What is the greatest NHL game of all-time?

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I'd be curious what would get voted the greatest regular season game of all time. From a pure entertainment value. Doesn't have to be one with a lot at stake.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I'd be curious what would get voted the greatest regular season game of all time. From a pure entertainment value. Doesn't have to be one with a lot at stake.
Well, I mentioned one earlier. The Fight Night at the Joe. That was entertaining on many levels. High scoring game. Famous brawl involving multiple Hall of Fame players. I believe it was a nationally televised game as well.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Well, I mentioned one earlier. The Fight Night at the Joe. That was entertaining on many levels. High scoring game. Famous brawl involving multiple Hall of Fame players. I believe it was a nationally televised game as well.

Yes I remember that. And it made the national news too

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
There are lots of great games that happened before my time. One of the best I've seen on replay is Penguins @ Capitals, Game 4 in 1996. Mario gets tossed, Barrasso gets hurt, Wregget save on Joe Juneau penalty shot in double OT, and the game goes until the dying seconds of the 4th OT.

Best game I've seen is Kings @ Hawks, Game 7 in 2014. Two battle born champions go back in forth, with Alex Martinez winning it in overtime. The Kings just wouldn't die in that game.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I’ll go old school.

Game 7 of the 1950 + 1954 Cup Finals

The ultimate in tension and glory and stakes: game 7 OT for the Cup

SlickHands

Apr 11, 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
The Brawl in Hockeytown. Being in my teens at the time, and suffering through the early years of the Russian Five and that era, it was the most hyped I've been after a game.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
there is no debate here at all, quite clearly it is the 94 ECF game 7...nothing else even remotely compares

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
Mine be '71 Playoffs. Canadiens score 5 in third period for dramatic comeback against Bobby Orr and the Big, Bad Bruins

Same series, but I'd probably go w/ Game 7. Dryden derailed a potential dynasty w/ a legend making performance..

Spirit of McMullen

3 since 82
Apr 19, 2018

From a NJD fan standpoint and a game/games that changed and defined the fortunes of an entire franchise, the infamous "Mickey Mouse", 13-4 game in Edmonton 11/19/83. Gretzky with 8 points, Kurri with 5 goals.

Aside from Gretzky's misconstrued "Mickey Mouse" comments, the Oilers just put on a clinic. Made it look so easy. Remember this game very well. It was a turning point in effect for the NJD team/franchise, although it wasn't rapid. They would be in Game 7 of the Conference Finals four seasons later. Those 1988 Finals almost were Wayne Gretzky, meet Mickey Mouse!

The rematch in NJ that January was probably the most exciting, if not insane, regular season game I've ever attended as a young teenager. Everybody came in Mickey Mouse ears, signs, posters and booed the heck out of Gretzky every time he touched the puck. Devils lost 5-4, but I remember the place went absolutely bonkers when after being down 5-2, they scored 2 goals in the 3rd and had the Oilers on their heels until the end.

That was the Mario Lemiuex draft season and there were rumors the Devils were on the verge of relocating to Saskatoon. Can't find anything on that, but I did find old articles about the Blues being another team rumored to be moving there as well in 1983. All-Star Game was also in NJ at the end of January, so it was kind of a crazy 2-month time.

If it wasn't for that initial 13-4 game in Edmonton, it's most likely that owner John McMullen wouldn't have made a determined and methodic search for respect & stability, culminating in hiring Lou Lamoriello in 1987.

Superstars, goals, points, a pathetic franchise in it's 3rd location and Mickey Mouse. Doesn't get any more exciting than that. :nod:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Since memorable games are born in the playoffs it has to be the Motown Brawl in 1997. Honestly, I gained a ton of respect for the Red Wings when that happened. They all won their fights too. Larionov bloodied up Forsberg, McCarty did the same to Claude, Shanny clotheslined Roy, Vernon got the edge over Roy. Oh, and the Wings won the game in overtime too. There was hate, animosity and sort of a turning point of which team was going to take over for the next few years. For regular season games I can't imagine a more famous one.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Just another regular season game not mentioned, it is a classic, not "edge of your seat type" but famous because we all know it. Sittler's 10 point night. Not that it was anything special going into that night. Just a regular Boston-Toronto game at the Gardens on Saturday night. Even after the first period, no big deal. Sittler had a couple of assists. Nothing crazy here. Then 5 points in the 2nd period and then a hat trick in the 3rd. 10 points. It gets a little exciting once he is chasing the record of 8. So I don't know if it a "greatest" game because from quality alone it isn't, heck the game was 11-4!

I often wonder, what changes if Orr is in the line up? Or Cheevers?

Reactions: Ofuzz

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Going to make a regular season contribution here. Nov 2008(can't recall exact date-too lazy to look it up.) Pitt at Detroit. Red Wings go up 5-2 early in third, Pens tie it late at 6 to send it to OT, and score in OT for the win.
Yeah, this for a regular season game is as good as it gets. Especially, considering it was pretty hyped as a Stanley Cup rematch from the previous spring.

My Best-Carey

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Since memorable games are born in the playoffs it has to be the Motown Brawl in 1997. Honestly, I gained a ton of respect for the Red Wings when that happened. They all won their fights too. Larionov bloodied up Forsberg, McCarty did the same to Claude, Shanny clotheslined Roy, Vernon got the edge over Roy. Oh, and the Wings won the game in overtime too. There was hate, animosity and sort of a turning point of which team was going to take over for the next few years. For regular season games I can't imagine a more famous one.

That is a good one and also it got the NHL a lot of national exposure. Nightly news shows all over America featured the game and highlights from it

I also recall a Devils Oilers game from 2000 or 2001. Devils in Edmonton. Very exciting game. 4-4 went into OT. The crowd at Edmonton gave a standing ovation to both teams in the waning seconds of overtime. I remember Emrick acknowledging it

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
This was actually the one. Magnificent regular season game

New Jersey Devils at Edmonton Oilers Box Score — March 17, 2001 | Hockey-Reference.com

Scoring Summary

1st Period
02:07EDMMike Comrie (6) Anson Carter and Ryan Smyth
12:48EDMJason Smith (5) Igor Ulanov and Georges Laraque
2nd Period
14:27EDMMike Grier (16) Todd Marchant
18:10NJDJohn Madden (22) Brian Rafalski and Turner Stevenson
3rd Period
01:14NJDPatrik Elias (30) Petr Sykora and Colin White
04:26EDMTom Poti (12) Mike Comrie and Ryan Smyth
06:08NJDPP — Randy McKay (20) Alexander Mogilny and Petr Sykora
08:42NJDBobby Holik (13)
12:35EDMTodd Marchant (12) Mike Grier and Ethan Moreau
16:04NJDPatrik Elias (31) Petr Sykora
1st OT Period
04:51NJDPatrik Elias (32)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
The Smythe-Division Semi-Final, Game #7 between the Flames and the Canucks. It was absolutely ridiculous end to end hockey. As a Canuck fan the overtime was as nail-biting as I've ever felt (and that includes the Game #7 Cup final versus New York). And the end? Geezus.......Smyl stoned by Vernon alone. The Flames win it finally and then went on to win the Cup. But nothing topped that game and series for me. I knew I wouldn't see anything as exciting the rest of the playoffs.

Have a look at the overtime

I was a hockey fan by then but watching pure athletic straight up reflex goalies like Vernon Richter Casey ranford beaupre and tererri made me fall in love with hockey. If your a younger fan of the NHL YouTube or Google highlight reals of goalies of this era. There amazing.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
December 27, 2000. Mario comes out of retirement. Electric atmosphere with the anticipation after 3.5 years off. #66 comes down from the rafters. Pens scores on first shift with Lemieux getting an assist. He adds a goal and another assist (Jagr 2-2) as Pittsburgh pummels a pretty good Toronto team 5-0. For a regular season games that was special. One of my most memorable games, regular or playoffs, ever.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: LeTigre and a79krgm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad