What Is Your Biggest Gripe With Yeo?(Bonus Hot Seat Tracker)

Which Yeo Thing Do You Dislike Most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think if he is going to ever become an impact player he needs to play and not sit as much s he has.. if you want him to learn the speed of the game then he needs to play plain and simple.
Counterpoint: he needs to play better to earn more ice time. He got almost 11 minutes last game. Its not huge minutes, but its been increasing, and should be tied to his performance. He hasn't had to 'sit' yet, but I won't be surprised if he does get a scratch or two in the near future. If it happens, its not a big deal.

Reactions: Bendak

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Counterpoint: he needs to play better to earn more ice time. He got almost 11 minutes last game. Its not huge minutes, but its been increasing, and should be tied to his performance. He hasn't had to 'sit' yet, but I won't be surprised if he does get a scratch or two in the near future. If it happens, its not a big deal.
I think there is something to be said (and hopefully to be learned) by watching a game from the press box. First, it gives some perspective on the idea that nothing is going to have to be given to you, it has to be earned. But it also gives literally a different perspective on the structure and speed of the game. He may be able to see a thing or two more clearly from above than he is able to see and process at ice level.

At the same time, though, I think such patience should also be rewarded with the occasional opportunity to play up in the lineup, with more skilled players, and give the coaching staff a better perspective on what he brings as a player, giving them a better idea on how to utilize him that they would have with him parked in the 4C role. I think this is especially important with PP time. I get not giving that to him from the get-go, but I think once he returns to the lineup it would be a good idea to work him into the PP rotation in practice and, eventually, in a game. Steen can stay off the PP for a week or two to get the kid some time.

Reactions: Bendak and simon IC

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
Maybe a different poll: What has Yeo done to prove that he is a top coach in the NHL that can develop a Cup contending team? He should be on a very short leash.

His post-game press conferences and interviews demonstrate that he lacks a vision of where this team can go. He often expresses frustration that the team is not performing as if from the perspective of a fan in the stands. "We need to do better" is not a valid answer, try again.

He has not led a team to the Stanley Cup so he should get a short leash. Not to mention the fact that the power play that was terrible for an entire year, and the only adjustment was adding the stupid drop pass neutral zone strategy.

Reactions: Bendak

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think there is something to be said (and hopefully to be learned) by watching a game from the press box. First, it gives some perspective on the idea that nothing is going to have to be given to you, it has to be earned. But it also gives literally a different perspective on the structure and speed of the game. He may be able to see a thing or two more clearly from above than he is able to see and process at ice level.

At the same time, though, I think such patience should also be rewarded with the occasional opportunity to play up in the lineup, with more skilled players, and give the coaching staff a better perspective on what he brings as a player, giving them a better idea on how to utilize him that they would have with him parked in the 4C role. I think this is especially important with PP time. I get not giving that to him from the get-go, but I think once he returns to the lineup it would be a good idea to work him into the PP rotation in practice and, eventually, in a game. Steen can stay off the PP for a week or two to get the kid some time.
I was going to say almost the same thing. I'd like to see Thomas start go get some opportunities on the PP, even if his overall minutes are still limited, as we go forward.

I have to admit, I am not identifying with much of the opinion on this board lately. I think the team looks disappointing, yes. But I don't see the handling of the rookies as problematic at all. I think its sensible.

And now Maroon has been 'demoted' apparently, after a reasonable duration trial on the top line. Also sensible.

I just don't know what to think about the defensive game plan. Is the zone defense something that is going to improve with practice and familiarity? Or is it a horrible choice that will lead this team into the gutter?

Reactions: Bendak and stl76

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I was going to say almost the same thing. I'd like to see Thomas start go get some opportunities on the PP, even if his overall minutes are still limited, as we go forward.

I have to admit, I am not identifying with much of the opinion on this board lately. I think the team looks disappointing, yes. But I don't see the handling of the rookies as problematic at all. I think its sensible.

And now Maroon has been 'demoted' apparently, after a reasonable duration trial on the top line. Also sensible.

I just don't know what to think about the defensive game plan. Is the zone defense something that is going to improve with practice and familiarity? Or is it a horrible choice that will lead this team into the gutter?
Well you need to pick one and be prepared to die on that hill! This is no time for nuanced opinions!
:sarcasm:
;)

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Here's something that I haven't seen brought up anywhere, but his mismanagement of players in general. If Bortuzzo has had a nagging injury since training camp that has now caused him to be out, why was Dunn being scratched over a non 100% Bortuzzo. That's even worse than just sitting Dunn because he had a bad game.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Hot Seat Tracker:
Fire this jerk*

What’s the use of waiting? If Yeo could get this thing together he would have. Every game is the same story over and over again. With the same mistakes and breakdowns over and over. Get a fresh voice in there before you completely waste a season. They’re well on their way to a 1 win month.

Reactions: mk80 and Bendak

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Dpja4LnUUAUnE_6.jpg

17-18-5 now, FIRE YEO

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I'm far from a Yeo apologist, but it's hard to fault Yeo for this one.

The Blues didn't play their best game ever, but they out-chanced Montreal and controlled the game for long stretches. They fought back after a rough start on the road, tied it up, and should have had the momentum behind them going into OT.

None of the goals against had much of anything to do with the system the Blues were running, or even the quality of how they were executing it. Allen had a rough goal after some Blues were caught flat-footed. Schenn was caught out of position after making a high-risk play on the PK. Parayko gifted them a goal on a flubbed pass.

I think Yeo deserves his share of criticism for the start, but he shouldn't be the talking point tonight, IMO...unless you want to complain about Maroon being on the top PP unit. It will always be open season for that one.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
JR saying Yeo isn’t on the hot seat because Army doesn’t want to show he picked the wrong guy is bizarre.

Here are some questions I have:
Is it better to stick with your guy (hoping he finally figures this out, to which there is no evidence supporting that he can or will) and possibly have a losing season?

Or

Is it better to acknowledge he wasn’t the right man for the job and try to find a better coach in hopes that he saves this season and future ones as well?

Standing on a sinking ship and saying “I own this mistake and refuse to fix it” doesn’t seem like a great logic for job preservation.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
JR saying Yeo isn’t on the hot seat because Army doesn’t want to show he picked the wrong guy is bizarre.

Is it better to stick with your guy (hoping he finally figures this out, to which there is no evidence supporting that he can or will) and possibly have a losing season?

Or

Is it better to acknowledge he wasn’t the right man for the job and try to find a better coach in hopes that he saves this season and future ones as well?

Standing on a sinking ship and saying “I own this mistake and refuse to fix it” doesn’t seem like a great logic for job preservation.
Personally I don’t think JR has any clue about this. Army fired Hitch with whom he has a close relationship and had a good amount of success with. He traded Stastny rather than trying to hold on in hopes of making the playoffs. Armstrong knows if they don’t get to the playoffs it’s his failure to. Like you said, that’s not great for him keeping his job. This team should make the playoffs. If he thinks firing Yeo will get this thing back on track, I think he’ll do it.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Or

Agreed. Although there is s financial consequence to firing Yeo and hiring a new guy. That is a lot more likely to bring pressure on Armstrong than ‘looking bad’,

Reactions: stl76

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
In the last 2 years, Army has fired Hitch and traded the contracts of Lehtera, Bergluns and Sobotka when it became clear that they were cap drains. He either supported or allowed the coaching staff to ride Hutton over Allen last year and leave Allen at home for a road trip the year before. He went on record about the fact that the organization told Allen that he had to change some aspect about his offseason routine because his play last year wasn't good enough. He's traded away Shatty and Stastny at the deadline in back to back years when it became evident to him that the roster he built wasn't a contender. Those were all "his guys."

I legitimately don't know where this idea came from that Army won't move on from a mistake due to his pride or ego. It certainly isn't based on his past behavior.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
i hope they're conducting an exhaustive coaching search as we speak, trying to identify the right guy from wherever he's currently located; whether that be an NHL bench as an assistant, an out-of-work NHL veteran coach, somebody from junior, college, the SEL/AHL/KHL, etc. Gotta find the right guy.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
My main peeve with Yeo is the fact that many of the players play like they don't know what they are supposed to do in many different situations, and they are playing like they are scared to make a mistake. This leads to my not being happy with their team defence, with the forwards leaving the defensive zone too early, and not supporting defencemen when they have the puck. Thus, Parayko, behind the net, feeling like his only help was a forward a few strides in front of the net, and attempting a ridiculously dangerous pass to him. I also have problems with his choices of players an their positions on both power play and both penalty killing units. I also have problems with Yeo's playing marginal NHL veterans over giving young talent NHL experience, leading to later development of rookies, as well as less scoring capability, along with tiring out the team earlier than if fresh legs were used more. So, you could say my voting for "other" represents ALL 3 of Choices 1,2, and 3, plus problems with Yeo's offensive scheme, as well, AND, the fact that the players won't play with any grit, fight, or emotion for him. I've never seen a team be "lost" by a coach BEFORE GAME # 1!!! He's got to go as soon as possible!

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Armstrong is like any GM when it comes down to the fact, he'll make the decision he thinks is best to win. The easiest way to change a floundering team is a coaching change whether or not they deserve the full criticism or not.

Heck look at the Panthers who fired Gerard Gallant after having a great season with them the year prior, the team started 11-10-1 the next season and stranded him in Carolina after a loss.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Agreed. Although there is s financial consequence to firing Yeo and hiring a new guy. That is a lot more likely to bring pressure on Armstrong than ‘looking bad’,

A little bit, but it has been reported Yeo is one of the lower paid coaches in the league, on the books this is probably equivalent of waiving a player on a one way deal. The Blues have a full roster and some salary coming off of the books (Gunnarson and lower salary v AAV) next year when his deal is up. Its not nothing, but the amount is dwarfed by player salaries and I think the owners understand the cost of doing business. If you were Tom Stillman, would you be more pissed about 5.4m Bouw sitting in the pressbox or the 1-1.5m coach you canned?

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
A little bit, but it has been reported Yeo is one of the lower paid coaches in the league, on the books this is probably equivalent of waiving a player on a one way deal. The Blues have a full roster and some salary coming off of the books (Gunnarson and lower salary v AAV) next year when his deal is up. Its not nothing, but the amount is dwarfed by player salaries and I think the owners understand the cost of doing business. If you were Tom Stillman, would you be more pissed about 5.4m Bouw sitting in the pressbox or the 1-1.5m coach you canned?
You also have to factor in the cost of the replacement coach. Plus the fact that the cash going to Yeo is then a sunk cost...you're basically paying the guy NOT to coach plus paying another guy to do the job. In the larger view of the team's payroll the coach's salary isn't HUGE, but it's not nothing.FWIW coaching salaries have been going up around the league too.

I was really hoping Bannister would be next in line to coach after getting a full year in the org and leading San Antonio to a successful season. At this point tho, I'm not sure he willbe ready in time for Yeo's departure.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

Mafisen

Oct 14, 2018
Lots of things. Does he play players on merit? I don't think he does, because if he did, Bouwmeester would have seen a lot of the press box by now. It's sad to see someone deteriorate so badly. He's a huge liability.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
My main peeve with Yeo is the fact that many of the players play like they don't know what they are supposed to do in many different situations, and they are playing like they are scared to make a mistake. This leads to my not being happy with their team defence, with the forwards lesive zone too early, and not supporting defencemen when they have the puck. Thus, Parayko, behind the net, feeling like his only help was a forward a few strides in front of the net, and attempting a ridiculously dangerous pass to him. I also have problems wit his choices of players an their positions on both power play and both penalty killing units. I also have problems with Yeo's playing marginal NHL veterans over giving young talent NHL experience, leading to later development of rookies, as well as less scoring capability, along with tiring out the team earlier than if fresh legs were used more. So, you could say my voting for "other" represents ALL 3 of Choices 1,2, and 3, plus problems with Yeo's offensive scheme, as well, AND, the fact that the players won't play with any grit, fight, or emotion for him. I've never seen a team be "lost" by a coach BEFORE GAME # 1!!! He's got to go as soon as possible!

When someone ever-positive as RobbK wants a coach gone this much, you know there are serious problems. I've wanted Yeo gone since the Nashville series when the team clearly failed to make adjustments to the strategies we were employing. They just kept trying the same thing over and over again.

It's as if Yeo and his staff don't look at specifics and strategies and just tell their players they need to work hard and not make mistakes. Which is worthless coaching.

Even if the team turns it around, which they most likely will, I think for this team to go to the next level they need a better, smarter coach.

CoMoBlues

Aug 16, 2010
Columbus, OH
Personally I don’t think JR has any clue about this. Army fired Hitch with whom he has a close relationship and had a good amount of success with. He traded Stastny rather than trying to hold on in hopes of making the playoffs. Armstrong knows if they don’t get to the playoffs it’s his failure to. Like you said, that’s not great for him keeping his job. This team should make the playoffs. If he thinks firing Yeo will get this thing back on track, I think he’ll do it.

I agree with both The Note and Celtic Note on this. JR is given all the access to the front office and the players, the best information available, yet continually comes up with the wrong conclusions. This has been happening for years too. To me, that type of journalism isn’t worth paying for, especially through an outlet like the Athletic. I’d rather have a bad writer who really understands the issues going on with the team, than a decent writer that seemingly guesses.

Sorry, I’ll get off my soapbox now.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I agree with both The Note and Celtic Note on this. JR is given all the access to the front office and the players, the best information available, yet continually comes up with the wrong conclusions. This has been happening for years too. To me, that type of journalism isn’t worth paying for, especially through an outlet like the Athletic. I’d rather have a bad writer who really understands the issues going on with the team, than a decent writer that seemingly guesses.

Sorry, I’ll get off my soapbox now.
Yeah, I enjoy the national writers for the Athletic, but the local writers on there are hit and miss. I would call JR a sports reporter who covers hockey not a hockey guy, so I question his insights. Saxon is also garbage for the Cardinals.

Reactions: stl76 and CoMoBlues

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
You also have to factor in the cost of the replacement coach. Plus the fact that the cash going to Yeo is then a sunk cost...you're basically paying the guy NOT to coach plus paying another guy to do the job. In the larger view of the team's payroll the coach's salary isn't HUGE, but it's not nothing.FWIW coaching salaries have been going up around the league too.

I was really hoping Bannister would be next in line to coach after getting a full year in the org and leading San Antonio to a successful season. At this point tho, I'm not sure he willbe ready in time for Yeo's departure.
It's either have Yeo coach the team the rest of the year and risk losing ticket money because the on-ice product sucks OR fire Yeo, hire a coach, and hopefully improve and remain competitive with this conference. The decision has to be made quick though, because the West is pretty strong, and the amount of leeway you have in the central is pretty slim.

Reactions: Chief Steele

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->