What is up with Canada's goaltending?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Thought it'd be fair to point out that the last 2 cups were won by Canuck goalies. Kuemper and Hill! Vegas actually had 3 Canuck goalies going in Hill, Broissoit and Thompson.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Thought it'd be fair to point out that the last 2 cups were won by Canuck goalies. Kuemper and Hill! Vegas actually had 3 Canuck goalies going in Hill, Broissoit and Thompson.
And in neither case was the goaltending the lynchpin of the team. Kuemper played well and Hill was very good, but they weren't the reason the clubs won.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
And in neither case was the goaltending the lynchpin of the team. Kuemper played well and Hill was very good, but they weren't the reason the clubs won.
Also fair! Curious how they both do next year. I actually have no idea what happens to Hill.. overpay, trade, backup to Thompson. Thompson and LTIR Lehner are currently signed. Everyone else is UFA or RFA.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Also fair! Curious how they both do next year. I actually have no idea what happens to Hill.. overpay, trade, backup to Thompson. Thompson and LTIR Lehner are currently signed. Everyone else is UFA or RFA.
All I know is that Darcy Kuemper went from winning the world championship to winning the Stanley Cup and Samuel Montembault now has that path to follow. Go Habs.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
In the case of goaltending, yes Canada does not have elite goaltending compared to the US, Sweden or Russia, it doesn’t even compare to our options we had 10 years ago. But 2 Canadian goalies have won the last 2 cups. We’ve been in all but one gold medal final at the Worlds since 2015 and we’ve won 4 golds with adequate goaltending (Kuemper won gold in 2021 and then won the Cup next year in 2022). We will pick the best options in net for the time and they will be guarded by a Canadian defense and forward group that will be very much better than their NHL club in a best v best. I think we’ll be okay come that time but it’s certainly seen better days in net here

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Thats not proofs... and beside it was EU not all European states are member of EU! and i can tell you my sportclub dont recive any founds from the government...
A lot of Swedish sports clubs receive public funding, and a lot of facilities are communally operated. Government funding to sports clubs has been roughly around 150 million US dollars annually in recent years. But for example in Finland the same number is only around 4 million dollars annually, meaning that only some 5 % of the funding of sports clubs there comes from the government.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Breaking News!!!

1686768904015.png

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Last 2 Stanley Cups - Canuck
Last Skoda - Canuck
Last World Jr's - Canuck
Last best on best - Canuck

I do think Canada has never been worse in the position but it's kind of funny that it's not at all affecting them!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad