What is your team Canada roster today?

OKOptimistic

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
lots of things I can nitpick about that roster, but who in the hell are these 2 RHD named Dubois and Patrick under the age of 28? what am I missing?

I meant Bouchard and Nolan Patrick, and yeah there was players like Stone, Seguin, O'Reilly and many more but I just wanted to see the next generation

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Made an under 28 team which will retire the Crosby Bergeron and Marchand line along with others:

Hall McDavid MacKinnon
Point Barzal Scheifele
Skinner Couturier Marner
Reinhart Monahan Strome

Reilly Chabot
Morrissey Ekblad
Parayko Dubois
Bouchard Patrick

Carter Hart

The future of Canada is in good hands
Why are 2 centers playing D? Makes no sense.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
It's a shame that with this exercise, you have to take all the top young kids out and put them on Team North America, and do the same for the 'Muricans.

I'd be fine with the World Cup replacing the Olympics if they didn't mess with the national teams format like they did last time. It stands to reason that we can't have nice things, so they'll probably repeat the travesty. Same goes for the deep Frankenstein's monster of a Team Europe.

Thanks, Gary.

Agreed. Sure the team was exciting but the format was stupid + explaining Team North America and Europe to casual fans in Sweden/Finland was annoying.

"It's Canada and USA put together but only the ones that under 24 year olds... yes Canada and USA still have their own teams but they have to be over that age.. and Team Europe is Europe but not all of Europe only some of it"

Last edited:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Keith was a fantastic d-man in his prime, Petro is a dandy all around guy,Vlasic at his best is a great defensive defenseman, letang I might give you there.

I just don't see the problem and I think you are underrating some of of our younger guys a lot. A guy like Reilly around here seems to catch a lot of flack except from leaf fans but he plays the tough minutes for the Leafs and does a credible job doing it and he is like tied for 6th overall in scoring in the league right now, I mean, what does the guy have to do?

Chabot............have you seen him play? skys the limit.

Parayko, good and will get even better most likely.

Morrisey, so smooth and smart, he will be on future Team Canadas, book it.

People rave about the yanks young guns on the back end but what does a werenski have over Reilly at this moment? nothing, in fact he is not as good. Posters Rave about trouba as part of their young core but I get to watch a lot of jets games here out West and every game I watch Morrisey is the better player and Jets fans on their board from what I have been reading the last year and a bit seem to a man to agree.

Girard is coming along nicely too, if he was an American d-man he would be pimped more no question. it seems to be a bit of the rage around here these days.

It's weird, it seems that young Canadian defensemen get automatically underrated on HF these days, not sure how this strange phenomenom crept in around here.

Very, very odd thing on HF.

While I agree Canada's D is promising as usual... Girard would not have been more hyped up if he was American.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Can you imagine Mcdavid, Crosby and Mackinon as our 3 centers? We need to see it

and soon. Crosby hasn't got many international tournaments left to play in his career.

it would take an incredibly bad day/game and an entire string of bad luck fluke occurrences to beat a team with those 3 centers.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
It's true, and the team in general is worse. Many won't accept it though.

who knows what the whole picture will look like when we see a best on best in 2+ years, if we indeed will see one, but, are our main competitors (Sweden and the U.S.) that much improved relative to how "not as strong" Canada is now compared to years 2010-16? 14 of the top 20 centers are Canadian. 10 or 11 of them would be on any Team Canada best on best format. I really don't think there's a team out there that can handle it, other than Canada having a really off day and some classic M.A. Fleury goofy goaltending circa 2004 WJC.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
who knows what the whole picture will look like when we see a best on best in 2+ years, if we indeed will see one, but, are our main competitors (Sweden and the U.S.) that much improved relative to how "not as strong" Canada is now compared to years 2010-16? 14 of the top 20 centers are Canadian. 10 or 11 of them would be on any Team Canada best on best format. I really don't think there's a team out there that can handle it, other than Canada having a really off day and some classic M.A. Fleury goofy goaltending circa 2004 WJC.

I was talking in the absolute sense, but in the relative sense Canada is certainly weaker still. Very likely still better than the other teams in say 2022, but not by nearly as much as has generally been the case this decade.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I was talking in the absolute sense, but in the relative sense Canada is certainly weaker still. Very likely still better than the other teams in say 2022, but not by nearly as much as has generally been the case this decade.
I would agree with this, think the gap has been shortened.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
It's true, and the team in general is worse. Many won't accept it though.

I honestly think it's a healthy sign of increased competition. USA/Finland/Sweden/Switzerland's (Russia's?) young D's are better than ever so the Canadians no longer look as dominant in comparison.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I honestly think it's a healthy sign of increased competition. USA/Finland/Sweden/Switzerland's (Russia's?) young D's are better than ever so the Canadians no longer look as dominant in comparison.

Canada's defencemen don't look good compared to Canada's past, regardless of what other countries are doing. That's the issue that I see. Some other countries are definitely doing better, and good for them. It's been a weak generation for Canada though and that shouldn't be so easily accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear12Good

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Canada's don't look good compared to Canada's past, regardless of what other countries are doing. That's the issue that I see. Some other countries are definitely doing better, and good for them. It's been a weak generation for Canada though and that shouldn't be so easily accepted.
I agree. Very disappointing to see the lack of medals we've won the last 5-6 years. Outside of McDavid we have no other bright stars. Junior teams keep losing now, low character players, low skill. USA, Sweden, Finland and others have been doing better and turning over more NHL talent.

I feel like World Hockey championship will be Canada's best shot because of all the Canadians out of the playoffs. Many though don't attend for health and other reasons. I'd really like to see Hockey Canada step it up with our young teams, hard to expect much from Bob Nicholson.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Seems like the landscape has changed dramatically since the last true best-on-best tournament. What hasn't changed is that the left wing position is still lacking compared to the rest of Canada's roster. LD was completely up in the air but it looks like a top 3 has clearly emerged there this season.

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
McDavid-Scheifele-MacKinnon (Not sure if this would work but give it a try lol)
Couturier-O'Reilly-Stone
Couture-Tavares-Marner
Point

Giordano-Doughty
Slavin*-Burns
Rielly-Pietrangelo
Subban

Price
Holtby
Binnington

*Edit: Oh god, Slavin is American? That's not good. Uhh, Vlasic it is.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Seems like the landscape has changed dramatically since the last true best-on-best tournament. What hasn't changed is that the left wing position is still lacking compared to the rest of Canada's roster. LD was completely up in the air but it looks like a top 3 has clearly emerged there this season.

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
McDavid-Scheifele-MacKinnon (Not sure if this would work but give it a try lol)
Couturier-O'Reilly-Stone
Couture-Tavares-Marner
Point

Giordano-Doughty
Slavin*-Burns
Rielly-Pietrangelo
Subban

Price
Holtby
Binnington

*Edit: Oh god, Slavin is American? That's not good. Uhh, Vlasic it is.
Well, there is a Canadian LW who is 5th in points in the NHL the last 2 years, that you left off.

Not surprisingly, Giroux is overlooked again.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Well, there is a Canadian LW who is 5th in points in the NHL the last 2 years, that you left off.

Not a big Hall guy, although I know most will have him on the team. I don't think there's any way Giroux is making it. There are just too many good right-handed players. I didn't have Seguin on the team either.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

there's also a LWer who won the Hart in 2018 that he forgot to include. and there's also a LWer in Dallas that still has 1 best on best tournament left in him.

I'll take a Hall McDavid MacKinnon 2nd line that would rip it up.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I personally think that our group at forward is as deep, if not deeper, than it has been in recent memory (since, say, the 2006 Olympics onward). Crosby, McDavid, MacKinnon down the middle is, frankly, absurd, without even getting into guys like Tavares, O'Reilly, Schiefele, Point, and others that can slot in at the wing position. And Toews is still playing at a high enough level that I personally would give him a roster spot on a best-on-best team.

Defense is not as strong obviously, but the signs of the overall deterioration in the quality of the defense group could have been seen as early as 2010. One good thing is that defensemen can take some time to develop. For instance, would anyone in 2010 or even 2012 had seen M-E Vlasic as a top-four defenseman in 2014 and 2016? I wouldn't have. Vlasic never made the WJHCs when he was in junior. I suspect that trend will continue going forward. So long as we have one or two stud defensemen that can anchor the group (Doughty, Pietrangelo and probably Rielly at this point) and others than can fill in for a tournament or two (Giordano, Burns) we should be alright.

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
Hall-McDavid-Mack
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Benn-Tavares-Marner
Giroux-Scheifele-Stone
Stamkos

Rielly-Doughty
Giordano-Burns
Vlasic-Subban