What is your team Canada roster today?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Your boy, Anthony, (DRW fan) had himself a game last night and is having a pretty scorching start to the season. making a case for elevation to the A Team. I'd like to see him sniping some shots on some sweet feeds from McDavid.

I hope he gets his contract sorted out soon. I'd like to see him give the WHC another run this year.

Yes, I've been a booster for a while. I'd have him as a B level player for now unless he really steps up as a 40 goal scorer or adds a better defenensive element, but he does check a lot of boxes for a complementary player at the top level. Huge, really good skater, natural winger, good shot. The core elements are there.

SG1990

Apr 11, 2019
Canada has some of the best two-way forwards in the league... so I would put at least one or two great defensive forwards on every line.
Also there won't be any best on best tournaments for at least a couple years so anyone over the age of 34 I'm leaving off and I'll try and do a 2021 line-up.

Stone - Crosby - McDavid
MacKinnon - Point - Marchand
Stamkos - Couturier - Tavares
Scheifele - O'Rielly - Barzal

Makar - Pietrangelo
Chabot - Parayko
Rielly - Doughty

Price
Holtby
Binnington

Reactions: Makar27

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Mackinnon- Mcdavid- Stone
Scheiffele- Tavares- Marner
O'Reilly- Point-Stamkos
Toews

Chabot- Doughty
Rielly-Pietrangelo
Vlasic-Burns
Makar

Price
Holtby
Hart

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Okay, Ladies and Gents. and Team Canada fantasy GM aficionados

Team Canada 25 man roster at the 1/4 pole.

Marchand Sid Bergeron. (there's still 1 gold medal left in these guys as a #1 line)
Huberdeau McDavid MacKinnon
Hall Tavares Marner
O'Reilly Scheifele Stone
Giroux Mantha

Rielly Pietrangelo
Giordano Doughty
Chabot Makar (I'm all in on Makar. kid is electric. and what a dynamic duo these 2 will make. if we ever get to see a real best v best tournament ever again)
Morrissey Burns

Price (I'm giving Price the benefit of the doubt for now, but he's close to demotion to backup role)
Bennington
Fleury

There are a few players here that are underperforming somewhat to start the season, but I'm sure they could pull it together with an Olympic gold on the line.

The B-team is a hot mess at the moment. a whole bunch of underperformers.

Reactions: Makar27

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Marchand Sid Bergeron. (there's still 1 gold medal left in these guys as a #1 line)
Hall Tavares Marner
O'Reilly Scheifele Stone
Giroux Mantha

Rielly Pietrangelo
Giordano Doughty
Chabot Makar (I'm all in on Makar. kid is electric. and what a dynamic duo these 2 will make. if we ever get to see a real best v best tournament ever again)
Morrissey Burns

Price (I'm giving Price the benefit of the doubt for now, but he's close to demotion to backup role)
Bennington
Fleury

There are a few players here that are underperforming somewhat to start the season, but I'm sure they could pull it together with an Olympic gold on the line.

Makar is indeed looking like a monster.

gotyournose

Oct 24, 2019
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
McDavid - Tavares - MacKinnon
Stone - O'Reilly - scheifele
Duchene - Stamkos - Seguin
Toews

Reilly - Doughty
Pietrengrelo - Burns
Morrissey - parayko
Chabot, Maker

Price
Holtby
Murray

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
u23 team canada:

Konecny - McDavid - Marner
Dubois - Barzal - Strome
Beauvilier - Steel - Jost
Crouse - Cirelli - Joseph

Chabot - Makar
Chychrun - Fabbro
Girard - Mete

Hart

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Mcdavid-Barzal-Mackinnon
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
O'Rielly-Scheifele-Stone
Dubois-Point-Stamkos
Huberdeau-Couturier-Marner

Rielly-Doughty
Chabot-Pietrangelo
Giordano-Makar
Parayko

Binnington
Price
Holtby

My 3 big omissions. Tavares, Burns and Hall.

Tavares looks too slow to me, by 2021 i dont see him making the team. Burns just plays too risky of a game. Hall, I just dont like he is out of control stylistically so i dont see him generating quick chemistry in a short tournament.

To me the top 9 forwards are set with two matchup lines and a first line that would simply be impossible to stop. Its a battle from the bottom 6 forwards to stay in the lineup.

Reactions: jfc64 and Garyboy

86Habs

May 4, 2009

Hall Tavares Marner
O'Reilly Scheifele Stone
Giroux Mantha

Rielly Pietrangelo
Giordano Doughty
Morrissey Burns

Bennington
Fleury

Thoughts on the coaching staff? Even before the recent issues, from the perspective of "nothing left to prove" it was highly doubtful Babcock would return as our national team coach. Without putting too much thought into it my initial view be that Alain Vigneault would get a long look. Highly respected and experienced, recent international experience (2019 Worlds), conservative/safe choice.

I also struggle with how to line up McDavid and MacKinnon, and whether to play them on the same line or deploy them separately. A McDavid / Crosby / MacKinnon trio down the middle would be nice, but McDavid is barely respectable at faceoffs (~50%) while MacKinnon is poor (~42%). This, along with our relatively poor depth at the natural wing positions, would require some centers to shift over to the wing.

For the forwards, for a 2021 World Cup I think a lineup like this would make sense:

O'Reilly / McDavid / MacKinnon
Marchand / Crosby / Bergeron
Tavares / Scheifele / Stamkos
Giroux / Couturier / Stone
Point

By my count, only MacKinnon, O'Reilly and Tavares are not natural, or converted centers. Both Giroux and Stamkos have played significant time on the wing in recent years. Tavares was converted to the wing at the 2016 World Cup and didn't look out of place. O'Reilly has shifted to the wing in the past at international tournaments, and he's needed on the first line to provide defensive cover and corner work for McDavid and MacKinnon, and to take faceoffs (O'Reilly is near the top of the league in this category).

I like Scheifele as the prototypical big bodied centerman, able to take advantage of favourable matchups with Tavares and Stamkos. He's played well in a depth role internationally in the past. I struggled a bit with slotting in Stamkos but he's still able to add elite goal scoring ability from the wing position and has rounded out his game over the past several years. He's also strong on faceoffs (~58% this year) and could be deployed effectiely on one of the PP units.

Fourth line is a depth line, a solid group of defensive players who can add some elite faceoff ability from both sides and chemistry with the Philly players. On the PK, I'd rotate through Marchand/Bergeron, Giroux/Couturier, and O'Reilly/Stone. Looks very solid to me.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Thoughts on the coaching staff? Even before the recent issues, from the perspective of "nothing left to prove" it was highly doubtful Babcock would return as our national team coach. Without putting too much thought into it my initial view be that Alain Vigneault would get a long look. Highly respected and experienced, recent international experience (2019 Worlds), conservative/safe choice.

I also struggle with how to line up McDavid and MacKinnon, and whether to play them on the same line or deploy them separately. A McDavid / Crosby / MacKinnon trio down the middle would be nice, but McDavid is barely respectable at faceoffs (~50%) while MacKinnon is poor (~42%). This, along with our relatively poor depth at the natural wing positions, would require some centers to shift over to the wing.

For the forwards, for a 2021 World Cup I think a lineup like this would make sense:

O'Reilly / McDavid / MacKinnon
Marchand / Crosby / Bergeron
Tavares / Scheifele / Stamkos
Giroux / Couturier / Stone
Point

By my count, only MacKinnon, O'Reilly and Tavares are not natural, or converted centers. Both Giroux and Stamkos have played significant time on the wing in recent years. Tavares was converted to the wing at the 2016 World Cup and didn't look out of place. O'Reilly has shifted to the wing in the past at international tournaments, and he's needed on the first line to provide defensive cover and corner work for McDavid and MacKinnon, and to take faceoffs (O'Reilly is near the top of the league in this category).

I like Scheifele as the prototypical big bodied centerman, able to take advantage of favourable matchups with Tavares and Stamkos. He's played well in a depth role internationally in the past. I struggled a bit with slotting in Stamkos but he's still able to add elite goal scoring ability from the wing position and has rounded out his game over the past several years. He's also strong on faceoffs (~58% this year) and could be deployed effectiely on one of the PP units.

Fourth line is a depth line, a solid group of defensive players who can add some elite faceoff ability from both sides and chemistry with the Philly players. On the PK, I'd rotate through Marchand/Bergeron, Giroux/Couturier, and O'Reilly/Stone. Looks very solid to me.

Vigneault certainly would be in the running for the gig. I kind of like Trotz for it a little bit more atm. then there's Coach Q, all 3 should be in the running.

As for how McD and MacK and how they would mesh/FOW%. I haven't got that deep into the weeds other than Nate has proven he can transition to the wing and do it well at the WHC, either on the left or right side. for key FOs I'd probably send out a competent center to take the draw and then switch up w/ possession. Looking at your roster, the 3 would be either ROR, Claude or Courturier.

on my roster I really never gave it much thought, but for sure it is a consideration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->