What is the shortest time anyone held a NHL record?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
With the offensive explosion in the NFL there have been lots of records that have fallen quickly but that one is for the books. Not sure the NHL has had this. Certainly not that quickly but I can think of some ones off the top of my head that were quick.

Not that it was a memorable record but Bernie Federko had the record of 10 straight seasons with at least 50 assists up until 1988. Gretzky tied it the next year, then broke it the year after that and overall owns that record at 13 straight.

I am sure there are other season to season records too.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
I was thinking that it might involve some player setting a record and then extending it later in the same game. Then again, he hasn't been deposed as record holder, rather just the number had changed. Gretzky kept breaking his own record the year he scored 80, 81, 82 ... 92 goals, and that's not very interesting from this perspective.

You'd have to find a situation wherein two players were chasing a record and both managed to break it while they were still close.

Like, say, Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa in baseball, 1998. The National League record for home runs was 56, and both of them passed that mark rather easily. I think that Sosa made it to 60 a day or so before McGwire did, though the latter would go to 70 on the season. So, Sammy held that record just some hours, and they swapped the Major League record of 61 once or twice. (Unless a seasonal record doesn't count until the season is complete, which is a reasonable argument).

I recall that Bernie Geoffrion and Frank Mahovlich challenged Maurice Richard's record of 50 goals the same season, in 1960-61. However, although Geoff got to 50, Frank came up short, so Mahovlich never held the record.

You'd have to find some situation like that.

I'd guess that something like penalty minutes per game might have been set multiple times on the same night, when there was a lot of fighting.

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
Dave Ritchie held the NHL career goals and most goals in a single game record until Harry Cameron broke both about 6 mins 20 sec later.

Reactions: rfournier103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad