What is wrong with the Blues? Some ideas...

Discussion in 'St. Louis Blues' started by Lancer, Oct 15, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Lancer

Lancer Lord

I see there are some threads talking about this guy or that guy or who our next coach should be but I see this as a system-wide player problem.

There is LOTS of hesitation going on with the Blues. The most obvious one I see is Tarasenko. He gets a puck from a pass and settles it down, and picks his spot, giving the goalie and D all the time they need to get into position. It's not just Frank either. Our PP has been a lot better, I get that. But good lord the Blues actually played great with the goalie pulled too! Except for one thing... they kept looking for that perfect play. I am not someone who yells "SHOOT!" at the games but gosh darnit I wouldn't be upset with anyone that did last night.

And how about Perron late in the third had a wide open look and decides to drop-pass and nobody was home and the Ducks go the other way. Unreal.

This team needs to learn to shoot when they have a shot. Who care's about being "the nice guy" or being selfless. Goals win games - not gold stars for trying to be cute.

MissouriMook and thedustman like this.
  2. Chief Steele

Chief Steele Registered User

agreed, to a point. the team was good last year in the DZ. this year not so much I feel some of them look lost its just doesn't look like the same scheme as last year. Maybe they need time to bond and this road trip will do it. but as I will say again and again this is the job of the coach to set the bar and stick to it, Yeo wants to call out and sit Dunn then he needs to do the same with some of the Vets that are struggling, that will send a bigger message than sitting a 2nd year guy.

Maybe we all have to high of expectations of this team maybe they are a bottom half of the bracket team, and we just didn't want to see it. IDK but IMO the coaching staff needs to step it up.

3. Stealth JD

Stealth JD Get some beer...and some...cleaning products. Sponsor

they lack chemistry up front, and talent in the back. They need two more 'good' d-men, because they three they have aren't cutting it.

4. BlueDream

BlueDream Registered User

So have we written Dunn off as being good already? Sheesh. I think Schmaltz has looked solid too. Those guys need playing time...

The personnel on defense isn't the issue. Acquiring somebody else to block the young guys even more isn't going to help. Player-wise, it's probably a top 10 group in the league.

5. LetsGoBLUES91

LetsGoBLUES91 Registered User

The defense has been absolutely horrendous. An abomination. It really is that simple. The forwards have looked pretty damn good. Goaltending has been okay.

6. 67Blues

67Blues Stay off my lawn

Professional Curmudgeon
    Wow, Dunn took exactly a year to become Ian Cole. Impressive

7. BlueDream

Who's looking pretty solid these days. He'd be nice to have over Bouwmeester right now. If Dunn and/or Schmaltz follow that trajectory, I'm okay with that!

8. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal Registered User

Any reports or rumors about a potential locker room problem? Granted, the biggest issue I see with Blues is that special teams are absolute trash, but they've look so off that I feel like there's something else going on.

Bendak likes this.
  9. BrokenFace

BrokenFace Registered User

Primarily the offense is the problem, just like always.
    This weird half zone half man defensive scheme is terrible too though

10. mw2noobbuster

mw2noobbuster Registered User

Game 1: 1 goal
    Game 2: 4 goals
    Game 3: 5 goals
    Game 4: 3 goals
    Game 5: 2 goals

That's 3 goals per game. Failing to see how the offense is the problem here.

11. 542365

542365 Schwartz Be With You

There are lots of problems, and one small one that hasn't been addressed too much, and is to be expected a bit, is that complete lack of production from the rookies. They're not getting a ton of ice time(especially Thomas), but outside of Kyrou's couple of dancing shifts to end last night's game, and Blais getting handed a puck on the tape in the slot against Chicago, the young kids haven't generated anything. We aren't relying on them to be big time producers yet, but getting nothing isn't cutting it either. Outside of the top line, every line has a rookie on it who is looking clueless most of the time. They don't appear to be making any positive strides either, so they're just holding back their lines without actually helping in other areas. That's going to have to change to have success too.

12. Falco Lombardi

Falco Lombardi AKA Dolph Ziggler

Pop quiz: how many games have the Blues allowed less than three goals this year?

And when I say the Blues, I mean the whole team, not just the goalies.

13. bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223 Registered User

This is an interesting take.

RoarBacon likes this.
  14. Majorityof1

Majorityof1 Registered User Sponsor

Scoring is up league wide. 3.00 G/gm is only good for 16th(tied) in the league. We are bolstered by the 6th best PP % in the league due to a couple fluke goals. We are tied for 2nd most powerplay opportunities. Combined that means we have 2nd most PP goals in the league at 7. We know that neither the # of PP opportunities nor 30% PP efficiency will last. Obviously we need to worry more about our team defense, being 4th worst (tied) in GA/gm, 4th worst in shots against/60 and 3rd worst in scoring chances against per 60. However we could definitely use more 5v5 offense. We are 25th in ES GF/60.

TLDR; We suck at everything except PP, which is bolstered by the abnormally high "bone-head opposing goalie decision/60" we are getting.

Dbrownss and nonzerochance like this.
  15. 67Blues

67Blues Stay off my lawn

Professional Curmudgeon
    I meant from the standpoint that Ian Cole rapidly became a favorite whipping post over on the asylum. Then once traded, he became the reincarnation of Scott Stevens

16. BlueDream

I got the point. I was just adding onto it.

67Blues likes this.
  17. BrokenFace

BrokenFace Registered User

Fair point, but when I say offense I don't just mean goals. I mean bad passes and puck fumbling in the ozone that leads to transition chances the other way. Shots from the circles that go wide and clear the zone.

Adam Oates was on Spitting Chiclets last week. He focuses on minimizing the small mistakes like fumbled pucks and slow or inaccurate passes. Since I listened to him all I could notice this weekend was how poorly the Blues handled the puck compared to the other team

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    MortiestOfMortys likes this.
  18. mw2noobbuster

mw2noobbuster Registered User

I agree with you. The poster above was making the claim that the offense was the primary problem, I don't believe it is. Which is why I stated the statistic.

19. Spektre

Spektre Registered User

They're losing more so than winning.

The idea is to win more than lose.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  20. Stealth JD

Stealth JD Get some beer...and some...cleaning products. Sponsor

Dunn may become something...but he's a (much) lesser version of Shattenkirk at this point - a marginal 3rd-pairing guy unless he significantly picks up his play. whoopty-do.

We have 3 guys who can be relied upon, and a whole lot of guys that need sheltering. Schmaltz has impressed me though.

21. SteveR85

SteveR85 Registered User

Puck luck has been a killer so far.

Look at that first goal last night. Edmundson's shot from the point deflects off a player right onto Comtois's stick who quickly fed a pass to Silfverberg who already had momentum going toward the Blues goal from attempting to block Edmundson's shot. Not sure anything about that play needed to be executed differently. Ducks got the bounce and capitalized with a well placed shot from Silfverberg. Blues have given up a few goals this year already where the puck had a perfect bounce to get on to someone's stick.

upload_2018-10-15_14-58-47.png

upload_2018-10-15_14-59-44.png

Also, breakdowns in our own end have been killer. The go-ahead goal last night - AP fumbles the puck in the corner. That's unfortunate but he's not entirely to blame for the goal. What in the hell is Bouwmeester doing challenging Kessler here? He's not a threat to score from the angle but the two guys you just left uncovered sure the hell are.
    upload_2018-10-15_14-55-20.png

upload_2018-10-15_14-56-23.png

Lancer, shifting and MortiestOfMortys like this.
  22. carter333167

carter333167 Registered User Sponsor

Plays by Kyrou and Thomas set up the first two goals in our only win.

23. MortiestOfMortys

MortiestOfMortys Registered User

Kicking names
    So much is made of speed, and while it’s important, this league has become a stick checking league. If you don’t have a good stick, you’re going to get eaten alive. That’s one element of how we’re falling apart. The offense looks good when it works, but too often it’s falling apart because of (a) a bad pass, (b) a fumbled puck in the neutral zone, or (c) a failed keep in. Pietrangelo has been very bad at keeping the puck in the zone for a few years now, and Parayko and Dunn have been guilty of it more often than is acceptable as well. It kills all of our momentum when we have to circle back, dump it in, change a few guys out and hope to get back into the cycle after a failed keep-in. We’re just playing very sloppy hockey.

24. 542365

542365 Schwartz Be With You

And they have done quite literally nothing else. 2 points total in 15 combined games for our rookies.

Lancer likes this.
  25. MissouriMook

MissouriMook A Mook Among Men Sponsor

This hits the nail on the head pretty well in my opinion. We look slow in just about every facet of the game. A lot has been said about our play in our own end, but I've been appalled at how far this team has regressed in it's play in the neutral zone. We've become way too easy to defend against with how slowly and deliberately we move in our transition to offense, and we seem very disconnected between the forwards and the defense when defending our opponents' zone entries. And if I see Bouwmeester play the puck in the neutral zone one more time where he pulls the puck back into the D-Zone and turns it over to the forecheck (basically giving away a zone entry) I'm going to jump the glass and strangle him with his own skate laces. (Not really, but I think I've made my point)

We've always had issues with getting shots off quickly, especially on the power play when we're looking to line up screens rather than moving the puck east-west and getting a quick shot off before the goalie can square up. But this year it seems like we're slowing the play down for no reason at all. I was at the game last night and it was appalling how much more slowly we got pucks to the net than Anaheim.

I don't want to throw one guy under the bus, but the one forward that I see that needs to make better decisions with the puck is Thomas. Every time he gains the zone his first choice is to curl and look for a trailer instead of driving to the net. What he is finding is what everyone here already knows - that trailer isn't usually there, and the result has been lots and lots of turnovers at the offensive blue line. We have absolutely no sense of finding seams for passes or (except for Kyrou) finding quiet, undefended areas of the ice. I don't know if this is a personnel issue, a chemistry issue or a coaching issue, but it needs to be addressed because we're neutering our own effectiveness. Better puck support in all three zones, quicker decisions and (for crying out loud) let's make one-timers great again!

/rant