Speculation: What Is Wrong With The Oilers?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Just wondering what Oilers fans think is wrong with this team. Is it the Coach? General Manager? The players? Scouting? Analytics?

What changes would you make to the organization as a whole? (GM, coach, scouting, players, etc)
Curious to see what other Oilers fans think...

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What ISN'T wrong with the Oilers would generate a shorter response.

Despite turning over the GM and coach it still feels like we're stuck with Chiarelli and McLellan. The forwards are putrid outside of the top 6 (and our top 6 wingers are nothing to write home about), the defense has devolved into a vat of toxic waste, and Koskinen is not starting material. The coach is an old dinosaur with no pulse, and the GM tries but fails.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I put this up in the post-game thread a minute ago, but this might be a better place for it:

The team just seems totally disconnected on the ice.

Even looking back to last season, I think a lot of the team's issues were hidden by some heroic 29 and 97 efforts. Too often I see a complete fire-drill out there in all zones. Players for the most part don't seem to know where to go or where to put the puck in d-zone coverages or to facilitate d-zone breakouts.

I think it has to be a combination of coaching, talent level and leadership. I refuse to believe that Turris is truly as bad as he has looked so far, or that Barrie and Kahun are complete nothings like they are currently showing to be.

There are some bad players on this team yes, and we are lacking players in a few key roles that would help our depth chart, particularly in the first D pairing and bottom 6 forwards, but it seems like more than just a talent thing. McDavid and Draisaitl are amazing and I can tell that they are working their asses off to try to drag this team behind them, but particularly in McDavid's case, being the last forward back and circling in the neutral zone, cheating ahead for a break-out pass isn't what a great player should be doing. I understand why he does it, but I think that is the kind of thing that will limit him from becoming a great player in all areas of the ice and is kind of detrimental to team buy-in.

I won't go into the coaching decisions in tonight's game much because I don't see a point in beating a dead horse. Not calling a timeout after the 5-4 goal was a mistake, but the team shouldn't have to be in the position of coming back from 5-3 after having a 3-1 lead. They weren't dominating or anything when they had the lead, but it's unacceptable to blow a game the way they did tonight.

We have some bad players, but we should be able to get more out of this roster. This franchise 20 years ago was fielding competitive (not great, but playoff calibre) teams without a fraction of the top end talent and draft pedigree that this one has. And I'm hesitant to put it all on coaching because we have been through an endless stream of coaches in the last decade, a few of whom have had reasonable success for other franchises. It just seems like this franchise is lacking overall cohesiveness, as well as a R.Smyth/J.Smith type of leadership group. I feel like some good veterans would go a long way, because for pretty much the entire decade, this team hasn't had many key players over age 25.

Last edited:

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
- No decent backup - they've pretty much played every 2nd night since the season started and Koskinen is not built for that.

- too many scrubs who do nothing 5v5, year after year, - Turris, Ennis, Khaira, Archibald, Shore, Kassian, Russell, Neal, Chiasson. They exist to give the top 2 lines a rest.

- lacking a sniper/top six forward - McD still hasn't found a trigger man

- No true #1 defenseman - Nurse would be 2nd pairing on a legit good team. But he has trended upwards so far this season.

- No draft picks beyond the 1st round that have made the team. This is a problem beyond this season. This is changing, but right now, we have 3 guys that made it. Bear (for sure), Jones (maybe) and (sigh) Khaira. That's just pathetic. What then happens then is we have to hope someone gives up a decent player (like Koekkoek) or we continuously go dumpster diving hoping for a gem. Poor drafting also depletes us of having any valuable trade assets.

Reactions: FanofBadHockeyTeam

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Barrie was bad last year- thought he'd turn it around this year on the PP. Nothing.
Turris was bad and bought out- starting to see why.
Kassian- never scores
Chiasson- never scores
James Neal- we'll see
Bear, Nurse, Jones, Larsson- bad defensive lapses consistently
Koskinen- over-worked. Meh. Has an occasional outstanding game
Nuge- Meh.
Yamamoto and Jesse- looking good. Looking good doesnt equal results all the time.
Archibald- doesnt do much
Kahun-meh. Disappointing
Kokkoek looks good. That's a positive.

New players arent doing much, depth options are bad like usual, goaltending is just ok. Tippett being stubborn with dumb line combos. Lack of depth showing up, usual oiler problems. Didnt mention drai and mcdavid cause they're not the real problem, the problem is the backbone of the team.

Still 3-5 can turn it around. Cant consistently hold leads though.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Horrible drafting and development for over ten years. Compounded by horrible trades that weakened the roster (e.g.. Eberle -> Strome -> Spooner -> Gagner -> Nothing. Reinhart for first round pick and high second -> expansion draft -> Nothing.

Chiarelli making this a cap ceiling team with massive roster holes. Compounded by no depth because of above horrible trades and dealing quality draft picks for what became nothing. Holland is trying to pilfer the remainder bin to find cheap, support talent. Mixed reviews of these results. AA deadline deal cost 2 second round picks - valuable trade collateral for roster upgrades and/or assets to stock a below average prospect pool.

The Oiler rebuild(s) 1.0, 2.0 and now 3.0 is textbook how not to bottom out and rebuild. This franchise features average to below average goaltending and verage to below average defense having burned high draft collateral in its early rebuild efforts on finesse forwards. Failing to build from the blue line out has kept this franchise mediocre for well over a decade. Adding to their failure (until somewhat recently) to draft quality NHL roster players rounds 2 to 7 and this team has been chronically asset poor to improve the NHL roster from within or utilize the prospect pool effectively to trade to address areas of neglect/need.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Oilers made bad bets on Turris and Barrie having bounce back seasons.

We miss Klefbom WAY more than we thought.

Secondary scoring non existent.

3rd and 4th lines once again black holes.

Top 4 D are all playing one pairing too high.

Terrible organizational depth.

DRY line broken up.

No depth at goal.

Curious coaching decisions.

The water.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Barrie having as many points as Larsson is concerning to say the least.

Turris also looks cooked as a centre at the NHL level. It's surprising as the guy was at least average defensively for most of his career and he's completely struggling. Haas was better in the same role last year.

Any reason why you shouldn't also give McLeod a shot at this point?

If it were my call, I'd give Turris the RNH treatment and kick him to LW in the top 6. Let him be carried by McDavid or Draisaitl. Haas and McLeod both draw in asap.

RNH-Draisatl-Yamamoto
Turris-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Neal-McLeod*-Kassian
Nygard-Haas-Archibald

*Start the rookie on the soft minutes line.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Bad players and a shit coach who shouldn't be on a bench in 2021. Same story for most of the last 15 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackDogg

quickfeet

Dec 6, 2017
Simple answer, good players don’t want to live / play in Edmonton.

Personally I don’t think the players like each other that much.

King K Rool

Big Bad
Mar 5, 2020
Edmonton
I still blame Chiarelli (not for everything obviously). He actively sabotaged the franchise on his way out and we're still paying for it. Who in their right gosh-darned mind would aquire Manning? I don't have to rehash anything, the name is enough. This was clearly an attempt to establish ill will between McDavid and the franchise.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackDogg

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Bad support players.

Bad Defence.

Bad coaching.

Bad GM.

Bad ownership.

Average goaltending.

Playing about as good as you should expect IMO.

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
1. Nugent Hopkins... when you have maybe the two best centres in the game your third best / most expensive forward can't be another soft centre... he just doesnt fit... They should have and should be looking for a trading partner to move him for pieces that fit this team better..

2. a proper third line centre... i hated the Turris signing, hes soft, hes aging, he is declining.. that spot should have been given to a a younger guy who wants to push.. be physical and be a strong penalty killer.. Turris is miscast here.

3. a legit starting goalie would be nice....

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Lets examine the roster compared to the rest of the league in their specific roles.

RNH (average)-McDavid (elite)-Puljujarvi (below average)
Kahun (below average)-Draisaitl (elite)-Yamamoto (above average)
Neal (below average)-Turris (below average)-Kassian (below average)
Whoever (below average)-Whoever (below average)-Archibald or Chiasson (average)

Nurse (below average)-Bear (below average)
Russell (below average)-Barrie (below average)
Jones (below average)-Larsson (average - if we're putting him in a 3rd pairing role)

Goalies (below average)

You have two elite, one above average, a few average and the rest are below average.

You can't win in this league consistently if most of your roster is below average PERIOD.
3rd line center and the bottom two pairings are particular sore spots. Not to mention Nurse and Bear playing a pairing too high, but at least they're holding their own last night notwithstanding.

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Defensive depth is bad, the goalies are 1Bs at best and the superstars have some of the worst individual defensive impacts in the league.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
-no top-pairing defenseman, Klefbom was the closest and we didn't replace him...let's hope Bouchard and Broberg become one, but they're YEARS away
-goaltending is average...no legit starter and none coming and playing Koskinen every game is a recipe for disaster
-STILL no depth in the bottom 6...Turris, Khaira, Chiasson, Neal, Shore, Archibald....all 4th liners at best
-Holland's signings have been a disaster other than Koekoek

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Big 2 is not enough. They need a big 4. McDavid, Drai, top line winger, #1/2D

We need someone better than RNH to push him down to the 2nd line. He is more like a 2nd liner playing on the 1st line.
Same with Nurse. He is more like a #3/4 D playing top pairing. Push him down to the 2nd pairing and reduce his minutes.

Dirt McGintty

Jan 29, 2019
Intensity.

I have never seen such a boring team. No life whatsoever. Nurse and Kassian have been intimidating forces in the past. Now they seem to be so worried about getting a certain amount of minutes playing on top lines that they are scared to initiate at all. I can excuse Nurse, somewhat, because he needs to be on the ice. But you can still up the intensity without taking penalties. Kassian has no excuse. Karia had a perfect opportunity to put his mark on a game last night. Multiple goals scored against the team in the third period and momentum all with the other team. Bubble player, scrum in the corner and he does next to nothing. Archibald at least showed a heartbeat in the scrum.

The last two times this team made the playoffs they had a pulse. Kassian and Maroon seemed to be involved in a scrum of some sort every second shift in 2016/17. Last year the team had all the drama with Calgary. I am not someone who just wants a bunch of staged fights, but intense battles bring a team together. Players find out that they can engage in the battle and not just wait for two superstars to do all the heavy lifting. Our most intense player weighs all of 150 lbs and has no backup. Not nearly good enough and the team will not gel until they start actually battling.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
we had no depth in any positions
coach doesn't seem to want to adapt
holland is a fossil who doesn't have a vision for this team

I think the better title would be "What isn't wrong with the Oilers"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad