OT: What is your handedness, hockey and otherwise?

What hand are you for 1) hockey, 2) baseball/softball batting, 3) throwing/writing/life?

• Left, right, left

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm weird and throw with a different hand than I write with.

• Right, right, left

• Total voters

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
What is your handedness, for hockey, and otherwise?

Me: Shoot left, bat right, throw/write right.
I've always wondered whether it's more the norm to shoot opposite of your throwing hand or not.
Since most goalies shoot left / catch left, and right handed throwing and writing is most common, long ago I assumed it was the norm to "be like me".
But, e.g., Eichel and Reinhart are right shots. Are they left-handed in life?

What are you?

Note: My dad was taught to write right-handed in a Catholic school era where that's how they taught, but he was left handed and the two times in my life we played baseball catch, he threw left.
Hockey / Bat / Throw / Write
Dad: ?? / ?? / L / R
Me: L / R / R / R
Sister: R / L / R / R
Brother: L / R / L / L

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
You left me out... im a Left, Left, Right

Hockey: Shoot left, catch left
Baseball: Bat left, throw right
Golf: Left
Write: Right
Lightsabre: Left
Surfing/Board: Regular

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Shoot/Hockey: Left
Bat: Right
Throw/Write: Right
Jump(used to do high jump in HS): Left leg/foot

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'm left handed, but play goalie with a left handed catching glove. When I play out, I also play left handed. Strong hand concept for kids wasn't a thing in the late 80s.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Started playing hockey righty, but had to morph my game to avoid taking out the kitchen light.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I'm a righty through and through in the arm department, but ambidextrous in the legs.

I don't understand the whole right-handed left-hand shot thing. But I'm biased.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Right shoot, right catch/bat, right write.
Used to play hell with being in goal... I catch with my left, so I had to swap hands to shoot right to clear.

Last edited:

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Your strong hand being your stick hand will typically mean harder slap shot and weaker wrist/snap shot and vice versa.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous
Not as glamorous as people think.
I was stronger throwing with my left, but also caught with my left. Shot and batted stronger right though.

Shattered my right elbow when I was 16, the left arm only got stronger, but 3 years later my right was a beast.

I ultimately chose right primarily (joined the military at 18, they were, shall we say, persuasive in the decision process).
But I can still write with either. Funny thing, strong cursive on right, strong print on left :D

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
All left. Kick left too.

Except the drums.

I also play the guitar left handed. But's it gotta be a right handed guitar. It's weird.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I do most things righty but my left hand is better at some things or equally as good on a lot of things.

60-70% of Americans shoot righty while 60-70% of Canadiens shoot lefty. A lot of people actually try to force people to play left handed in Canada because they think they will score more going blocker side as a lefty with the better angle...the problem with this is if you're not a natural with that hand you may be losing any advantage you may have. Goalies often say a good backhand is one of the hardest shots to stop which would benefit a righty more blocker side. 15 of the top 25 goal scorers in the NHL shot right handed despite lefties being much more common...so hopefully this myth dies and people let their kids pick whichever hand.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I'm surprised to see so many L/L/R's like myself. My right eye is better than the left so I thought that may be part of the LLR pattern however maybe it is a coincidence. I golf left as well but in a pinch have played hockey and golf with a right swing even though it feels unnatural swinging that way.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Not as glamorous as people think.
I was stronger throwing with my left, but also caught with my left. Shot and batted stronger right though.

Shattered my right elbow when I was 16, the left arm only got stronger, but 3 years later my right was a beast.

I ultimately chose right primarily (joined the military at 18, they were, shall we say, persuasive in the decision process).
But I can still write with either. Funny thing, strong cursive on right, strong print on left :D
Biologically I'm a righty but I identify as a lefty. My older brothers are lefties. I grew up copying them until the adults set me straight. lol

Reactions: Yatzhee

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005
All Left

Throw
Bat
Shoot
Kick
Eat

I don’t think the right side of my brain works either.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Not a hockey player...but here goes.

Right handed for everyday life.
Left hand reaches for stuff on impulse.
Right footed for soccer, left is close to garbage in terms of shooting.
Right eye is far sighted and left is near sighted.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
L/R/R, unless we're talking carpet knee hockey with the kids, can't shoot lefty with those little toothpick-like sticks.

Growing up, all my buddies shot righty, which made it a pain the ass when I broke a stick and a teammate handed me one of theirs from the bench.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I'm a righty through and through in the arm department, but ambidextrous in the legs.

I don't understand the whole right-handed left-hand shot thing. But I'm biased.

Power hand on top of stick. Blade is then on the opposite side. In/out motion is essential to puck control and finer tuned hockey stick movement and control.

As far as shooting goes, when you take a shot, there are essentially two semi fixed points. The hand on top of your stick and the bottom of the blade of your stick which makes contact with the ice just before the puck. In between is the whip or torque of the stick. The stronger hand on top helps make the shaft of the stick bend or whip. The torque (flex) of the stick used should be commensurate with the strength of hand/arm on the top of the stick. (Jrs = 65/70 flex, Srs = 95/100 flex) All these factors together determines the velocity of the puck (plus stance, leg strength, control of center of gravity and follow thru). All things considered and equal, weaker hand on top, less velocity. The shaft of the stick acts like the bow in archery.

Shooting mechanics are really the proper implementation of elementary physics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad