Player Discussion What is wrong with Tkachuk as of late?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
1 point in 5 games, and 1 even strength point in 10. I love the guy as a character, but his play has been awful as of late. I get that he was great the first half of the year, but he's fallen off big time recently. I'm not convinced he should be the one we give a big extension too, but maybe that's me. He really needs to step up soon though, because the top line has also been slumping as of late as well.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He hasn't passed the eye test this season to me. The points are there because he has natural talent, stuff you can't teach, but I liked him more last season.

Treliving needs to tread carefully with his next contract. At this point, a bridge might be the right move

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In the long run, this is good for the team. He's not an $8M player (neither is Draisaitl) and it won't do the Flames any favours to sign him to that kind of deal.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don’t think anything is wrong with him. He’s a very young, talented player who was produced at an extremely high, unsustainable shooting percentage, early in the season. Expecting him to jump from a 40/50 point player, at 20, to a PPG+ player, without few setbacks, is pretty unrealistic.

Reactions: Dack

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
We have this thread and nobody is talking about Neal still...ugh.

Everyone knows he's not producing and it isn't acceptable. I get that he "looks good", but he's on pace for some ugly point totals. If you want to make a thread, go on ahead.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Everyone knows he's not producing and it isn't acceptable. I get that he "looks good", but he's on pace for some ugly point totals. If you want to make a thread, go on ahead.

You're ragging on a young superstar in a slump was more my point. The same poster who thinks we lost last night because of Smith after Rittich completely shit the bed.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
We have this thread and nobody is talking about Neal still...ugh.

Maybe because Neal was a direct part of both goals we scored in the previous game, and the game winner in a one goal game before that.

Neal has possibly outplayed Tkachuk in 2019.

It's worth discussing if there's some reason for Tkachuk's slump.

Reactions: TychoFan

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Tkachuk has been total bunk since Christmas. Very obviously not playing up to his potential at the moment. Thought he was a lot better for stretches last year, but he also faded later on(concussion). Hopefully we're not seeing lingering effects of another one because that would definitely be worrisome heading into the spring. His stat line looks great but he's scored 21pts playing on that 1st unit and 27 even strength.

Been making frustrating reads in all three zones, passing up great shooting opportunities, and if he's thrown a hard meaningful bodycheck this year I'd be in trouble tying to recall it. He's also 21, so it could very easily be a lack of confidence and gone cold. Happens. I'm really not hating on the kid, love him as a player and hope Treliving gets him signed for 8 years this offsummer at a reasonable price. Just have higher expectations because I've seen what he can be. Same with Monahan tbh.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Kind of hoping BP brings out the Billender against the Canucks Saturday. What really is the harm in trying something else. That's why you have depth.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Neal
Bennett-Monahan-Tkachuk
Frolik-Backlund-Ryan
Mangiapane/Czarnik-Jankowski-Hathaway

kris

Jan 12, 2003
Calgary via Halifax
I'm a big Tkachuk fan. I think he'll be fine, points wise I wouldn't worry too much. His hand eye is one of the best I can remember seeing.

He's a little slow for today's NHL which is a little worrying, but I wouldn't worry about him slumping. If anything it helps reduce his contract. You don't wanna have to pay him $9 mil plus.

He'll snap out, he's a good player. Don't stress

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Thought he had a decent game last night and was unlucky to be held off the scoresheet.

I think he needs to turn the rat up 50% to get back to regular play.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'm a big Tkachuk fan. I think he'll be fine, points wise I wouldn't worry too much. His hand eye is one of the best I can remember seeing.

He's a little slow for today's NHL which is a little worrying, but I wouldn't worry about him slumping. If anything it helps reduce his contract. You don't wanna have to pay him $9 mil plus.

He'll snap out, he's a good player. Don't stress
Yeah, definitely slow, but if it was a real issue we'd have seen it already. He's probably in the bottom quartile of skaters, but his brain, strength, and hands are good enough that I don't know that he'll ever be "too slow".

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Kind of hoping BP brings out the Billender against the Canucks Saturday. What really is the harm in trying something else. That's why you have depth.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Neal
Bennett-Monahan-Tkachuk
Frolik-Backlund-Ryan
Mangiapane/Czarnik-Jankowski-Hathaway

I actually like that a lot.

SlickShot

Feb 8, 2019
Players go in slumps. Just hope his won't last too much longer. If it does than hopefully it will reduce his price a bit for his next contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad