Speculation: What is the Red Wings Firesale Going To Look Like?

Conor Edwards

Oct 22, 2018
Detroit, MI
We can all see the writing on the wall; the Red Wings have no choice but to tank this year. After an abysmal start to the season, losing 8 of 9, having an old, sluggish, and injury-ridden defense, and having two equally bad sieves in net, what else can these Wings accomplish?

There are quite a few moves that Kenny Holland has done to put himself in a good spot to retire or move on, since his contract expires at the end of this season (Ironically, the same time Steve Yzerman, who is under contract with the Lightning, also is free. Coincidence?). Let's step back and take a look at the moves that KH has pulled together.

1. Locked Up Mantha and Larkin: Anthony Mantha and Dylan Larkin are arguably the top players for the Wings in terms of pedigree. 1st Round picks in consecutive drafts, The U of M standout and the Val-d'Or Foreurs legend lived up to their perspective roles quickly, as many see Larkin, and in a lesser light, Mantha, as the franchise faces of the Wings. Larkin is locked up in a 5-year, $6,100,000-a year deal, while Mantha is in a 2-year, $3,300,000-per year deal until the 2020-21 season, at which he becomes a free agent.
  2. Fresh Bait? The curious moves in the off-season to re-sign Mike Green, and to sign free-agents Thomas Vanek and Jonathan Bernier, puzzled many Red Wing fans. These men, however, have been signed to relatively easy contracts, and Bernier is a piece many teams would like to have for a playoff-run. The addition of Jason De La Rose just a week ago off of Montreal's waivers is yet another piece in what could result in a trade.
These two moves point to some pretty exciting things, come trade deadline.

• Mantha has no no-trade clause, and it has been reported that he is unhappy with coach Jeff Blashill. Mantha is a 2nd line winger who would be happy to be placed on a team that gives him time on the ice.
  • Alt. Captain Frans Nielsen has waived his no-trade clause down to a 10 team no-trade list. This makes it easier for him to be dealt. A 3rd line winger, Nielsen has lost a step or two, and a team would be happy to give him a spot as a depth or a healthy scratch. The issue lies with his contract, one of the albatrosses of the league at $5,250,000-a year until he is 38.
  • Players Nick Jensen, a depth defenseman, and Jonathan Ericsson, an old ace, have either waived their clauses or updated them (19 teams cannot offer anything for Ericsson).
Detroit, looking to finish last in the standings and hopefully last in the lottery, is hoping to have an eventful season when it comes to the trade block.

Reactions: BHD

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Can't predict what they'll get, but I think the turn around might be a bit faster than they expect. A bottom out year potentially getting Hughes/Kakko to go with who they drafted last year? I like that prospect for the future.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Can we not call being terrible tanking. Nyquist is the likeliest to be moved this year. The Wings can probably get at least a 2nd round pick for him. Jensen might also be on the move for cheap depth for maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick at the deadline. Vanek will of course be made available if anyone is interested in him. Unless some teams goalie situation goes to shit, Howard is probably not being moved. I doubt Kronwall gets moved, likely only happens if he asks for one last shot at a cup.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Kings fire sale gonna be better.

Come here instead for old vets with playoff experience. :thumbu:

Conor Edwards

Oct 22, 2018
Detroit, MI
Can we not call being terrible tanking. Nyquist is the likeliest to be moved this year. The Wings can probably get at least a 2nd round pick for him. Jensen might also be on the move for cheap depth for maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick at the deadline. Vanek will of course be made available if anyone is interested in him. Unless some teams goalie situation goes to ****, Howard is probably not being moved. I doubt Kronwall gets moved, likely only happens if he asks for one last shot at a cup.
Nyquist has to waive his no-trade clause first.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I'm not sure they're tanking. Tanking is planned and I don't think their performance this season was planned.

Re: Firesale. I don't know about any other deals but a solid approach for non playoff teams at the trade deadlines is to move pending UFAs for futures. Who are the Wings' pending UFAs?

Reactions: RedMenace

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Nyquist is probably the best asset to move at the deadline, followed by Daley. Vanek will likely be traded, but seems like he never really fetches much...

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Holland is here for 2 years not till the end of this year, we don't know for sure yet Stevie is coming back to run the team we hope so. Gus maybe Howard will be the only trades this year. We have 24 mill coming off the book's at the end of the year. We did lock up Larkin, Mantha, AA in the off season. No one want's any of the other players we have.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
They can't really get rid of their desirable assets since they are all young and good. The rest of the team is pretty bad.

I bet they don't firesale much. They will let contracts expire and tank for a season, maybe two, and see where it goes.

Reactions: RedMenace

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Just went over to Capfriendly to take a look at the situation.

1) I was surprised to see they only have 3+ million of space. So , that definitely needs to be improved upon.

2) They only have 1 extra pick in the top 2 rounds in the next 3 years. That also needs to be improved upon.

3) There's a lot of overpaid role players with term

4) There's an insane amount of NTC's

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First things first , you should be looking to dump any expiring contracts. They're the easiest to move , and the quickest way to gain cap space/draft picks.

Trade:

Nyquist - should be able to acquire a 2nd at the least.
Vanek - maybe a 3rd
Witkowski- get anything (if you can)
Kronwall- maybe a 2nd , maybe a little more/less, I dunno. Just get a pick.
Jensen - get whatever you can , maybe a 4th/5th
Howard- I dunno what his market would be , but get whatever you can.

What I would advise to Holland is to pretty much not accept other team's prospects. Just take picks back. Prospects that are actually noteworthy typically come from trading marquee players. These are not marquee players , so teams will definitely try to avoid trading picks by selling you on one of their 'B' level prospects. Don't even bother , just take picks.

Also , it should be noted that three of these players have NTC's (for some reason) , so acquiring full value might not be easy or even possible.

Either way, their combined contracts add up to 19 million off the books. Just get rid of them and get some damn picks.

------------------------
The second thing you do is look at the players you have with term on ...shall we say, less than ideal contracts. They would be:

-Frans Nielsen 4x 5.25m (gross)
- Abdelkader 5x 4.25m (oh boy)
- Darren Helm 3x 3.85m (not great)
- Glendening 3x 1.8m (livable)
- Ericsson 2x 4.25m (only 2 years , but bleh)
- Trevor Daley 2x 3.16 (no.. just no)
- Bernier 3x 3.00m (get rid of it , while/if you still can)
- Mike Green 2x 5.375m (needs to play to rehabilitate his value, probably a 2020 trade option)
- DeKeyser 4x5.00m (puke)

These contracts total around 36 million of what I'd consider bad money. For the 2 year deals , it might just be best to wait until they're expiring deals. For the 3's (Bernier, Glendening, Helm) it might be wise to move them asap , but it's not crucial , imo. And for Nielsen, Abdelkader and DeKeyser ... I dunno what you can do. Even if Holland retains (which I wouldn't advise) , I'm not sure who would want those deals.

Either way, you need to reach the basement annually , and although these contracts are total crap for the most part , they help you accomplish that without damaging your tank. Simply put, if you can get something for these players , and it doesn't involve taking back significant term or crap contracts , then you move them asap.

Also, it should be noted , that once again, there's an unreasonable amount of NTC's. 7 of the 9 players have NTC's in fact. Just absurd.

------------------------------------------------

Now, we're left with good trade chips , or pieces I'd consider moving forward with

Larkin- untouchable
Mantha- 2 years left. I know you said he might be a trade candidate , but unless you have to , you don't move him, imo.
Athanasiou- 2 years left. I'd keep him until he's got a year left. Decide to trade/re-sign him then.
Bertuzzi - 2 years . Keep him
Frk - I dunno , just tender him for another year. No harm/no foul.
De La Rose - keep him , see if something happens
Rasmussen- keeper
Cholowski- keeper
Hicketts- tender him

-------------------------------------------------

Sadly, if we're being brutally honest , there's not any trade pieces that would truly expedite the process.

Mantha and Athanasiou are your best trade pieces , and I'd just keep them unless something crazy becomes available. Clear cap , get picks , draft/develop and fix your books.

Next summer , sign a bunch of dudes on 1 year deals to fill holes , and repeat the process.

-------------------------------------------------

And finally, after taking the time to truly look at Detroit's situation, I'd do everything I can to get Yzerman to run this team. It ain't pretty. Cross your fingers for Hughes.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs pursue Kronwall.

Babs obviously had him in Detroit for a long time so likely has a soft spot for him. The Leafs depleted their "system" of forwards a little bit over the last couple of years with graduations and trades, but if Nylander comes back into the fold, then that will likely free up a roster forward.

Jimclar

Oct 4, 2018
Hardly a fire sale. Even at TDL, there really aren't that many trades. Most Wings available players either aren't good enough for teams to want or their cap/term is too much for a team to take. The return for virtually all Wings players would be minimal.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs pursue Kronwall.

Babs obviously had him in Detroit for a long time so likely has a soft spot for him. The Leafs depleted their "system" of forwards a little bit over the last couple of years with graduations and trades, but if Nylander comes back into the fold, then that will likely free up a roster forward.
This isn't the first time I've seen Kronwall to the Leafs as a suggestion. What exactly do Leaf fans expect out of Kronwall? His knees are shot and can't skate anymore. By all means take him though. It leaves a spot for one of our kids.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
doubt Holland trades AA for another winger
I think a right handed winger is an underrated need for us. We have Vanek and Frk who probably won't be in the org for more than a year or 2, and then we have some very meh prospects. All of our good younger players/prospects are left handed.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Frans Nielsen is immovable. Even at 50% nobody wants to hold on to his declining play for that much term remaining AND pay something to acquire him.

Coming off a 33 point year and a 3 year decline at 34, he looks to be 3/4C at this point. Nobody will sign up for 4 more years at $2.6 mil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad