Speculation: What is the Red Wings Firesale Going To Look Like?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
:laugh: :laugh: Wings are nowhere close to a firesale, Team is getting much younger. And those bad contract will eventually fall off when we're ready to compete within 5 years or so.

Detroit really needs to hit on Jack Hughes or have someone just take off in their development at C. If Larkin is still the best Center in the organization in 3-4 years I dont know how much competing will do beyond one of the lower playoff spots.

I also gauge this under the premise I dont see AA being there long term either. Detroit just badly needs a 1C

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
It’s been talked about time and time again. There situation is very simple. Trade guys at the deadline once they have actually value, wait for awful contracts to fall off, sign low term free agents once they have money. In three or four seasons they will have only a few bad contracts and a lot of youth ready to break through.

No need for a fire sale because the only assets they want to move either don’t have value or they can be traded at the deadline.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Detroit really needs to hit on Jack Hughes or have someone just take off in their development at C. If Larkin is still the best Center in the organization in 3-4 years I dont know how much competing will do beyond one of the lower playoff spots.

I also gauge this under the premise I dont see AA being there long term either. Detroit just badly needs a 1C
Couldn't agree more Detroit definitely needs to hit on the Jack Hughes sweepstakes, They're pretty much doing their part. As badly as they're playing right now. We Wings fans really hope that Joe Veleno becomes a solid #2/#3C but i definitely agree we need Hughes. If not Hughes one of Kakko or Cozens would be sweet as well. But we definitely need a #1C impact player and Hughes would be the grand prize.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
when they embrace the full rebuild it could be interesting

I think one contract they would love to move but wont without eating 50% is Nielson

Vanek moved at the deadline for picks

on D they need guys who can play--so unless they trade for replacements I do not see them moving any D

Helm and Justin A could be moved

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Done i'd definitely do Caleb Jones+Matt Benning for Andreas Athanasiou, Need to get Holland to fax the paper work to Peter Chiarelli.

Maybe i'm overrating AA but Matt Benning has been hot garbage this year and our forwards outside of McDavid, RNH and Draisaitl suck. They cant score.
Jones is a good one but Benning is a run of the mill bottom pairing guy.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Those no trades / no movement clauses on defense are going to make it tough.

Kronwall - 10 team trade list
Ericsson -19 team NO trade list
Daley - Full NTC until 10 days before deadline this year, then 15 team NO trade list
Green - NTC until Feb 1, 2020, then 10 team NO trade list
Dekeyser - NTC until 2021, then a 10 team NO trade list

-Not to mention the 5 no trade/no movement clauses up front too. This team is locked into a lot of contracts that are tough to move for assets just because of how restrictive they are.

They have some good specs and a tonne of picks coming up but there isn't much more to add unless a bunch of these guys waive.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs pursue Kronwall.

Babs obviously had him in Detroit for a long time so likely has a soft spot for him. The Leafs depleted their "system" of forwards a little bit over the last couple of years with graduations and trades, but if Nylander comes back into the fold, then that will likely free up a roster forward.

Please. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. He's too slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

The Wings are in a tough spot. The guys they wanna keep are really the only guys everyone will be asking about. AA and Howard might be the exception. The rest of the players have burdensome contracts. Someone else already mentioned take whatever you can get. Holland finally exposed. rode the tails of Jimmy D for a long time.

I like my Wings. FRIED.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Available to trade: Nyquist, maybe AA
Not available: Larkin, Mantha, cholo, Bertuzzi, Ras
Available but no one wants: The entire rest of the team

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The biggest decision Detroit will have to make in the near future is whether to use their compliance buyout on Abdelkader or Nielsen.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I'm going to snip the hell out of this:

Trade:

Nyquist - should be able to acquire a 2nd at the least. - Cool, we'll take it.
Vanek - maybe a 3rd - NTC
Witkowski- get anything (if you can) - The LEAST of the Wings worries contract-wise
Kronwall- maybe a 2nd , maybe a little more/less, I dunno. Just get a pick. - Will retire a Wing, hopefully after this season -- and that's fine, he's earned it.
Jensen - get whatever you can , maybe a 4th/5th - Cool, but he's been a lot better this year, take it or leave it. Good depth guy
Howard- I dunno what his market would be , but get whatever you can. - Cool, UFA after this year, get something for him

[snip]

The second thing you do is look at the players you have with term on ...shall we say, less than ideal contracts. They would be:

-Frans Nielsen 4x 5.25m (gross) - Paid market value for a need at the time, not really much chance of getting rid of him
- Abdelkader 5x 4.25m (oh boy) - Yeah, not great
- Darren Helm 3x 3.85m (not great) - Meh, probably not going anywhere under current management
- Glendening 3x 1.8m (livable) - Absolutely fine, probably not going anywhere under current management
- Ericsson 2x 4.25m (only 2 years , but bleh) - Bad now, yes, but he'll play out his contract and then probably retire
- Trevor Daley 2x 3.16 (no.. just no) - He's the 2nd best veteran defenseman the Wings have, and he's not nearly as bad as people make him out to be. This one is fine
- Bernier 3x 3.00m (get rid of it , while/if you still can) - Meh for a backup, great for a starter (lol)
- Mike Green 2x 5.375m (needs to play to rehabilitate his value, probably a 2020 trade option) - Absolutely fine, wouldn't change this one
- DeKeyser 4x5.00m (puke) - He's slightly overpaid, but not terribly; he's just playing over his head on an otherwise defensively bad team

[snip]

Now, we're left with good trade chips , or pieces I'd consider moving forward with

Frk - I dunno , just tender him for another year. No harm/no foul. - Waiver fodder. Again.
Hicketts- tender him - He needs to be traded/waived. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but I don't think he's cut out for the NHL in the long run. Sulak, Saarijarvi, and Hronek are already on a better track, and there are a few more coming; no need to use the roster spot.

(all others are kept for their current contracts)

Not that my opinion matters at all, but yeah.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Something around Ethan Bear or Caleb Jones? With Bouchard now in the fold I could see one shaking loose.

Caleb Jones + Matt Benning for Athanasiou?

For AA, I would hope the Leafs would beat that offer.
Borgman/Rosen + Timashov/3rd round pick.

Id like to put him on Kadris wing, with Kappanen on the other side.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Nyquist, Howard, Green.

Yeah, they have NTCs, but you better believe those guys are going to be all smiles for a trade and a playoff run after half a season of this garbage.

You talking about the same Mike Green who blocked a trade to Toronto last year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->