What is Tyler Johnson's Potential?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Boy did Tampa hit the lotto on this undrafted kid.

BTW, how did they get him, did they sign him out of the WHL? Or did he attend their prospect camp and they liked him? How did it go down.

Does he have star potential? 1st line potential, or a really good 2nd liner potential?

ZeroPT*

Yeah his potential is what he is now for the next decade.

Which scares the **** out of me as a Buffalo fan.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah I don't think there's another level at this point, just consistency at the high level he's already at, which is a 70+ pt top liner and an All Star (remember he did get picked, just couldn't play). I could be wrong though. I thought he was overachieving LAST year.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Yeah I don't think there's another level at this point, just consistency at the high level he's already at, which is a 70+ pt top liner and an All Star (remember he did get picked, just couldn't play). I could be wrong though. I thought he was overachieving LAST year.

I don't think consistency will be a problem. Especially if he remains with Kucherov and Ondrej.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
What you see right now is the full potential of Johnson. A solid #1C who scores 70 pts per season while being reliable everywhere on the ice.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I forgot to answer the other question. I think he was invited to two other NHL camps (think the Wild was one?) before trying out with the Lightning and signing with us.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I'm going to be a very small minority here.. But I honestly think that he's going to be the player that once he leaves Tampa Bay, he won't put up nearly as many points as he gets now. Just my POV though.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
He very well may be the best american center in the league at this point. I doubt he had another gear, but even by just maintining his current level he'll turn into a superstar soon enough.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
giroux/st.louis

he'll have years where he leads the league and years where he has 70 points

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I'm going to be a very small minority here.. But I honestly think that he's going to be the player that once he leaves Tampa Bay, he won't put up nearly as many points as he gets now. Just my POV though.

Yes, you generally expect players to be less productive once they hit their 30s :sarcasm:

Boy did Tampa hit the lotto on this undrafted kid.

BTW, how did they get him, did they sign him out of the WHL? Or did he attend their prospect camp and they liked him? How did it go down.

Does he have star potential? 1st line potential, or a really good 2nd liner potential?

I believe Al Murray was on to him before he was even hired into the Lightning organization. He attended camps for several other teams (I believe the Leafs and perhaps the Wild and Red Wings as well, but don't quote me on it).

EDIT: Good read at http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...tning-tyler-johnson-standing-tall-rookie-race

The Article said:
The 23-year-old Tampa Bay Lightning center, as of Wednesday morning, was just one point off the rookie scoring lead, his entry into the Calder Trophy debate as unforeseen as anything. But then again, once you see him play, you're not surprised at all.

Which raises the question, other than his size, what else could he have done to impress scouts during his junior years?

"I don't know what more he could have done," Tampa's head amateur scout, Al Murray, told ESPN.com this week. "In fact, there's nothing more he could have done."

"You have to credit Al, he recommended that we sign him," Tampa GM Steve Yzerman said. "[Murray] really felt that with his skating and strength, [Johnson] could do it at the NHL level."

Murray was keeping an eye on Johnson for a few years while head scout for Hockey Canada. Johnson was American but Murray kept noticing him at games and events where he was scouting Canadian players.

Last edited:

Comic Book Guy*

1st liner, MSL production at his peak.

This guy is this generations next best hobbit.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
This guy is so good. He's been in my top 5 favourite players all year. First fell in love with his play about a year and a half ago live at a game. I've been pumping his tires ever since. One thing though, never did I expect him to get THIS good. And at this rate, he might even breach my top 3 - replacing Price or Couture.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
I don't think you can say he's reached his ceiling yet unless he wins the Conn Smythe this year.

He plays smart enough now that I think he'll benefit from experience and maturation. Knowledge and confidence still have room to grow, he can be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad