What is wrong with the Blues? Some ideas...

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
And they have done quite literally nothing else. 2 points total in 15 combined games for our rookies.
The best goal-scorer that Thomas has played with is whichever defensemen happen to be on the ice at the same time he is.

Kyrou has spent a lot of time with Steen/Bozak, and they probably should have had more points by now. Steen has scored a few and Bozak finally got his first (on a power play with Kyrou not on the ice). Kyrou is clearly going to be best utilized as a rush player/on a line with speedy linemates, and his current linemates don't play to that strength from the eye test. Seems like the speed difference is just causing problems there.

You can see them both get dangerous passes to players who either aren't expecting them or flub them, and occasionally getting stonewalled by a goalie

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
Fair point, but when I say offense I don't just mean goals. I mean bad passes and puck fumbling in the ozone that leads to transition chances the other way. Shots from the circles that go wide and clear the zone.

Adam Oates was on Spitting Chiclets last week. He focuses on minimizing the small mistakes like fumbled pucks and slow or inaccurate passes. Since I listened to him all I could notice this weekend was how poorly the Blues handled the puck compared to the other team

Time for Petro, Schenn and Schwartz to bring in Oates as a consultant to fix Yeos mistakes.

Just like in Minnesota. Lol.

Seriously though, our coaching staff is mostly guys who had no skill but worked hard and we're tough when they played the game. Yeo, Berube, Ott.

And this teams strategies seem to be the problem.

Perhaps a coach who better understands strategies and systems would make the whole team look better.

I feel like this team would do a 180 and look like a cup contender if you brought in a new coach and system.

Similar to the Penguins and Kings a few years back. I believe both of those teams also won cups.

Reactions: LogosBlue

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
The best goal-scorer that Thomas has played with is whichever defensemen happen to be on the ice at the same time he is.

Kyrou has spent a lot of time with Steen/Bozak, and they probably should have had more points by now. Steen has scored a few and Bozak finally got his first (on a power play with Kyrou not on the ice). Kyrou is clearly going to be best utilized as a rush player/on a line with speedy linemates, and his current linemates don't play to that strength from the eye test. Seems like the speed difference is just causing problems there.

You can see them both get dangerous passes to players who either aren't expecting them or flub them, and occasionally getting stonewalled by a goalie

I was hoping to see a kid line of Blais, Thomas and Kyrou. They would compliment each other well, if they got the ice time, offensive zone starts and are not liabilities defensively.

Blais I would be ok with sending back to the AHL and putting Maroon or Fabbri with Thomas and Kyrou. When Schwartz and Fabbri get back.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
And they have done quite literally nothing else. 2 points total in 15 combined games for our rookies.

I'm livid with how they are handling Thomas. At this rate it looks like he's going back to junior after 9 games.

I also don't get it with Blais. He's good in the AHL and preseason but has done NOTHING when it counts up here. There are a million guys like that. Barbashev does nothing as well.

I'd see what Sanford can do in Blais spot at least. Or Barbashevs. And play Thomas more than 5 minutes a night.

I know long term Thomas is a center but I'd love to see them put Maroon in a role where he basically plays the 4th line but then plays a ton on the power play in front of the net. Give Thomas Maroon's spot. See what happens.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I was hoping to see a kid line of Blais, Thomas and Kyrou. They would compliment each other well, if they got the ice time, offensive zone starts and are not liabilities defensively.

Blais I would be ok with sending back to the AHL and putting Maroon or Fabbri with Thomas and Kyrou. When Schwartz and Fabbri get back.
But they really are, and will be even more so if put together on a line. I want to see Thomas and Kyrou get more ice time too, but it has to be in increments. They have to learn the NHL game, and as much as some people here don't like it, that includes the defensive aspect. Thomas already has good defensive awareness, but certainly has a long way to go. As somebody posted earlier, he has cost his lines possession, regardless of who is with him. Kyrou needs to learn to choose when to go. He is getting better at it. The learning process can be slow, and as much I understand peoples frustrations, but we need to be more patient with the rookies. Blais, I am less optimistic about. His effort is there, but I'm still not convinced he has the skills to be an NHL regular. I hope he pulls it off.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I'm livid with how they are handling Thomas. At this rate it looks like he's going back to junior after 9 games.

I also don't get it with Blais. He's good in the AHL and preseason but has done NOTHING when it counts up here. There are a million guys like that. Barbashev does nothing as well.

I'd see what Sanford can do in Blais spot at least. Or Barbashevs. And play Thomas more than 5 minutes a night.

I know long term Thomas is a center but I'd love to see them put Maroon in a role where he basically plays the 4th line but then plays a ton on the power play in front of the net. Give Thomas Maroon's spot. See what happens.
I'll make a healthy wager with anyone against this. I don't think Armstrong is even entertaining this idea. If Yeo thought this was likely, they sure wouldn't be playing Thomas with such few minutes starting out. Their actions are much more consistent with a plan for him to gradually become a bigger part of this team as the year goes along (and his game acclimates to the NHL).

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
But they really are, and will be even more so if put together on a line. I want to see Thomas and Kyrou get more ice time too, but it has to be in increments. They have to learn the NHL game, and as much as some people here don't like it, that includes the defensive aspect. Thomas already has good defensive awareness, but certainly has a long way to go. As somebody posted earlier, he has cost his lines possession, regardless of who is with him. Kyrou needs to learn to choose when to go. He is getting better at it. The learning process can be slow, and as much I understand peoples frustrations, but we need to be more patient with the rookies. Blais, I am less optimistic about. His effort is there, but I'm still not convinced he has the skills to be an NHL regular. I hope he pulls it off.
Everyone's a liability when the structure is crap, because nobody in the NHL looks consistently good when they're on an island without support, or when they're hung out to dry because of a breakdown elsewhere, etc.

It might not be incorrect, but I think it's hard to single out the struggles for some of the kids and blame it on their inexperience when defensively solid vets are also looking just as lost. I mean, how many Blues players are looking consistently good defensively right now? If the majority of the team was playing well defensively, I think we'd have a better read on just where the kids stand in that area.

Reactions: Chief Steele

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad