Proposal: What is the Leafs plan once Hyman and Dermott come off LTIR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
One important caveat: The team has to play at least one game shorthanded before an emergency recall is allowed.

Yep. But that is Most common during the game. It happens all the time. Players leave the game due to injury

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
That you can call unlimited emergency recalls up throughout the season for no extra cap without using LTIR if you go under 20 healthy players.

That’s why they gave all these 1 way contracts. So that the players are less likely to be claimed on waivers.

Now players like Aberg etc are stashed in case of injury. Without going through waivers or counting against the cap.

At least according to bobby Mack

It is technically "limited". The emergency exemption "limits" teams to recalling players that have a cap hit equal to or less than $100,000 over league minimum, which for this season would be $800,000. Means the Leafs wouldn't be able to recall Korshkov, Engvall, Robertson, Bracco, Sandin, Liljegren or Scott unless someone goes on LTIR, or they send down another player to open up cap.

IIRC, it's also not just 20 healthy players, you can emergency recall if you have less than 2G, 6D or 12F.

One important caveat: The team has to play at least one game shorthanded before an emergency recall is allowed.

No. The Red Wings used a bunch of emergency recalls at the end of the last three seasons and never had to play shorthanded to use it.

As long as the team doesn't reach 2G, 6D or 12F, the player can stay up on ER.

The team has to report which player is banged up to necessitate ER. Once that player is back in the line-up, the ER player must go down AFTER that game.

Here's a weird example I always remember: 2012-13 Red Wings, late in the season they had 12 "healthy" skaters. Told the league that Zetterberg was banged up which could take them to 11 if he doesn't play. Called up Sheahan on ER. At game time, they dressed both Sheahan and Zetterberg and made Tootoo a healthy scratch. Sheahan had to go back down the next day.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Micheyev - - Kerfoot - - Kapanen
Tymashov - - Gauthier - - Moore

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Barrie
Sandin - - - Ceci

Reactions: Julio Jones

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If I was the coach I would wait till Hyman is ready, then when we are playing a bad team run 11 fwds and 6D. Load up pn ice time for the top 2 lines to pad stats and then get my exemption.

Question: Does the team have to play 1 game shorthanded every time they need to use the exemption?

You can’t voluntarily dress 19 without an injury causing it and then you’re good for emergency recalls when they happen. The game proceeding you calling them up would have to be played a man short by necessity and then you can use the emergency recall of an 800k player or less until you’re back to 20 healthy players without emergency. Then the next time you have to do it all over again

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
It is technically "limited". The emergency exemption "limits" teams to recalling players that have a cap hit equal to or less than $100,000 over league minimum, which for this season would be $800,000. Means the Leafs wouldn't be able to recall Korshkov, Engvall, Robertson, Bracco, Sandin, Liljegren or Scott unless someone goes on LTIR, or they send down another player to open up cap.

IIRC, it's also not just 20 healthy players, you can emergency recall if you have less than 2G, 6D or 12F.

No. The Red Wings used a bunch of emergency recalls at the end of last season and never had to play shorthanded to use it.

As long as the team doesn't reach 18 healthy skaters, 2G, 6D or 12F, the player can stay up on ER.

The team has to report which player is banged up to necessitate ER. Once that player is back in the line-up, the ER player must go down AFTER that game.

Here's a weird example I always remember: 2012-13 Red Wings, late in the season they had 12 "healthy" skaters. Told the league that Zetterberg was banged up which could take them to 11 if he doesn't play. Called up Sheahan on ER. At game time, they dressed both Sheahan and Zetterberg and made Tootoo a healthy scratch. Sheahan had to go back down the next day.

Are you sure, because the CBA says otherwise. There’s a difference between being unable to recall based on cap space, and the post deadline 4 recall limit emergency situations. You don’t need to wait a game for a post deadline emergency recall if you have the cap for that player. Leafs seem to do that every year. The CBA says you have to play 1 game short if you don’t have the cap required. I would assume goalies would be an exception though.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
As for the thread we can fit a 21 man roster. I believe with Sandin on the roster that wouldn’t have been possible however. I wonder if that factored at all into the decision to send him down. I doubt it was a major factor, but something on the pro side of demoting him.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Are you sure, because the CBA says otherwise. There’s a difference between being unable to recall based on cap space, and the post deadline 4 recall limit emergency situations. You don’t need to wait a game for a post deadline emergency recall if you have the cap for that player. Leafs seem to do that every year. The CBA says you have to play 1 game short if you don’t have the cap required. I would assume goalies would be an exception though.

Teams can always sign a goalie to a 1-day contract.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
No. The Red Wings used a bunch of emergency recalls at the end of the last three seasons and never had to play shorthanded to use it.

As long as the team doesn't reach 2G, 6D or 12F, the player can stay up on ER.

I think you may be mixing up Emergency Recall and the Roster Emergency Exception.

Emergency Recall allows teams to recall players from the minors after the trade deadline, but the cap rules still have to be followed. Teams can even recall a player from juniors. There are other special rules covering emergency recalls such as not counting towards waivers.

The Roster Emergency Exception allows a team to recall a player even if they don't have the cap space.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
The rule is 18 skaters and 2 goaltenders. Doesn't differentiate between forwards and Dmen.

CBA lists it as such:

(ii) Emergency conditions shall be established when the playing strength of the Loaning Club, by reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by League suspension to its Players is reduced below the level of two (2) goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof of the existence of the emergency conditions including the incapacity shall be furnished to the Commissioner of the League upon request made by him.

I remember this being confirmed after the trade deadline either last year or the year before when the Red Wings used ER to call up a forward under emergency despite having Luke Witkowski (who played both F and D) available (and subsequently a healthy scratch).

Also, disregard what I said before about the playing a game shorthanded. Thought you were talking about emergency recall in general. However, you are correct in terms of the emergency recall cap exemption.

And this is for standard emergency recall, not the cap exemption ER...

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
For completeness, here's the Roster Emergency Exception section:

50.10(e) Roster Emergency Exception. In the event that (i) a Club has Payroll Room less than the sum of the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and $100,000 (i.e., that Club's Averaged Club Salary is greater than the Upper Limit minus the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary minus $100,000); (ii) a Player on such Club becomes unfit or unable to play (i.e., is injured, ill or disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player) or is suspended; (iii) such Club is unable to sign and/or Recall a Player with an Averaged Amount equal to the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary plus $100,000 under the Bona Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception; (iv) as a result of such Player being unfit or unable to play or suspended and the Club having Payroll Room less than the sum of the Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and $100,000, the Club has fewer than eighteen (18) skaters and two (2) goalies ("18 and 2") on its Playing Roster (pursuant to Section 16.4(c)); and (v) the Club played its previous game with fewer than 18 and 2 (a "Roster Emergency"), then such Club may, beginning with the second game and continuing with all subsequent games and without any charge to the Club's Averaged Club Salary for the duration of such Roster Emergency, add to its Playing Roster the requisite number of "emergency replacement" Player(s), provided, however, that (i) each such Player may not have an Averaged Amount that is more than the then-applicable Minimum Paragraph 1 NHL Salary plus $100,000 (e.g., $625,000 in 2012-13); and (ii) each such Player may only remain on that Club's Active Roster during the period of the "Roster Emergency."

(i) The Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and Bonus of any Player added to the Playing Roster pursuant to this Section shall be included in the Players' Share.

(ii) No Club shall be limited in the number of times it may invoke the Roster Emergency Exception in any League Year, provided that the Exception is at all times invoked in full compliance with this Section 50.10(e).

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

As I noted above, I got the two mixed up. ER when you have the cap space = you don't have to play a game shorthanded. ER when you don't have the cap = you do have to play one game shorthanded.

For a goalie, it's not clear how that would work. I'm assuming dressing a Scott Foster counts as the 1 game played shorthanded?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
That you can call unlimited emergency recalls up throughout the season for no extra cap without using LTIR if you go under 20 healthy players.

That’s why they gave all these 1 way contracts. So that the players are less likely to be claimed on waivers.

Now players like Aberg etc are stashed in case of injury. Without going through waivers or counting against the cap.

At least according to bobby Mack
See how easy that was ?

When you take the time to explain things, it makes for easier understanding.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I think you may be mixing up Emergency Recall and the Roster Emergency Exception.

Emergency Recall allows teams to recall players from the minors after the trade deadline, but the cap rules still have to be followed. Teams can even recall a player from juniors. There are other special rules covering emergency recalls such as not counting towards waivers.

The Roster Emergency Exception allows a team to recall a player even if they don't have the cap space.

Definitely mixed them up. My mistake.

It is interesting how Emergency recall is set as less than 2G, 6D and 12F and the Roster Emergency Exemption is 18 skaters and 2G.

Regular emergency recall can be used prior to the deadline if it's due to a suspension or an injury/illness that's likely not long enough to land a guy on standard IR and the team was at only 2G, 6D, or 12F prior to the "emergency".

====
Back to the topic at hand... It would be odd for the Leafs to try to rely on the Roster Emergency Exemption to fill spots unless they really get slammed with short term injuries. My guess is that they'll rotate their eventual 19th skater between the guys that have cleared waivers (Petan, Gravel, Agostino, etc. etc.) based on need and have the flexibility to send that guy down if they need to make a standard recall for a G, D or F.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Plug - Tavares - Marner
Plug - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Plug - Plug - Plug

That will be the team at the playoffs, and then it will be deadly.

Babcock is gonna split the talent, like he always does.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
i believe dubas will be asking everyone to take a paycut, it will be a true test of his negotiation skills

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Definitely mixed them up. My mistake.

It is interesting how Emergency recall is set as less than 2G, 6D and 12F and the Roster Emergency Exemption is 18 skaters and 2G.

Regular emergency recall can be used prior to the deadline if it's due to a suspension or an injury/illness that's likely not long enough to land a guy on standard IR and the team was at only 2G, 6D, or 12F prior to the "emergency".

====
Back to the topic at hand... It would be odd for the Leafs to try to rely on the Roster Emergency Exemption to fill spots unless they really get slammed with short term injuries. My guess is that they'll rotate their eventual 19th skater between the guys that have cleared waivers (Petan, Gravel, Agostino, etc. etc.) based on need and have the flexibility to send that guy down if they need to make a standard recall for a G, D or F.

Yeah, that's the most likely scenario. They will just have less players in the pressbox. Their AHL team being in the same city also helps with getting a quick replacement if needed, even on a gameday.

Reactions: Menzinger

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Nope.

Simply trying to keep people honest.

You're one of the members who give me the least work. :blush:

But sometimes, you're a bit naive.

Right. You were the the one saying "No way they can sign all 3", then
"No way Tavares goes to the Leafs" then,
"No way they keep everyone now that they got Tavares"

And of course, in all the threads saying how the Leafs were screwed in June before.. They figured it out. This is the least difficult cap navigation in the past few years and you think this is what sinks them?

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I'm assuming there are people in here that have or are going to claim the Leafs are screwed etc etc.

They employ the guy who helped literally wrote the CBA & they knew this was going to be an issue for the entire summer. They have something worked out 100%.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
You were the the one saying "No way they can sign all 3", then
"No way Tavares goes to the Leafs" then,
"No way they keep everyone now that they got Tavares"
I was ?

Any links ?

You might be mistaking me for someone else.

Unless you simply assumed (wrongly) that I was...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad