Player Discussion What is wrong with Tkachuk as of late?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Tkachuk has been total bunk since Christmas. Very obviously not playing up to his potential at the moment. Thought he was a lot better for stretches last year, but he also faded later on(concussion). Hopefully we're not seeing lingering effects of another one because that would definitely be worrisome heading into the spring. His stat line looks great but he's scored 21pts playing on that 1st unit and 27 even strength.

Been making frustrating reads in all three zones, passing up great shooting opportunities, and if he's thrown a hard meaningful bodycheck this year I'd be in trouble tying to recall it. He's also 21, so it could very easily be a lack of confidence and gone cold. Happens. I'm really not hating on the kid, love him as a player and hope Treliving gets him signed for 8 years this offsummer at a reasonable price. Just have higher expectations because I've seen what he can be. Same with Monahan tbh.

I agree with this that his play has dropped since Christmas. People also have short memories here, because he was dynamite to start the year. No one takes a bigger beating than him on our team, well maybe Hammer. But we’re talkimg about a kid who won a Memorial Cup and scored the game winner with a broken ankle. He took off a couple of weeks and started training with the Flames with almost no down time. Tkachuk is one tough SOB and I’m pretty certain he’s battling an injury.

People called out Monahan for the exact same things last year and we found out that he had 3 injuries. To me it looks obvious that he’s injured because he’s playing way more of a perimeter game and he looks like he’s playing really safe.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Allan Walsh needs to start trash talking the Flames on twitter again so Frolik gets hot as does Tkachuk.
I think Matthew, Johnny are just a bit rusty from that long of a break. I hope they snap out tonight vs Vancouver. We need a dominant win. Last 3 games haven't seen much hustle or determination.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Actually, I have a theory as to why Tkachuk is slumping. Teams developing a play book against us are shutting down our LW.

Why?
- Opposing teams only need to develop one system to fight our top 6 as an initial step. It's a solution that fits both top lines.
- Even if it's not able to truly shut down those lines by focusing on the LW, it can at least reduce those lines effectiveness.
- Gaudreau and Tkachuk are easily the key cogs on their lines and both LW

Gaudreau has the support on the top line to distribute to Lindholm and Monahan while still keeping the top line lethal. Tkachuk is a little less able to truly distribute everything to Backlund and Frolik. Gaudreau is still nabbing points, but I think the opposition strategy is working.

I think the 3M line will come back with a vengeance once they figure out how to neutralize the counter. I don't think the boys aren't hustling and playing without determination. I think teams are disrupting our lines by a half a step to a step. But this is just a theory. I'm just thinking that if I were an opposing team, the method I'd use to try and shut our team down would be to declaw the LW. It's kinda the closest to an Achilles heel of our top 6 IMO.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Chucky is slumping because the PP's first unit has been cold. Chucky has 57 points while playing with a 30 point center. The 3M line has never produced at much more than a half point/player a game. WHen the first unit of the PP gets going again like it will Chucky's numbers will climb rapidly again.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Chucky is slumping because the PP's first unit has been cold. Chucky has 57 points while playing with a 30 point center. The 3M line has never produced at much more than a half point/player a game. WHen the first unit of the PP gets going again like it will Chucky's numbers will climb rapidly again.
After a slow start, Backlund's currently doing a fantastic job of driving offense on that line. Right now the wingers aren't carrying their weight.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
After a slow start, Backlund's currently doing a fantastic job of driving offense on that line. Right now the wingers aren't carrying their weight.

Frolik has been a total ghost. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the third line with Neal being brought up.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Frolik has been a total ghost. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the third line with Neal being brought up.

I will argue that Back's has been greedy lately. Truly watch when that line play-- Fro is always the first one on the defensemen. He is always pressuring and then in the defensive zone he is always the first forward back. Chucky sometimes forgets his responsibilities in the defensive zone but he is young and will learn.

As for the idea of moving Neal up after he has finally found a little chemistry??? What are you nuts? The third line has been Calgary's best line by far since the break. Don't fudge with it. If anything give them more time and responsibility.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

On the season Backlund's 5v5 primary point rate of 1.71 is 3rd on the team and ahead of Tkachuk. In fact it's the 43rd ranked mark in the entire NHL.

Saying Backlund drags Tkachuk down is disgenuous. Backs' lack of overall scoring is due to the power play.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Him and Monahan have both looked like they are skating through molasses recently. Monahan has been covered up a bit more by johnny and lindholm, but Tkachuk doesn't really have that luxury as he mostly drives the offense on that second line. Backlund seems to play well no matter who he's around and sometimes seemingly in spite of them lol

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think Tkachuk might be playing a little bit hurt right now. He hasn’t looked nearly as engaged physically as he was at the start of the year. It’s weird that Backlund is finally heating up and somehow that line has gone cold.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
He was getting very overrated by Flames fans saying he was our best player. He is good but his skating i feel holds him back. Johnny even in a mini slump is getting points every game which shows how good he is.

Aug 3, 2010
Tkachuk is intentionally dogging it so his stats look worse so that his next contract will "justifiably" have a lower cap hit. That way, Keith Tkachuk can't try to take the Flames to the cleaners and Matt can continue contributing to a winning team.

#bestconspiracies

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I seriously think the booze, alcohol, and girls thing could affect him. Super young and not every one handles fame and fortune well. Added to that his demeanor of being cocky and stirring it up on the ice constantly.... It could be a real concern. His Dad got a big head and wasn't very liked in the room either.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I mean, this is just baseless speculation trying to stir the pot. Cmon man.

Like I edited there. His Dad wasn't that great of a locker room guy. Obviously I want to be wrong here, but it's just speculating.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I seriously think the booze, alcohol, and girls thing could affect him. Super young and not every one handles fame and fortune well. Added to that his demeanor of being cocky and stirring it up on the ice constantly.... It could be a real concern. His Dad got a big head and wasn't very liked in the room either.
pretty sure you aren't even supposed to be speculating that stuff due to the libel rules on this site.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
pretty sure you aren't even supposed to be speculating that stuff due to the libel rules on this site.
There's nothing libellous about those statements, as far as I know. No defamation. I mean, it's baseless and doesn't really merit attention, but it's not libel.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I think he'll be fine, imo, he's been quite lazy lately or is a little burned out. Can't see why he wouldn't bounce back.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I imagine he’s thinking a bit about his extension as well. Even if he struggles a bit down the stretch here I’m sure he’ll have a great playoffs and be ready to go next year once his future is certain

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There's nothing libellous about those statements, as far as I know. No defamation. I mean, it's baseless and doesn't really merit attention, but it's not libel.

To be fair.
It's well, well known among the hockey world that the Flames young guys party really hard.

I think for Matty, it's more mental. I think he's forcing things a bit too much. Like, last year how many turnovers total did he have in the D Zone? Near none? This year he's just making these cute plays to try and force the transition. I think he looked good yesterday though, so I don't think this continues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad