What is your favorite bench clearing brawl?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well the 2 craziest i remember are #1 pre season game warmup hawks vs my northstars (aprox 1987) no refs on the ice and right outta slapshot everybody grabbed someone and started pounding eachother. richard zemlak was a rookie on my northstars who held his own. they had to delay the start of the game to scrape the blood off the ice! #2 herb brooks was the coach of the northstars and he was standing on the boards reaching over trying to grab the blues coach jacque demers? it was hilarious if you can find the vid.

Last edited:

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
well the 2 craziest i remember are #1 pre season game warmup hawks vs my northstars (aprox 1987) no refs on the ice and right outta slapshot everybody grabbed someone and started pounding eachother. richard zemlak was a rookie on my northstars who held his own. they had to delay the start of the game to scrape the blood off the ice! #2 herb brooks was the coach of the northstars and he was standing on the boards reaching over trying to grab the blues coach jacque demers? it was hilarious if you can find the vid.
Actually was in late December 1989. I was at that game. It was like midnight before that game ended. And there was a huge puddle of Wayne van corps blood on the ice.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I’ve never been able to find a video, but their was a Blues-Blackhawks brawl that had the main fight start in the near corner on the right and move in a half circle shape, finally ending in the near left corner, after moving out to center ice. After that one ended I recall new fights kept starting every time it seemed things had calmed down. The old barn was rocking that night! Literally as the upper level in the ends of the St. Louis Arena were suspended from the roof and when the crowd got into it they actually moved!

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
I’ve never been able to find a video, but their was a Blues-Blackhawks brawl that had the main fight start in the near corner on the right and move in a half circle shape, finally ending in the near left corner, after moving out to center ice. After that one ended I recall new fights kept starting every time it seemed things had calmed down. The old barn was rocking that night! Literally as the upper level in the ends of the St. Louis Arena were suspended from the roof and when the crowd got into it they actually moved!
The St Patrick's Day Massacre?

Reactions: CykaBlyat

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Actually was in late December 1989. I was at that game. It was like midnight before that game ended. And there was a huge puddle of Wayne van corps blood on the ice.
hey sharkhawk it was a different game , preseason at met center, i believe 1987 i was there! awww the good ole days secord sokks! dino sokks! good times.

Reactions: sharkhawk

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
rockford use to be good for one a year

I was present for the April Fools Day brawl. Rob Flick started it all. When things settled down, Rockford Head Coach Ted Dent nearly started it again.
My seat was in the second row near the trapezoid line on the right side in the overhead shot of the goal. I got a few still photos.

I don't have any video, but in the IHL days, maybe 1970 or so, the Dayton Gems had a BRAWL with the Flint Generals. Dayton Dman Lorne Weighill checked the main scorer for Flint, Wayne Zuk, along the neutral zone boards. It was a legal check, but Doug Kerslake came across the ice and hit Weighill in the forehead with his stick, knocking him out. That started a line brawl. After a short time, maybe 45 seconds, Flint Coach Ken Hodge opened the bench door and sent his players out onto the ice, even though they already had a 6 to 5 advantage since the Dayton player was literally down and out. For the next 45 minutes at least one fight was going on, frequently 2 or 3 at a time. Dayton had a lot of players who could fight that season and they were as angry as killer bees. The Dayton trainer was a former Golden Gloves boxer and he went after Ken Hodge. The back up goalie (still on the bench) tried to stop him and was knocked out with one punch. Hodge's sport jacket looked like it had gone through a thresher by the time it was all over.

Kerslake was banned from the IHL for life. He went to some other league down south and got thrown out of that one a few years later. The game was TVed back to Dayton and I was watching at home. That was the wildest fight that I ever saw! It just went on and on and the officials could not stop it. I was in the 5th or 6th grade and the boys at school spent the entire lunch time talking about that brawl.

I was at a Dayton game against Columbus around 1968. I think that game had 400 minutes in penalties. It never went more than 5 minutes without a fight.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
This. Simply the most epic bench clearing brawl in the history of hockey, no if ands or buts about it.

Sorry, you might have the best brawl on tape. That fight lasted about 20 minutes IIRC. The Dayton Gems - Flint Generals brawl went on for 45 minutes. Both fights were similar in intensity and started with a on ice incident that became a line brawl that escalated when a player came off the bench. Nobody shut out the lights in Flint! Even the part about the Canadian trainer punching a Soviet coach is an amazing similarity as well as a goalie staying on the bench if the game resumed.

I wonder if there has been other mayhem on the ice that has been obscured by time or the lack of available video. Old time hockey, Eddie Shore...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad