What Is Your Biggest Gripe With Yeo?(Bonus Hot Seat Tracker)

Which Yeo Thing Do You Dislike Most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Serious question. How long Army will give time for Yeo if team perform in this level? We should be contender level, NHL top 5 team in paper and this is where we're at 3rd last in points in the NHL.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Serious question. How long Army will give time for Yeo if team perform in this level? We should be contender level, NHL top 5 team in paper and this is where we're at 3rd last in points in the NHL.
I think 4 more games if we haven't turned a corner. After that game we are off for several days and 10 games in is a fair point to say that this isnt working.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013

Wouldn’t be surprised if 2 more stinkers this week is enough to do it. They have 2 off days next week, and then a 7 game homestand with no back to backs in that period. Just look at the schedule for the year and ask yourself where a new coach has the time to instill his system this season with reasonable practice dates and no travel. It’s literally the next couple weeks, and that’s all you get until late January.

If you look at how the schedule is laid out after this homestand, it is really unfortunate in that there are lots of back to backs, and we are at a net disadvantage in terms of rest. So, if you give Yeo deep into the homestand, and things don’t get better, you are really screwed. You are now buried deeper into the standings, and the next guy would have to try to balance the need to get his structure and system built ASAP with the need to manage peoples legs in a tight schedule loaded with back to backs and travel.

There is also the not so insignificant matter of coming back to the fans in the Columbus game with a 1-5-2 record. There would be some appeal to having a reset button to sell them before entering that 7 game homestand, vs risking let it go 1-6-2 and hearing how the public handles that.

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
I vote other. He says "obviously" waaaay too much.

I think he plays a big part in a poor psychology in this team. Too much "mistakes happen" "the team needs to be angrier". He can say the words "pissed off" but his demeanor is totally relaxed and calm. Players don't look invested in the outcome of the game. Neither does he. There needs to be some passion in that locker room. In the one game they won, it was hard to perceive a noticeable difference in emotion in the locker room videos from the ones in which they lost. It seems like they're all just going to work right now, and their work is playing hockey, not winning hockey games.

I'd like to see stats on bench minors vs other teams since Yeo took over too. It might just be that I watch the blues a lot more than other teams, but too many men penalties are definitely on Yeo.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
Rutherford seems to think that Yeo's job is safe and he is cemented as coach for the long haul (of this season)
I don't see how this could be possible. Army doesn't seem hard headed enough to not want to pull the trigger on making a change just because Yeo was 'his guy'. My girlfriend's nephew is 8 years old is just starting to play organized hockey and has asked me what kind of game plan the Blues coach is going for. If it's that obvious to an 8 year old kid it must feel like getting hit over the head with a hammer to Army.

Reactions: ezcreepin

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Yeah, I enjoy the national writers for the Athletic, but the local writers on there are hit and miss. I would call JR a sports reporter who covers hockey not a hockey guy, so I question his insights. Saxon is also garbage for the Cardinals.
My feelings, exactly. JR, has learned a fair amount, but he just knows generalities about the game. He doesn't know the game's details from the inside, like people who played the game in organised leagues at relatively high levels. He is a decent sports writer, but, I'd rather read articles and blurbs from a half-illiterate ex-player than polished writing from someone who knows a LOT less about what really made things happen in the games.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Rutherford seems to think that Yeo's job is safe and he is cemented as coach for the long haul (of this season)
I don't see how this could be possible. Army doesn't seem hard headed enough to not want to pull the trigger on making a change just because Yeo was 'his guy'. My girlfriend's nephew is 8 years old is just starting to play organized hockey and has asked me what kind of game plan the Blues coach is going for. If it's that obvious to an 8 year old kid it must feel like getting hit over the head with a hammer to Army.
Clearly, JR hasn't followed and written about hockey long enough to remember scores of good coaches fired just for the sake of making ANY kind of change, to do SOMETHING, to try and salvage a season. In this case, I'd bet along with the 8 year old hockey player, rather than the baseball-bred, non-hockey backgrounded "hockey writer". The Blues have a not-so-long open POTENTIAL window to be a marginal Stanley Cup Contender with Tarasenko, Schwartz, Schenn, O'Reilly, and Pietrangelo. They are NOT going to toss a season away by sticking with a coach who loses the locker room of a relatively good "on paper roster", having them play with no confidence and no heart ALL SEASON LONG. What will that say to the fans who supply the money to keep the franchise going? What will that say to the high quality players that are coming up towards free agency? What will that say to good players on other teams that might otherwise have considered playing for The Blues in the near future? Sometimes paying TWO coaches at once, for big chunks of the same season, is preferable to allowing one's franchise to fall into the dumpster for 4-5 years (possible new rebuilding necessary), when that could have been avoided. In my 65+ years of watching pro and high-level junior hockey, I've seen many good coaches thrown under the bus, just to get a team refocused, and playing a different way with energy again, rather than allowing a good roster to end up at the bottom of the standings. Doug Armstrong will look a LOT worse, if this roster finishes out of the playoffs, while saving the money that would have been paid to the 2nd coach, than he will by making the playoffs with a decent seeding, and looking, at least respectable, in the playoffs, and forcing his owners to pay the two head coach salaries. No way The Blues allow The Blues to continue to play the way they've been playing since Game 1, and lose, very far into this season, JUST to keep from paying 2 head coach salaries.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
Clearly, JR hasn't followed and written about hockey long enough to remember scores of good coaches fired just for the sake of making ANY kind of change, to do SOMETHING, to try and salvage a season. In this case, I'd bet along with the 8 year old hockey player, rather than the baseball-bred, non-hockey backgrounded "hockey writer". The Blues have a not-so-long open POTENTIAL window to be a marginal Stanley Cup Contender with Tarasenko, Schwartz, Schenn, O'Reilly, and Pietrangelo. They are NOT going to toss a season away by sticking with a coach who loses the locker room of a relatively good "on paper roster", having them play with no confidence and no heart ALL SEASON LONG. What will that say to the fans who supply the money to keep the franchise going? What will that say to the high quality players that are coming up towards free agency? What will that say to good players on other teams that might otherwise have considered playing for The Blues in the near future? Sometimes paying TWO coaches at once, for big chunks of the same season, is preferable to allowing one's franchise to fall into the dumpster for 4-5 years (possible new rebuilding necessary), when that could have been avoided. In my 65+ years of watching pro and high-level junior hockey, I've seen many good coaches thrown under the bus, just to get a team refocused, and playing a different way with energy again, rather than allowing a good roster to end up at the bottom of the standings. Doug Armstrong will look a LOT worse, if this roster finishes out of the playoffs, while saving the money that would have been paid to the 2nd coach, than he will by making the playoffs with a decent seeding, and looking, at least respectable, in the playoffs, and forcing his owners to pay the two head coach salaries. No way The Blues allow The Blues to continue to play the way they've been playing since Game 1, and lose, very far into this season, JUST to keep from paying 2 head coach salaries.
I couldn't agree more. Particularly with the sentiment of sending a negative/confusing message to potential future FA targets as well as the current roster as a whole. I noticed in ROR's post game interview after the loss to Anaheim that Armstrong was hovering in the hallway near the Blues locker room. IMO that reads as a GM already taking the temperature of the locker room in case a move has to be made.
Whispers of bringing in Tippet have been tossed around the forum. And while I wouldn't mind that as an option, he seems to be locked in to an advisory position in Seattle. I would hate to see a Shannahan/Stevens scenario where it is viewed as tampering and we are forced to cough up their choice of a first round pick over the next 5 years.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I couldn't agree more. Particularly with the sentiment of sending a negative/confusing message to potential future FA targets as well as the current roster as a whole. I noticed in ROR's post game interview after the loss to Anaheim that Armstrong was hovering in the hallway near the Blues locker room. IMO that reads as a GM already taking the temperature of the locker room in case a move has to be made.
Whispers of bringing in Tippet have been tossed around the forum. And while I wouldn't mind that as an option, he seems to be locked in to an advisory position in Seattle. I would hate to see a Shannahan/Stevens scenario where it is viewed as tampering and we are forced to cough up their choice of a first round pick over the next 5 years.
I wouldnt worry about tampering. Tippett is not under contract as a head coach for a team that really doesn't exist yet.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I wouldn't worry about tampering. Tippett is not under contract as a head coach for a team that really doesn't exist yet.
I wouldn't be surprised if Tippett's contract as a "consultant" with Seattle has an "out clause", for that contract to end abruptly, if he gets an offer for a head coaching job from an NHL team, and he accepts it. And SteveR85 is right that talking to a prospective head coach for an NHL HC job, who is NOT a current NHL head coach, but merely a consultant, who might well have an undefined service period, will NOT result in a "tampering" charge and resultant penalty.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
First time I was totally confident with Blues and I had to play season bets on Blues over 100e vs. Dallas and Wild and Blues record one of the worst season start of their franchise.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
First time I was totally confident with Blues and I had to play season bets on Blues over 100e vs. Dallas and Wild and Blues record one of the worst season start of their franchise.
At least we know who to blame. :thumbu:

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I’d have to think this upcoming homestand will go a long way in shaping the season and Yeo’s future as Blues HC. They need to win at least 5 of the next 7. especially with the heavy dose of Western teams that will be coming through, including 3 divisional games (CHI, MIN x2). As Yogi Berra would say “it’s getting late early” for the Blues.

Reactions: 67Blues

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I’d have to think this upcoming homestand will go a long way in shaping the season and Yeo’s future as Blues HC. They need to win at least 5 of the next 7. especially with the heavy dose of Western teams that will be coming through, including 3 divisional games (CHI, MIN x2). As Yogi Berra would say “it’s getting late early” for the Blues.
For the sake of the franchise, I hope we lose until he's gone.

This team is so talented, even clawing into the wild card spot shouldn't be acceptable results for Yeo. The Blues should be top 5-10 league in the NHL.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
For the sake of the franchise, I hope we lose until he's gone.

This team is so talented, even clawing into the wild card spot shouldn't be acceptable results for Yeo. The Blues should be top 5-10 league in the NHL.
I agree. I think (hope) if the Blues drop these first two at home, Yeo is gone. Leaving October with 2 wins with this team should be the final straw. That’s why I think this homestand presents a unique opportunity for the Blues given how the season has started. If they’re going to straighten this thing out with Yeo it needs to start Thursday.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
On some level, I think Yeo is out if the Hawks game on Saturday goes poorly. If we get embarrassed at home to the Hawks, it has to be over.

We've won 2 and lost 7.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
At this point I don't think anything is salvageable. So why the wait?

Maybe DA is buying time while he works the phones for a replacement and Yeo is already "gone".

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
At this point I don't think anything is salvageable. So why the wait?

Maybe DA is buying time while he works the phones for a replacement and Yeo is already "gone".
I think there’s a semi-realistic chance this is what’s happening. I don’t even know that they need to get blown out against Chicago. A loss in any fashion should be the death blow.

Reactions: BlueDream

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think there’s a semi-realistic chance this is what’s happening. I don’t even know that they need to get blown out against Chicago. A loss in any fashion should be the death blow.
Agreed. Does not matter if it’s a close game. Going 2-8 in the first 10, including 3 of those being losses against your biggest rival will be the dagger. We need wins, it’s not enough anymore to just “show improvement.”

I’d be willing to bet a lot that Armstrong is spending all day today reaching out to available coaches.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Kevin Wheeler just brought up on his show that so many of the criticisms we're hearing and many of us are complaining about are the same ones that happened just before he got fired from Minnesota. I think it's coming. There's just too many factors that are leaning toward Yeo getting fired. I just don't think he survives much past the Chicago game, win or lose.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Kevin Wheeler just brought up on his show that so many of the criticisms we're hearing and many of us are complaining about are the same ones that happened just before he got fired from Minnesota. I think it's coming. There's just too many factors that are leaning toward Yeo getting fired. I just don't think he survives much past the Chicago game, win or lose.
Yeah that’s the other thing. I think he has to win at least the next 2. A win vs Chicago is fine but then if we lose to Vegas I think he’d still be gone.

steinerecliner

May 15, 2018
Agreed. Does not matter if it’s a close game. Going 2-8 in the first 10, including 3 of those being losses against your biggest rival will be the dagger. We need wins, it’s not enough anymore to just “show improvement.”

I’d be willing to bet a lot that Armstrong is spending all day today reaching out to available coaches.

I think that is happening because JR also tweeted that DA was gone from the box when they went up 4 on the Blues, and didn't see him return. DA must been POed at this situation and he should be. He gave on paper a team that should been a top 5 and going into the season all the talk was just that, how he did everything so well this off season. The fans was so pumped for this being the year and how great of an off season it was. The buzz was amazing and for them to go in and basically crap the bed is unacceptable. The bad part is the "Too many new players" isn't the problem. The New players have mostly been great. It the defense that was supposedly so good last year and the personal didn't change but yet they playing so bad.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Yeah that’s the other thing. I think he has to win at least the next 2. A win vs Chicago is fine but then if we lose to Vegas I think he’d still be gone.
I really don’t think it’s wins and losses as much as looking competitive as a team and evidence he can effectively communicate with the players. The start of the year demonstrated that he could not communicate his scheme effectively. And to date he has not inspired the mentality to overcome this funk. I feel bad for Yeo. I think s lot of this is also on player leadership, but those guys aren’t leaving.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I really don’t think it’s wins and losses as much as looking competitive as a team and evidence he can effectively communicate with the players. The start of the year demonstrated that he could not communicate his scheme effectively. And to date he has not inspired the mentality to overcome this funk. I feel bad for Yeo. I think s lot of this is also on player leadership, but those guys aren’t leaving.
I don’t feel bad for him. It’s his decision to send Bouwmeester out there for 20 minutes a night. It’s his decision to start Sundqvist over Thomas. It was at least ok’d by him to try that horrific man to man scheme. I also attribute a good amount of their 3rd period woes to a way he wants to play with a lead. Obviously the players bare responsibility for this as well, but the sooner he’s gone, the better.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don’t agree at all. It is 100% about wins and losses. If you look “competitive” but lose the majority of your games, you aren’t making the playoffs.

We are about to be 1/8 through the season. There’s no more brownie points and pat on the backs to be given out. They need real, actual results. That’s it. Coming up just short isn’t going to fly with Armstrong after the moves he made. And not making money in the postseason once again isn’t Tom Stillman’s goal either. They need wins fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->