Norris contender soon. He's always been a smart offensive player and a good passer but he's become very strong defensively as well.

The only thing I'd pay attention to with the lineup you posted is faceoff ability. I like the idea of McDavid and MacKinnon playing together, but both are very weak on the faceoff dot and with the amount of ice time this line would presumably get, I'd be a little careful and have someone like, say, Toews dressed and ready to go and maybe even playing up alongside McDavid and MacKinnon on that first line in place of Hall. In addition to faceoff ability, Toews brings a strong forechecking game and the ability to handle the typical centreman's responsibilities in the defensive zone (which would be a large upgrade over McDavid). Toews is also used to playing big minutes in important games, too.

Crosby/Bergeron/Marchand - check. This line really has all of the bases covered.

Scheifele is poor on the faceoff dot, but O'Reilly is one of the best.

Tavares and Giroux are also both excellent.

Overall, I'm not sure who I'dd. It would be someone on the margins; maybe I'd add Couture, or Seguin, or Benn, and remove someone like Marner...but that's not a big deal. Good team, good defense group.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I've been an O'Reilly supporter for quite some time now. For me he was a pretty easy add to the 2018 Olympic team and would be an easy addition to a 2020 World Cup team. Looks like he's probably made those thoughts look reasonable now.

The only thing I'd pay attention to with the lineup you posted is faceoff ability. I like the idea of McDavid and MacKinnon playing together, but both are very weak on the faceoff dot and with the amount of ice time this line would presumably get, I'd be a little careful and have someone like, say, Toews dressed and ready to go and maybe even playing up alongside McDavid and MacKinnon on that first line in place of Hall. In addition to faceoff ability, Toews brings a strong forechecking game and the ability to handle the typical centreman's responsibilities in the defensive zone (which would be a large upgrade over McDavid). Toews is also used to playing big minutes in important games, too.

Crosby/Bergeron/Marchand - check. This line really has all of the bases covered.

Scheifele is poor on the faceoff dot, but O'Reilly is one of the best.

Tavares and Giroux are also both excellent.

Overall, I'm not sure who I'dd. It would be someone on the margins; maybe I'd add Couture, or Seguin, or Benn, and remove someone like Marner...but that's not a big deal. Good team, good defense group.

I'd hope that the coach runs the forward lines pretty evenly at even strength ad the McDavid and Tavares lines would avoid defensive zone starts when possible. I could see moving up O'Reilly to the McDavid line, with Hall going to the Scheifele line, to provide more balance if necessary. This leaves the Scheifele line more susceptible though. If Babcock were the coach I imagine that he would be looking for a faceoff guy on every line. Marner is very debatable to me. I'm not sure how a playmaking winger would do on team Canada, and if Seguin or Stamkos were at their goal scoring best I would lean toward them. With Tavares playing more as a finisher in Toronto this year however I could see the line functioning in an almost typical manner, plus Giroux is accustomed to playing with a playmaking RW in Voracek. I suppose overall it is a good problem to have.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Hall -- McDavid -- MacKinnon
Stamkos ---Tavares --- Marner
Scheifele --- O'Rielly -- Seguin

Giordano - Doughty
Rielly - Pietrangelo
Burns ------ Subban

Goalie

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I've been an O'Reilly supporter for quite some time now. For me he was a pretty easy add to the 2018 Olympic team and would be an easy addition to a 2020 World Cup team. Looks like he's probably made those thoughts look reasonable now.

One of the aspects of the World Championships that I find fascinating is that you can sometimes see a player emerging into a future role at that tournament.

Brent Burns, Ryan O'Reilly, now Mark Stone, you had these guys with talent but who really stepped up for Canada and then parlayed that into a step up in expectations for their NHL play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad