What is the offside rule in the NHL?

Where does a players foot have to be for a play to be onside when entering the offensive zone?

• Total voters

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
There's currently a debate about whether a players skate needs to be behind the blue line or if it can be on the blue line when entering the offensive zone. I know the rule but I'm being told it's unclear and even the players don't know the correct rule.

So what is it, can a players foot be on the blue line as the puck enters the offensive zone or does his entire foot have to be in the "white" part of the neutral zone?

I'm being told that players think they have to be outside of the blue line and don't know if they are allowed to touch the blue line or not.

Last edited:

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I honestly don't remember exactly, but my understanding is that some part of the player (usually skate) needs to have not crossed the blue line fully before the puck.

Another note is that if the player has control of the puck, they can cross the line before the puck (like if they're skating backwards or whatever)

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I honestly don't remember exactly, but my understanding is that some part of the player (usually skate) needs to have not crossed the blue line fully before the puck.

Another note is that if the player has control of the puck, they can cross the line before the puck (like if they're skating backwards or whatever)
Players can bring the puck in behind them if they have control but the discussion was about where their skates or teammates skates need to be.

It's now shifted to the poster saying the players in the NHL don't know if they need to be in the white of the neutral zone or if they can be on the blue line.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Option 1, it's a confusing rule though. Something the NHL has to look at fixing IMO.
Can I ask what you find confusing about the rule? Genuinely curious because I feel like it's pretty clear but obviously not everyone agrees.

Rule 83 –Off-side 83.1
Off-side
- Players of the attacking team must not precede the puck into the attacking zone.
The position of the player’s skates and not that of his stick shall be the determining factor in all instances in deciding an off-side. A player is off-side when both skates are completely over the leading edge of the blue line involved in the play.
A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with, or on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses the leading edge of the blue line regardless of the position of his stick. However, a player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the puck shall not be considered “off-side,” provided he had possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the blue line.

Reactions: JBeast and 2Pair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad