What is "The Game" in hockey?

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Was it the best game ever played? No. For that, maybe look towards Red Army vs. Montreal on New Year’s Eve or Fight Night at the Joe.
Overrated game. Montreal totally dominated every facet of that game and should have won by about eight goals. That was the one game where I could buy that Tretiak was a top 10 goalie of all time... he was amazing in it. Meanwhile, Dryden let in two weak goals and faced only 11 shots the entire game. It was exceptionally thrilling and exceptionally frustrating if you were a Canadian/Habs fan. All three games in the final of the '87 Canada Cup were superior.

Other great games...
Game 8 in '72 (obviously)
Canada's overtime win against the Soviets in the semi's of the '84 Canada Cup
Game seven of the Montreal/Chicago final in '71 (NHL)
Game seven of the Montreal/Boston semi final in '79 (NHL)

Last edited:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Overrated game. Montreal totally dominated every facet of that game and should have won by about eight goals. That was the one game where I could buy that Tretiak was a top 10 goalie of all time... he was amazing in it. Meanwhile, Dryden let in two weak goals and faced only 11 shots the entire game. It was exceptionally thrilling and exceptionally frustrating if you were a Canadian/Habs fan. All three games in the final of the '87 Canada Cup were superior.

13 shots actually. And I'd question that statistic too a little bit (seemed to be a couple of more); not that the Habs weren't dominating clearly (as acknowledged).

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
13 shots actually. And I'd question that statistic too a little bit (seemed to be a couple of more); not that the Habs weren't dominating clearly (as acknowledged).
Although I was just a kid, that was one of the most frustrating games - if not THE most frustrating game - I ever saw in my life.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
No read the whole thing as evidenced by my post. Try doing the same.

Sorry Canadiens1958, you should have read everything. While I always love talking about international hockey and those iconic games, and we still can here, it is the NHL I am specifically thinking about.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Game 7 1994 Rangers vs Vancouver

Not bad. Messier accepting the Cup with his emotions is up there as a great moment. Great game too, great series, great overall postseason and sadly since the lockout happened right after that perhaps hockey has never been like June 1994 since.

When we talk about iconic moments, I think the Bobby Orr cup clincher is right there.

But if we want to talk about an entire game that still stands the test of time as an iconic game, I gotta go with the OP.

The 79 semi final game 7 between the habs and bruins had every ingredient you would look for.

The Orr one is a good one. Not so much a duel between two teams, it was lopsided. But it might classify as "the Goal" outside of Henderson's.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Not bad. Messier accepting the Cup with his emotions is up there as a great moment. Great game too, great series, great overall postseason and sadly since the lockout happened right after that perhaps hockey has never been like June 1994 since.

The Orr one is a good one. Not so much a duel between two teams, it was lopsided. But it might classify as "the Goal" outside of Henderson's.

Sure, I got the feeling that we looking at the NHL only, and not international events.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Maybe Gretzky's last game? Statue of liberty game? Lemieux comeback?

I don't know, probably rather bad answers but just adding to the already mentioned ones.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Lemieux's comeback was very anticipated and he sure delivered.
Gretzky's last game was a poorly played drag of a sentimentality.

Mario's comeback was amazing. That first game back only added to his legend. He was too good at hockey.

I know that penguin team had holes, but man, they had some great talent. Kovalev, straka, Lang, jagr, Mario. It was must watch tv for me.

Prsut18

Jul 30, 2018
CZ
I know this is not so important for many of you, as it is in my country, but I´d like to add two games in WC in Stockholm 1969, where Czechoslovakia defeated SSSR both times (2:0, 4:3) ...it was shortly after Czechoslovakia was invaded by Soviet army and beginning of the dark times of totality... those two games had HUGE impact on all the society here.. even those who didn´t care about hockey before at all... it was revenge for all the bad things happened .. it was only a game, but it ment LOT for the whole country

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I know this is not so important for many of you, as it is in my country, but I´d like to add two games in WC in Stockholm 1969, where Czechoslovakia defeated SSSR both times (2:0, 4:3) ...it was shortly after Czechoslovakia was invaded by Soviet army and beginning of the dark times of totality... those two games had HUGE impact on all the society here.. even those who didn´t care about hockey before at all... it was revenge for all the bad things happened .. it was only a game, but it ment LOT for the whole country
That's fascinating.... Thanks for sharing!

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland

The Soviet Union vs Czechoslovakia rivalry is historically really underrated imo. There is this somewhat deluted notion that the Soviets were just destroying the opposition in Europe, but it wasn't univocally so; CSSR was a very difficult opponent for them especially in 1968-78, and it could be said that they often even had the upper hand in 1969-1972 and again in 1976-77 or so. Damn, a book should be written about the rivalry; there are still a few key players alive from both sides and all (anyone interested???!).

Some other classic games between the Soviets and the Czechoslovaks:

1972 WHC, second round, CSSR 3 USSR 2
1976 OG, USSR 4 CSSR 3
1977 WHC, medal round, CSSR 4 USSR 3
1978 WHC, medal round, USSR 3 CSSR 1

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Some of the NHL games that I remember, that also might have some significance:

Game 7 of Habs - Bruins, 1979
Game 3 of Islanders - Oilers, 1984 (symbolic start of Oilers dynasty)
Easter Epic, 1987 (first 4th overtime game for decades)
Game 7, Oilers - Flyers, 1987
Game 7, Oilers - Flames, 1984
Game 7, Oilers - Flames, 1986
Game 3, Devils - Red Wings, 1995 (symbolic spark of DPE, though it would be a couple more years)
Lemieux's return

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Game 8 of the 72 Summit Series?

I get American/European fans probably could care less about it, but Henderson goal is talked about to this day and at the time it had a huge impact even outside of hockey. A Western country beating the USSR at the height of the Cold War? Huge.

Similarly the Miracle on Ice was big, especially because it was the US beating the USSR that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad