What is VGK's core?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I thought, who would we trade, and I don't know if I see the team trading anyone. That got me thinking, what is our core?

Pacioretty, Stone, Marchessualt, Karlsson, Glass, Tuch, Theodore, Schmidt, Hague, Fleury.

These are the players I can't see us trading for the next three years, so is that our core?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I think Smith is more safe than Tuch. If one of the top 7 forwards goes I think it will be him even though IMO it would be a mistake.

I'd also throw Krebs in with the group that won't be moved.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
3 years from now: Glass, Stone, Tuch, Wild Bill, Theodore, Hague and Schmidt plus a young pup or two
I'd like to think Marchessault will be a part of that too. Hopefully Smith as well.

I'm hoping GMKM is asking himself this question as well.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
I think Stone, Glass, Theodore, Hague, and Schmidt are safe. If management had thoughts of trading Marchessault last season, then he’s probably not considered part of the core. I think WK and Tuch have contracts that are friendly enough to move if needed, especially if their production falls off.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I really like Smith's game and very cap-friendly contract. I see him as a young first or fabulous second liner making third line money. So no trading Smith

Pacioretty is a 7 million+ player with 5 years remaining at age 32 - obviously having a great season, our only real sniper, but his value will never be higher and if the right offer comes along, yes I'd trade him for a top prospect/lottery draft pick plus first pair defenseman.

Don't want to part with Marchessault, but I would part with Karlsson, again other team needs to overpay for him.

Tuch's value is zilch nowadays, his combo of size and speed is hard to find. His "slump" is largely due to bad linemates, he's a bad fit where he's playing. I hope he's part of the core.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I really like Smith's game and very cap-friendly contract. I see him as a young first or fabulous second liner making third line money. So no trading Smith

Pacioretty is a 7 million+ player with 5 years remaining at age 32 - obviously having a great season, our only real sniper, but his value will never be higher and if the right offer comes along, yes I'd trade him for a top prospect/lottery draft pick plus first pair defenseman.

Don't want to part with Marchessault, but I would part with Karlsson, again other team needs to overpay for him.

Tuch's value is zilch nowadays, his combo of size and speed is hard to find. His "slump" is largely due to bad linemates, he's a bad fit where he's playing. I hope he's part of the core.

I think Pacioretty is only a year or two older than Smith and he is signed for only another 3 years. I also think he seems the type who would age well because he actually gives a crap and treats it as his work. He appears motivated to keep his body in good enough shape to be productive through the contract.

If he was still useful and willing to take a discount, I could be convinced we should re-sign him.

Smith could get a raise or longer term than we want when his contract is up in two years, so I think he could be traded.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

If Deboner bumps Tuch up to the 2nd line RW and gets him going, he might win me over. No time like the present, with WB out for weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad