News Article: What is wrong with the NHL?

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
If the Oilers made the playoffs we would have played Calgary.

If Montreal made the playoffs they could have met Toronto at some point however unlikely.

Format is good I think. Maybe an expanded wildcard race perhaps.

Vegas Sharks is a bitter rivalry now already. Capitals Penguins is also albeit not Canadian teams.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
bump

So heres another micro example of the NHL not giving a toss about Canada.

One Canadian club remains in the playoffs.

In a critical deciding game (oddly played on Easter Sunday instead of HNIC Saturday Night) The NHL had determined that they wanted a 3pm AFTERNOON start time to this game because that's what NBC wants, and what NBC wants, NBC gets. Who gives a **** about the Canadian viewing market? Its Canada, after a long winter, and the most Gorgeous afternoon expected that we have seen on Easter Sunday in decades. But we should stay indoors and watch hockey. Nah, I'm going cycling. Enjoying the warm sun, enjoying the day. Will be 17C here which in Canada, in spring, is FANTASTIC!

This is a game on Canadian soil, a pretty much must win game for the home team, and the terms are being dictated state side. Advantage Bruins, who have played 12 afternoon games this season to Toronto's one afternoon home game. So the Bruins would be much more acclimated to this start time.

When are some of these NHL Canadian owners going to take a balls out stand and tell the NHL to **** off with such nonsense and US Kowtowing.

I despise the Leafs as much as the next person but I fume at our national autonomy not being respected.

ps its Saturday yesterday and ALL the games were early starts. Screw Canada, all early time slots. Hockey NIGHT in Canada be damned, on Saturday, in the playoffs.

Leafs-Bruins Game 6 moved to 3 p.m. Sunday

I'm surprised but this is calling the kettle black. They move Toronto games up for Toronto fans all the time so not shedding a tear on this one

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
bump

So heres another micro example of the NHL not giving a toss about Canada.

One Canadian club remains in the playoffs.

In a critical deciding game (oddly played on Easter Sunday instead of HNIC Saturday Night) The NHL had determined that they wanted a 3pm AFTERNOON start time to this game because that's what NBC wants, and what NBC wants, NBC gets. Who gives a **** about the Canadian viewing market? Its Canada, after a long winter, and the most Gorgeous afternoon expected that we have seen on Easter Sunday in decades. But we should stay indoors and watch hockey. Nah, I'm going cycling. Enjoying the warm sun, enjoying the day. Will be 17C here which in Canada, in spring, is FANTASTIC!

This is a game on Canadian soil, a pretty much must win game for the home team, and the terms are being dictated state side. Advantage Bruins, who have played 12 afternoon games this season to Toronto's one afternoon home game. So the Bruins would be much more acclimated to this start time.

When are some of these NHL Canadian owners going to take a balls out stand and tell the NHL to **** off with such nonsense and US Kowtowing.

I despise the Leafs as much as the next person but I fume at our national autonomy not being respected.

ps its Saturday yesterday and ALL the games were early starts. Screw Canada, all early time slots. Hockey NIGHT in Canada be damned, on Saturday, in the playoffs.

Leafs-Bruins Game 6 moved to 3 p.m. Sunday
There’s no doubt the game time was moved to appease NBC. The question is why? By now everybody knows Sportsnet paid $5.2 billion for broadcasting rights to the league and NBC paid pennies on the dollar by comparison. Why is NBC still calling the shots on start times involving Canadian teams? If I was a big wig at Sportsnet I’d be asking myself what exactly it is I paid for because it certainly wasn’t influence.

Maybe Leafs fans are happy with the move because the Raptors game is starting at 7pm est. Last weekend, the Leafs, Raptors and FC Toronto were all playing at exactly the same time with a Jays game finishing just before. Three of the four games were at home too. That’s pretty crummy scheduling for a fan, especially the ones that go to games. If the start time was moved for the purposes of fan experience, even partially, then it’s a good thing. If it wasn’t though, Sportsnet should be questioning how the league treats them in relation to NBC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There’s no doubt the game time was moved to appease NBC. The question is why? By now everybody knows Sportsnet paid $5.2 billion for broadcasting rights to the league and NBC paid pennies on the dollar by comparison. Why is NBC still calling the shots on start times involving Canadian teams? If I was a big wig at Sportsnet I’d be asking myself what exactly it is I paid for because it certainly wasn’t influence.

Maybe Leafs fans are happy with the move because the Raptors game is starting at 7pm est. Last weekend, the Leafs, Raptors and FC Toronto were all playing at exactly the same time with a Jays game finishing just before. Three of the four games were at home too. That’s pretty crummy scheduling for a fan, especially the ones that go to games. If the start time was moved for the purposes of fan experience, even partially, then it’s a good thing. If it wasn’t though, Sportsnet should be questioning how the league treats them in relation to NBC.
Excellent post. How many US markets would have this kind of oversight where all the games are on at the same time for a market? Seems to me more attention to this kind of thing gets paid to the US markets.

But yeah, lots of pundits questioning why Rogers pays way more for the product, and NBC is calling the scheduling and timing slots for their benefit. The Canadian Broadcaster should obviously get first say, because they pay the most, but in Canada we're used to doing whatever the US tells us to..

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Hi guys, long time no see. I haven't watched an NHL game for 3 years now. Watered down league that isn't very appealing or entertaining. They've lost me as a fan.
Good to see you. I was wondering where you’d gone. Shame you don’t watch hockey or post here anymore ... but you aren’t the only old timer who has vanished from the board over the last few years. :(

Re OP - doesn’t it all come down to money? TV money? Expansion money? Stars in the league now making $10 million plus? A salary cap that ‘needs’ to grow every season? Everybody ‘needs’ a new arena? Humans have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are nothing if not avaricious. Must grow. Must gobble more market share. Must get richer. Must must must. They should do away with anthems and just play the Pink Floyd tune in every arena before every game, and the sound of an old style cash register instead of a horn or a cannon after every goal.

If anyone doubts this, please explain why the NHL goes to PRC of all places for its pre season games. :shakehead It sounds so noble when Bettman says oh we want to ‘grow the game’. Only the gullible are taken in by propaganda like that. What they really want to grow is their pile of money. It motivates everything they do. f*** the current fans, and especially the middle class Canadian fans who made this league. They want to sell jerseys and TV rights to people who have never skated, and will never skate, a day in their lives.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Hi guys, long time no see.

I haven't watched an NHL game for 3 years now. Watered down league that isn't very appealing or entertaining. They've lost me as a fan.

I assume Keith Gretzky being hired as GM would rejuvenate your fandom? :)

Reactions: Dorian2

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I assume Keith Gretzky being hired as GM would rejuvenate your fandom? :)
Fun Gretzky family fact: when Brent Gretzky played in Danbury for my beloved Trashers of the old UHL (I actually worked for the team) our fans nicknamed him "Shemp".
FB_IMG_1555733930599.jpg

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Hi guys, long time no see.

I haven't watched an NHL game for 3 years now. Watered down league that isn't very appealing or entertaining. They've lost me as a fan.

Yeah, don't feel too bad about it. I pretty much never tune in and only scoreboard watch most of the time. It's a way of life these days.

Reactions: Dorian2

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
These are some of the most exciting playoffs I've seen in a while. The top teams in both conferences are gone. Depending how games to this week the entire top 4 could be out in the first round which makes the playoffs anyone's game.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Exactly! That is what I was trying to get across here.

I have said that McDavid may be wondering how much longer he can stand being here, if he should've pulled a Lindros and refused to come here if it was going to be this bad....

The Oilers are literally letting it potentially happen just so Katz can keep sniffing jockstraps.

Do you have a problem with reading? I'm not trying to be rude here, I'm just asking: I specifically said that McDavid may be asking himself if he should've pulled a Lindros. What do you want me to say, exactly? That he loves being part of the punchline to the joke that this organization is, which is that his career is being wasted?

You should be worried alongside me that McDavid may consider bailing outta here. I'm sorry, but I don't buy that "he's too classy for that" spiel when even Tim Duncan almost left San Antonio and only didn't because the Magic wouldn't let his family fly with him on the team plane. He didn't spend all those years competing to be the best in the game just to see his talents squandered.
If you knew anything about McDavid, you'd realize how outside of his character that would actually be. His being drafted by the Otters in junior are very similar to Edmonton. He's got class, unlike Lindros who came across like a spoiled brat.

Reactions: oilers'72

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
These are some of the most exciting playoffs I've seen in a while. The top teams in both conferences are gone. Depending how games to this week the entire top 4 could be out in the first round which makes the playoffs anyone's game.

It's funny, I don't actually find the playoffs that good this year. The whistles are even more away than usual, leading to blatant two handed chops going uncalled, the upsets haven't really been entertaining to watch for me, mostly grindy affairs which ended up being lopsided. And frankly this degree of upsets kinda leaves me caring even less about the regular season than I have in the past. I get that parity is better for the league but it also seems like a joke when you can't even see any predictive value in the regular season. Just goes to show taste is subjective and varied as hell I suppose.

As for OP, my issues with the NHL have less to do with catering more to Canada and more how the games play - reffing is a joke and clutch and grab is back in full force. At least pad changes have made the goals more frequent in the regular season, but it's still a choppy game without any flow to it.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If you knew anything about McDavid, you'd realize how outside of his character that would actually be. His being drafted by the Otters in junior are very similar to Edmonton. He's got class, unlike Lindros who came across like a spoiled brat.
It's like McDavid said. If he didn't want to be here, he wouldn't of signed an 8 year contract

Reactions: McBooya42

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Draivsaitl (did I spell it right?) and I have had our differences at times, but I pretty much agree with everything he's said here. I do truly feel sorry for younger NHL fans of the Oilers these days -- and not only because the team blows, but because they've never experienced an Edmonton vs. Calgary, or even Edmonton vs. Winnipeg/Vancouver playoff series. When I was a kid, there would always be two or three -- sometimes four? -- Canada vs. Canada first-round playoff series. It was incredibly awesome, and nothing has ever replaced it for excitement and intensity. If you remember 2004 Calgary vs. Vancouver, it was a bit like that but way better, and there were multiple series like that every season.

Okay, so why does this never happen now? There are two reasons:
1) Too many of the Canadian teams have sucked in recent years (and it's harder to make the playoffs the more teams there are); and
2) The NHL treats Canadian franchises as their hands-off cash cow

It's not that the NHL dislikes Canadian franchises (obviously) -- quite the opposite. The NHL loves its Canadian franchises, because it can screw them over repeatedly, they can suck (and let teams in Vegas and Florida go on Cup wins and get the headlines), and fans will still fill the buildings and add a lot to the revenue pile of dough.

Canadian fans are simply too loyal and polite to cause any stir with the NHL.

I personally think, as the NHL is now getting too large (watered down) and unwieldy with 32 teams, that the NHL soon needs to split into two 'Leagues', akin to Major League Baseball. The owners will of course push for this to be an "East" and "West" league, instead of a "North" / "South", and Canadian fans will probably capitulate. But anyway, I agree that it is entirely possible for there to be an all-Canadian division, or for a "North" League to include all the Canadian teams (and of course several American ones as well).

The Oilers haven't exactly helped this problem by royally sucking since 2006.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's funny, I don't actually find the playoffs that good this year. The whistles are even more away than usual, leading to blatant two handed chops going uncalled, the upsets haven't really been entertaining to watch for me, mostly grindy affairs which ended up being lopsided. And frankly this degree of upsets kinda leaves me caring even less about the regular season than I have in the past. I get that parity is better for the league but it also seems like a joke when you can't even see any predictive value in the regular season. Just goes to show taste is subjective and varied as hell I suppose.

As for OP, my issues with the NHL have less to do with catering more to Canada and more how the games play - reffing is a joke and clutch and grab is back in full force. At least pad changes have made the goals more frequently in the regular season, but it's still a choppy game without any flow to it.

Kind of disagree with this. You can still tell what kind of teams will prevail in playoffs. Hey, in 2012 I picked the Kings to win the cup on the basis of how they played the first 2 games in the first round series against the Canucks. You could just see the teamwork, confidence, all round play and physicality. Nobody was going to be able to stand up to it. NHL Playoffs is a huge team system sport. If a team is gelled and all on board its real hard to deal with that. So you have to spot which teams are gelled, playing tight system, strong physically to withstand playoff hockey and that have deep lineups.

This year Vegas, Sharks, Dallas were my favorites to come out of the west. That said I botched Colorado because I've never viewed them as being a playoff package. Teams I had no faith in included Winnipeg, Nash, STL. Calgary I felt would lose easy if they faced Dallas and obviously they would. The Stars spanked an even better team. But absolutely, for people that like odds, darkhorses theres a lot of room in the NHL for making intuitive picks. What kind of odds would I have gotten for Dallas? Vegas?

I don't follow the East as closely but I did call that it would be wide open and there would be a neophyte team advancing. Caps without Trotz are not going to be as good. Pens are sated, Lightning are a playoff failboat. It was going to be playoff virgins prevailing all day in the East.

In anycase Sharks vs Stars in West Final. Either one of those wins the cup. That's my pick. Assuming that the Sharks manage to dispatch Vegas. If the Sharks don't beat Vegas they are in the mix.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So another obvious thing. Theres been a societal shift, I feel, in generational experience with pressure. This can be seen in respective generations response to war, hardship, etc. In WW 1, 2 you had soldiers stationed longterm in the worst Wars. Completely horrific situations. All the Soldiers that survived were expected to just flick a switch and enter back into society. Stone cold resilience.

Contrast to latter day wars and military missions and its a constant one stop shopping for PTSD and supports and the enlisted facing Trauma for long periods of time. Indeed in the world now we even have concepts of life long trauma, invented trauma, rediscovered trauma, and one faith that feel human are impacted by the last 7 generations collective life experience and trauma...

Where am I going with this? Rocket Richard, you could throw bombs at him on ice and he wouldn't be deterred. You could highstick him in the face repeatedly, concuss him, and he come back wobbly and still able to score OT goals. The man was undeniable. You'd probably have to shoot him with a round of ammunition to stop him in his tracks. He'd probably score a final goal before dropping. (poetic licence)

But todays players in Winnipeg, Calgary (name any other Canadian city) face all this pressure and expectation and wilt. Now players can't deal with it. Its like every Canadian Team is England at the WC and I think its a familiar, similar problem. I think its global. Look at Brazil being clobbered 7-1 by Germany in their WC. They couldn't handle the pressure of a home WC and folded. Germany did the same in 2006 when they hosted WC and in Russia in 2018 when they tried to defend..

I think how pressure is framed is different, in different time eras. Pressure used to just be something you would overcome, you had to, no other choice to be successful. Pressure was viewed as something that forced you to be better. A challenge to overcome, a peak to scale. Now its a gateway for drugs, pain relief, unending therapy. Wilting, excuses,

For instance we have a full blown phenomenon now of "Ghosting" where people don't show up for relationship dates or work place appearances. They just disappear, go in hiding, don't show, don't answer any calls, texts, etc. This is a new thing and basically unheard of in general population in previous generations. its like people feel a shift about how they think about something and just bail. Without even giving notice. What is that? Cold feet used to just be some nervous prevarication, you might lose some sleep but you would soldier on, pun intended. Now cold feed precludes even showing up. There would be a new ending now in a sequel for "The Graduate" The protagonist would just stay in his room for the rest of his life self medicating and wondering what could have been..

So in sum when Canadian clubs in hockey mad markets now face the Canada pressure of performance they have more difficulty coping with that, overcoming that. So they crater. Not just the Flames choking, Canadian tradition in the NHL now since 1993.

ps obviously the post is tongue in cheek, don't take too seriously, just thinking out loud with some of this and even a bit of humored poetic licence.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Kind of disagree with this. You can still tell what kind of teams will prevail in playoffs. Hey, in 2012 I picked the Kings to win the cup on the basis of how they played the first 2 games in the first round series against the Canucks. You could just see the teamwork, confidence, all round play and physicality. Nobody was going to be able to stand up to it. NHL Playoffs is a huge team system sport. If a team is gelled and all on board its real hard to deal with that. So you have to spot which teams are gelled, playing tight system, strong physically to withstand playoff hockey and that have deep lineups.

This year Vegas, Sharks, Dallas were my favorites to come out of the west. That said I botched Colorado because I've never viewed them as being a playoff package. Teams I had no faith in included Winnipeg, Nash, STL. Calgary I felt would lose easy if they faced Dallas and obviously they would. The Stars spanked an even better team. But absolutely, for people that like odds, darkhorses theres a lot of room in the NHL for making intuitive picks. What kind of odds would I have gotten for Dallas? Vegas?

I don't follow the East as closely but I did call that it would be wide open and there would be a neophyte team advancing. Caps without Trotz are not going to be as good. Pens are sated, Lightning are a playoff failboat. It was going to be playoff virgins prevailing all day in the East.

In anycase Sharks vs Stars in West Final. Either one of those wins the cup. That's my pick. Assuming that the Sharks manage to dispatch Vegas. If the Sharks don't beat Vegas they are in the mix.

I'm just going to note that you bolded my statement about the regular season lacking any predictive value and went on to tell me that you based your predictions on the early playoff games...

Also I haven't once seen you say that Dallas was a favourite to come out of the West. Dallas has been laughably inconsistent all year long and a one-line team - I've seen you mock them for that repeatedly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad