What is Your Guess of a Bergevin "Re-Tool"?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
relax....his version of re-tooling means making one or two of his usual trades....he trades a ten dollar bill for two five dollar bills

You’re giving him a little too much credit.

He trades a 10 dollar bill for a 5, a Toonie, a loonie and 4 quarters and thinks he’s come out ahead.

Or, he trades 1 $200,00 yacht for 4 $50,000 boats, but only to have 2 of them leaking.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I really wonder if any GM will be dumb enough to take that Lolzner contract off of us

If his play doesn't decline, they might be able to trade him after 2 years. Next season he gets 6M (f*** you MB), then 4.625M the following. The last 2 years he gets 6.5M total so if you retain half (2.3M a year) that would mean the team that gets him would only have to pay him 700K and 1.2M over 2 years. So if you have a team that wants someone with a higher cap hit but cheap salary it could maybe work.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I agree, his year end exit interview with the media had him stating that what counted for him was where he would be playing, not how much he would be making. Pretty certain that Pacioretty is ripe for a home town discount on a 5 or 6 year deal, provided he gets an offer in the offseason.

If MON can't get fair value for Pacioretty, I would entertain the idea of keeping him and moving Galchenyuk instead. I'm still not sold on Galchenyuk wanting to re-sign with MON when his contract is over in just two years. We do know that Pacioretty wants to play here. We just need to make sure he isn't the go-to guy on offense and he will thrive in that role, IMHO.

MON needs help at C, period. LW depth for the top-9 should be (if Patches remains and Chucky is traded) Drouin, Pacioretty, Hudon, with a scoring RW to play with Drouin (may be early for Zadina, but an eventual fit, so Gallagher to start), a playmaking RW with Pacioretty (Scherbak fits the bill as one of our better playmakers, period) and a two-way RW for the third line (Zadina at first and Gallagher afterwards).

MON won't have elite depth at C any time soon, so getting three balanced lines and a solid fourth line should enable the head coach to roll out for lines, with the top three lines (including Gallagher in an eventual 3rd line role -- the heresy, I know) getting comparable ice time and appropriate match-ups against opponents' lines.

I could see a trade of Galchenyuk, Weber and Lehkonen with FLA for Matheson, Borgström and the 15th pick. FLA won't be hurting at C with the young talent and depth already present on their team at the position and the GM did say that their priority was acquiring a top-4 D on the right side to play with Yandle because they were giving up too many goals. I'd even throw in the 66th pick if necessary

With MON then signing a Stasny for 4 years at 7M (I like the term and we can afford the Cap hit), after signing Pacioretty for 5 years at 6.5M and Danault for 6 years at 3.5M, the lineup could look something like:

Drouin - Stasny - Gallagher
Pacioretty - Borgström - Scherbak
Hudon - Danault - Zadina
Byron - Evans - Shaw

Matheson - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen
Mete - Benn

I'd concentrate on picking Ds with our 2nd rounders, maybe trying to upgrade from the 15th pick (throwing in one of the 2nd rounders) to land a C (maybe Kotkaniemi, Hayton or Veleno) or a D like Bouchard, depending on how far he slips. There are enough quality Ds, as well, to land in the 2nd round, IMHO.

In the third year of the Stasny contract, I'd hope to see:

Drouin - Borgström - Zadina
Pacioretty - Poehling - Scherbak
Hudon - Stasny - Gallagher
Danault - Evans - Shaw

Matheson - Bouchard
Mete/MacIssac?/Alexeyev?/K'Andre Miller? - Brook
MacIssac?/Alexeyev?/K'Andre Miller?/Mete - Juulsen

In the last year of the Stasny contract, I'd either use him for a playoff push, or trade him at the deadline for futures, depending on players acquired at LW over time. Danault can easily replace him at C on the third line.
Or just do nothing and price collapses again and Habs draft a great centre next year. You could have saved all the writing.

Reactions: Runner77

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
He does play centre, he's been a #3 C behind Tavares, Nielsen and Barzal. Nelson has 3 seasons of 20+ goals and 40+ points playing 3rd line minutes. Give him a legit shot at top 6 minutes.

Bjugstad is a player that hasn't played at C the last 2 seasons .
Or no. Just tank again. Do not want any improvement to this team now. None. Do not want a number 12 pick next year. Nightmare.

Prometheus1

Oct 19, 2017
Canadaaa
I don't think the relationship with Patches is repairable. As captain you need someone confident and brings out the best in others. His massive droughts are replaceable. Especially with the raise he's about to get i would like somebody more competitive.

He seems like a passenger more than the leader of this team

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I don't think the relationship with Patches is repairable. As captain you need someone confident and brings out the best in others. His massive droughts are replaceable. Especially with the raise he's about to get i would like somebody more competitive.

He seems like a passenger more than the leader of this team

What about him being the point leader of this team for 6 f***ing years in a row?

The disrespect this guy gets it's just crazy tbh...

Just trade him so he can finish his career somewhere else and get the respect he deserves.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I know the following player doesn't fit the template you just provided...but as GM i'd nudge the team down the 417 whose owner is broke and is facing HUGE pressure to re-sign their superstar.

They've got Bobby Ryan signed at 7.5M/yr for another 4yrs...might be worth it to ask them what it would be worth to them to eat that contract.

Then again...maybe that's too big a hit to take.

Point being though, all options need to be explored.

This team is going to try and compete , I doubt they're going to take on bad contracts as if they are rebuilding.

We're not rebuilding.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
One really doesn't have to have anything to do with the other.

Exactly. If we had followed your proposal of taking on a toxic contract last summer in order to add a favorable asset that fills a need, we would have already had one year from that toxic contract elapsed by now. Instead of that, 9M in cap space lay dormant for a season.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I really wonder if any GM will be dumb enough to take that Lolzner contract off of us

Given how Vegas had to retain half for just a single season of Emelin at a similar cost and got a third round pick. I would imagine we’d half to retain the same 50% and all the years he has left would be a negative so we’d likely get even less in a trade to have $2.3 million in wasted cap space for 4 seasons.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
There are talented players who could put up stats and not compete based on talent alone.. Be content with mediocracy and regular season champions. Pay him 7 million a year to float around

How about finally get the team better around him?

Calling your best forward performer for the last half a decade a failure sounds quite dumb to be honest.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Calling your best forward performer for the last half a decade a failure sounds quite dumb to be honest.

Nice friendly use of the term 'sounds'. It is, plain and simple. hate is a powerful feeling.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Re-tool:

1. I think it is obvious that he plans on going all in on Tavares.

2. He hopes to trade Patches for a package before the draft.

3. If #1 doesn’t happen, he will look at others that also may fall through.

4. May attempt to sign some former NHL players/prospects from European leagues.

5. Play around with coaching and front office staff.

6. Prays that team rebounds from last year.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
With Lou Lamoriello taking over as part of the NYI, I wonder if it will convince Tavares to stay. That might make a situation where the NYI feel comfortable trading for Patches. I’d be comfortable with their two 1st for Patches.

Longshot, I know.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

dumb would be to consider regular season point production the key measuring stick for a player's "success".

Any true competitor would consider their season a failure if they failed to perform when it matters most, that's how elite athletes are wired.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Drink 24 bears, then hit yourself in the face with a brick 24 times, and start picking your roster - that's the only way to get close to Bergervin's mind.

I expect another Hemsky and another Alzner with an albatross contract.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Every time I see this thread title I instantly think it says "Bergevin is a tool" and I can't help it.

29g0fu.gif

Reactions: OldCraig71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->