What Is Your Biggest Gripe With Yeo?(Bonus Hot Seat Tracker)

Which Yeo Thing Do You Dislike Most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I was never the biggest Hitch fan but at least you knew his coaching style was a defense first team and the defense would be solid, at minimum "bend but don't break". At this point Yeo's defensive scheme shouldn't be that much of an issue, guys that were here last season should know it, you've had a whole training camp + to get it nailed down for the newer guys. Something should have shown signs of improvement by now, but it hasn't.

I never was fully on board with hiring him as I thought there were much better options available at the time. With a guy like AV available right now who I think coaches a balanced system of offense and defense and has connections to the Blues originally being drafted and playing for them, I think he would be a great fit for us.

Reactions: Bendak

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
He is a poor strategist. His strategies for the team don't fit the personnel, and he is slow to make adjustments. I still think the Nashville series was lost due to poor strategy and not much else. A great coach not only inspires the team, they out strategize the opposing coach and know how to use their chess pieces to beat the other coaches chess pieces. I see that as Yeo's greatest weakness. He continually repeats the same mistakes.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
At this point I am just waiting for him to get fired so the real season can start. If we don't go at least 3-3 in the next games...

I feel like with another coach this team would explode. Like having a rev limiter on a sport bike. Then removing. It would be stuck at 60mph, then jet up to 150mph just be removing the device.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Hot Seat Tracker:
Cold
Lukewarm
Hot*
Sizzling
Fire This Jerk

1-2-2 through 5. 4 of which were at home. Same problems persist, but how long will it take for the front office to act before the season is torpedo’d.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
The team gets worse every season under Yeo, even after injecting new talent.

My problem with Yeo is the team’s mental toughness. There is something in his style that makes the team “check out” and play stupid hockey.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Yeo is going to have to demonstrate that he has some answers soon. Army turned over the roster as much as possible. The next change isn’t going to be more player turnover. It’s not complicated. The seat is toasty warm.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
If we don't turn things around on this road trip I think Yeo is out. However I hope DA at all options rather than just handing the job to Berube without looking at outside options.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The weird thing is while the Wild had some similar issues regarding youth and the powerplay, they were always still a good defensive team under Yeo. I don't really know what's going on there.

Reactions: mk80 and Bendak

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
The weird thing is while the Wild had some similar issues regarding youth and the powerplay, they were always still a good defensive team under Yeo. I don't really know what's going on there.

Yeo was in Minnesota for 5 years. It feels like he's going through the same arc here but in a condensed time frame.

When he was hired I optimistically focused on his youth and hoped he would be adaptivr and evolve the style he used with the Wild. At this point I don't think he's interested in changing with the game

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
its the same garbage we saw last year from him. he doesnt deserve 5-7 more games. the only thing improved from last season is the PP, everything else is the same or worse

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I re-watched the Chicago and Anaheim games and noticed something about our system. It is 3-2 zone to man on man. It seems like the center always stays in middle while the wingers challenge the points and along the boards in a man to man. If the opposing player moves the puck below the dots the winger disengages and joins the zone coverage while the corresponding defenseman breaks from the zone coverage and picks up the man and vice versa when the puck is moved out high again. As you can tell this is causing a lot of confusion and leaving large gaps in the middle of the ice. This is why a team like Chicago who rotates players into different positions in the offensive zone seems like they are being given free ice. I hate these kinds of defensive systems as I feel they are over complicated and rarely work at professional levels.

If Yeo wants to save his job he needs to revert back to a simple zone coverage like a "collapsing protect" where we flood the middle of the ice with bodies and let opposing teams have the shots from the outside and hope Allen is up to the task. Personally I am not a huge fan of this system either but it is very simple to play and has proved effective, though limited, over the years.

Posted this in the "what is the defensive scheme thread" but felt it was relevant here as well.

EL Bandito

Mar 29, 2006
Edwardsville, IL
Where to start?

His handling of youth is pretty crazy. I'm not a proponent for giving the kids minutes they don't deserve, such as Tage Thompson last year, but he has a history of keeping the younger guys so much more accountable than the vets. Case in point this year....Jbo and Dunn. Dunn sits 2 games and then gets 10 minutes last game when anyone and everyone can see that Jbo is just awful at this point. He's at best a 5/6 at this point and I'd argue that Schmaltz looks much better looking so far and he's also sitting over Jbo. Jbo even gets more minutes right now that Edmundson. This is just nuts and reminds me exactly of Yeo's time with the Wild.

I'd argue Kyrou should be getting much more time than he is as well. He already looks to be a difference maker and only a matter of time that he starts converting. I think it's time to see what he looks like on the ROR/91 line. He could be the Blues version of Panarin for Vladi. Thomas should be getting more than 7-8 minutes too, otherwise just send him back to Hamilton and let him murder the OHL this year with Kaliyev.

Then we come to how consistently inconsistent the Blues are in game. They can go from looking like an AHL squad to dominating the pace and then back to an AHL squad in the same game. That tells me the players are getting mixed messages in game plan and they look like they are already starting to tune him out just 5 games in. He should have never been the hire in the first place and there was no need to do the whole stupid coach in waiting thing either. Gerard Gallant was who I wanted and there were a few others as well that I would have taken over Yeo. It's not like he's some hockey genius. He doesn't even look like he knows what he wants to do half the time.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
Well it looks as if he may sit Thomas... has Sanford Centering the 4th line, sharing time it seems

Kyrou-O'Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Steen-Bozak-Maroon
Barbashev-Thomas/Sanford-Blais
extras: Fabbri, Soshnikov, Sundqvist

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Eh, it's not realistic to expect a rookie to play 82 games so I don't really mind that. I'd like to see what Sanford looks like too. We haven't really gotten to see him at all in the NHL for the past year and a half.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Where to start?

His handling of youth is pretty crazy. I'm not a proponent for giving the kids minutes they don't deserve, such as Tage Thompson last year, but he has a history of keeping the younger guys so much more accountable than the vets. Case in point this year....Jbo and Dunn. Dunn sits 2 games and then gets 10 minutes last game when anyone and everyone can see that Jbo is just awful at this point. He's at best a 5/6 at this point and I'd argue that Schmaltz looks much better looking so far and he's also sitting over Jbo. Jbo even gets more minutes right now that Edmundson. This is just nuts and reminds me exactly of Yeo's time with the Wild.

I'd argue Kyrou should be getting much more time than he is as well. He already looks to be a difference maker and only a matter of time that he starts converting. I think it's time to see what he looks like on the ROR/91 line. He could be the Blues version of Panarin for Vladi. Thomas should be getting more than 7-8 minutes too, otherwise just send him back to Hamilton and let him murder the OHL this year with Kaliyev.

Then we come to how consistently inconsistent the Blues are in game. They can go from looking like an AHL squad to dominating the pace and then back to an AHL squad in the same game. That tells me the players are getting mixed messages in game plan and they look like they are already starting to tune him out just 5 games in. He should have never been the hire in the first place and there was no need to do the whole stupid coach in waiting thing either. Gerard Gallant was who I wanted and there were a few others as well that I would have taken over Yeo. It's not like he's some hockey genius. He doesn't even look like he knows what he wants to do half the time.
Ask and you shall receive!!!!!

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
Eh, it's not realistic to expect a rookie to play 82 games so I don't really mind that. I'd like to see what Sanford looks like too. We haven't really gotten to see him at all in the NHL for the past year and a half.

True. I guess my issue is they have 4 games left to decide what they are really going to do with Thomas. As I have stated before Army has said he has nothing left to prove in Jr's. So if they sit him them send him back did they really give him a shot? I just want to see him with better players so we have an idea what he really can do.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
True. I guess my issue is they have 4 games left to decide what they are really going to do with Thomas. As I have stated before Army has said he has nothing left to prove in Jr's. So if they sit him them send him back did they really give him a shot? I just want to see him with better players so we have an idea what he really can do.
There is nothing to decide. He's staying up this year. The way the team is using him points to them having a long patient plan for him this season. They can play him smaller minutes and increase as his game comes along. The 9 game cut-off for juniors is not truly a big decision-point for him.

Its no big deal if he gets scratched occasionally. 82 games is a long season, and he's taking a huge step up from juniors. His minutes have been increasing little by little, but his play has continued to be very uneven. He just needs to continue going through this process of transitioning to the NHL game. This board is a little obsessed with his usage, but I think playing him on the 4th line with reasonably skilled wingers (like Barbashev, Blais, etc) is a good way for him to learn. Folks act like he can be an impact player for the Blues RIGHT NOW. Well, he's not. And he has a ways to go before he gets to that. Once you accept that reality, his usage seems pretty reasonable provided his minutes modulate up as his play evens out.

Kyrou's minutes are already going up. 15 minutes last game, and now getting minutes on the top line. That's a good spot for him. Excited to see how that line looks next game.

Reactions: Brian39 and Bendak

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I’m glad to see Kyrou get a shot with ROR and Tarasenko. Hopefully the Maroon experiment is over.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
There is nothing to decide. He's staying up this year. The way the team is using him points to them having a long patient plan for him this season. They can play him smaller minutes and increase as his game comes along. The 9 game cut-off for juniors is not truly a big decision-point for him.

Its no big deal if he gets scratched occasionally. 82 games is a long season, and he's taking a huge step up from juniors. His minutes have been increasing little by little, but his play has continued to be very uneven. He just needs to continue going through this process of transitioning to the NHL game. This board is a little obsessed with his usage, but I think playing him on the 4th line with reasonably skilled wingers (like Barbashev, Blais, etc) is a good way for him to learn. Folks act like he can be an impact player for the Blues RIGHT NOW. Well, he's not. And he has a ways to go before he gets to that. Once you accept that reality, his usage seems pretty reasonable provided his minutes modulate up as his play evens out.

Kyrou's minutes are already going up. 15 minutes last game, and now getting minutes on the top line. That's a good spot for him. Excited to see how that line looks next game.

I think if he is going to ever become an impact player he needs to play and not sit as much s he has.. if you want him to learn the speed of the game then he needs to play plain and simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->