What is the NHL readiness of the players in the draft this year?

acr*

Couldn't find a topic about this yet, so sorry if it's been asked already.

My question is, regarding players who are going to be taken in the 1st round this year(more specifically the projected top ten or so), who is ready to step in and play on an NHL roster right away, and who is going to need time to develop, and does it depend on the rosters of the teams they're picked by?

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
I would doubt if any of the players are going to step in right away, but there is always the chances of random guys playing right away (Bergeron..)

NYR fan 2

Aug 5, 2005
New Jersey
Do you think Eric Johnson has a shot? I have never seen him play or anything but I'm thinking a big defenseman has a shot, especially on a bad team.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
NYR fan 2 said:
Do you think Eric Johnson has a shot? I have never seen him play or anything but I'm thinking a big defenseman has a shot, especially on a bad team.

No. In general, defensemen take longer than forwards, and I don't see EJ as being any different.

One guy who I think might surprise and be ready is Backstrom. I don't think he'll actually play in the NHL for various reasons, but I think he might be capable of it.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
toews and kessell would be my 2, but i think with them being in college, neither will be called up. i think there are a lot of factors for not bringing guys in right away, and more now than ever. contracts, free agent year, etc, etc

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
DaveyCrockett said:
I'd say Kessel. Some player drafted after the top-10 will end up having a huge camp and make the NHL right away.

That player might very well be Peter Mueller. The kid is absolutely built for the pros.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad