What is Tyler Johnson's Potential?

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I don't think Tampa is going to let him go though
Drouin, Stamkos, Kucherov, Palat, Johnson, Hedman, Bishop, Filppula, Callahan etc. Are all going to take up a lot of salary. I'd say they'll have to let go of at least 2, if not 3. You could argue Filppula, okay, but Callahan I think will stay for leadership purposes, and Stammer isn't going anywhere.
In 3 years this team will be cap-strapped if they do nothing, and you never know what may happen then. Just a thought.

Microsens

Jul 18, 2014
Riley%20McCormick%20Finals.jpg

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Drouin, Stamkos, Kucherov, Palat, Johnson, Hedman, Bishop, Filppula, Callahan etc. Are all going to take up a lot of salary. I'd say they'll have to let go of at least 2, if not 3. You could argue Filppula, okay, but Callahan I think will stay for leadership purposes, and Stammer isn't going anywhere.
In 3 years this team will be cap-strapped if they do nothing, and you never know what may happen then. Just a thought.

If Filppula is in the way of Johnson, he's gone. Full stop. Callahan is only fully protected against trades for the next three years, so if his cap hit is a liability he's gone, too. If Vasya is ready to take the next step in the next two years, Bishop is gone, as well. I'd guess if any of the other guys you listed has to go it will be Palat, and that's only because he doesn't appear to have elite potential at any one thing in particular (just really good at about everything).

Nomahe

Apr 25, 2015
I don't think you can say he's reached his ceiling yet unless he wins the Conn Smythe this year.

He plays smart enough now that I think he'll benefit from experience and maturation. Knowledge and confidence still have room to grow, he can be better.

Oh ok. Now I understand what was meant. I stand by my first reply that he is a fricken beast though.

If, and hopefully Tampa does win the Cup, I see it's because of Johnson.

He's a stud that brings it when it matters. Nothing but respect from this Wings fan.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
I would expect him to put up seasons like this one for a long time.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
A Briere type center. Not going to put up 95pts because of the change in league scoring, but very similar skill sets and motors.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
A Briere type center. Not going to put up 95pts because of the change in league scoring, but very similar skill sets and motors.

I like the comparison. Seems to be Briere-like in the playoffs as well so far. Much better defensively though.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The interesting thing about him is that he passes the "eye test" with flying colours - he's crazy dynamic and exciting out there, so fast and dangerous whenever he touches the puck, and always involved in the play. Normally the players who get passed over have a more subtly good, harder to notice game, but Johnson stands out immediately. Really, really good player, a star already, and I expect him to continue to be one.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Started really paying attention to him during playoffs and he's amazing. Always seems dangerous with the puck and has the vision to make some unbelievable passes. When he gets wheeling wide, he's almost impossible to stop. Top 5 favorite players to watch in the league for me easily

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
The more I watch him the more I think his potential is a perennial top 5 scorer.

There is just so much talent these days, I hardly see him being a top 5 scorer.

On the other hand, he's someone I see being a lot more valuable than other producers. I'm loving his play away from the puck and against the boards.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
If Filppula is in the way of Johnson, he's gone. Full stop. Callahan is only fully protected against trades for the next three years, so if his cap hit is a liability he's gone, too. If Vasya is ready to take the next step in the next two years, Bishop is gone, as well. I'd guess if any of the other guys you listed has to go it will be Palat, and that's only because he doesn't appear to have elite potential at any one thing in particular (just really good at about everything).

Now already our own guys forget about Dr. Drej? Trust me if Yzerman is even half as good as he seems to be, Palat will not go anywhere.

He is part of the reason Johnson is that good. When Johnson was injured for a few games and replaced by Namestnikov this season, the whole line did not miss a beat and produced just like with Johnson in the middle. Palat was out a few games and Johnson and Kucherov did not score anything.
Let alone his exceptional defensive game. Whoever has played with him got on a "hot streak".

I rather trade Kucherov or Drouin depending on if he becomes the next Kane within his ELC or "just a playymaking first liner". Offensive production is much much easier to replace then what Palat brings to this team. For me he is right up there with Johnson in terms of "do not trade ever"

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Johnson's ceiling is tricky. I definitely thought, last year, he was a player who came to the NHL fully formed. A north-south shooter with great wheels. But then he came into this season with a vastly improved skillset. So I'm not about to doubt that he has another gear above this one that he'll find in the next year or two.

He's gotten better year after year after year going all the way back to his junior days, so I'm not so sure I'd bet on that stopping just yet.

Sweet Chilly Heat

Dec 10, 2013
Boy did Tampa hit the lotto on this undrafted kid.

BTW, how did they get him, did they sign him out of the WHL? Or did he attend their prospect camp and they liked him? How did it go down.

Does he have star potential? 1st line potential, or a really good 2nd liner potential?

I think this year was the top of his potential, Tampa would kill for another 10 years like this.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You also have to consider how bad Tampa Bay's power play was all year, and how little Johnson played on it (until near the end). He wound up third in even strength scoring, league-wide. If he can add some PP points to those totals...

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
This guy looks like Kyle Wellwood, and he plays like a more feistier Kyle Wellwood. Every time i look at him, i think, this is how good Kyle Wellwood would have been if he was more aggressive in his play.

JMcAuley

Nov 3, 2014
Johnson hasn't ever really stopped getting better. Year in and year out he's gotten better and better. I don't know if he will get any better then he is now. I do think his pace is sustainable though. He's been a winner wherever he has gone. So skilled, and so smart. I think his point totals will depend on how he is used. If he was given a bit more power play time (like he has been during these playoffs) and was put on the penalty kill a bit less he could end up in art ross range (top 5 in scoring). I like that he plays on the penalty kill though and is good playing in all zones. I would say he is on the fringe of being elite. It may be a little early to call him elite but I do think he had an elite season. If he replicates the season he just had (or leads tampa to a cup) then he needs to be considered with the elite.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
This guy looks like Kyle Wellwood, and he plays like a more feistier Kyle Wellwood. Every time i look at him, i think, this is how good Kyle Wellwood would have been if he was more aggressive in his play.

It's almost like he's a man possessed out there.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
70 to 80 point, two way center. Pretty much is there already. He reminds me of a small version of Towes. Just ****ing stupid talented. Glad the Bolts signed him. Without him we would be in a world of hurt I think.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
His ceiling is a version of MSL that plays center and has a strong two-way game. I see a lot of similarities in terms of offensive style, but Johnson is a little thief in his own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->