Prospect Info: What is the future for Slovak Prospect Trio?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Calgary Flames drafted in 2 years 3 Slovak players:

Adam Ruzicka, 2017, 4th round
Martin Pospisil, 2018, 4th round (first Flames pick of this draft)
Milos Roman, 2018, 4th round

It is uncommon, that in one team there are many Slovak prospects. Also there is a disbelief here in Slovakia, that all 3 of them will play in one team together. Who has the brightest future?

Reactions: Pomee

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Franchise players lol

Honestly, idk. I’d say there is a chance one of them ends up a decent bottom 6 player, but I wouldn’t guarantee anything. I’d bet on pospisil given his size tbh.

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Ruzicka is likely the most likely to become an NHLer but Pospisil likely has the largest upside if somebody can tame his wild nature a little. Got to love his passion but it is a little unrestrained right now. TBH I don't know as much about Roman.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think all of them are projects at best (for fourth round picks, why nay!), definitely some potential to be NHL guys but really hard to say how likely they make it. They'll possibly all play for Stockton someday at the same time, so there's that lol.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think all of them are projects at best (for fourth round picks, why nay!), definitely some potential to be NHL guys but really hard to say how likely they make it. They'll possibly all play for Stockton someday at the same time, so there's that lol.
I have my doubts any become regular NHLers.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
At this stage it's foolish to lean one way or another.
All three of these dudes are so raw. None are playing pro hockey yet even.
It's not foolish to lean one way or the other. I had no doubt Gaudreau would be an NHLer at this point in his development and he was drafted just as late as them. But, I guess that was foolish too, since he wasn't even playing pro hockey yet, right?

It's not like I'm saying they have no chance, simply that I have doubts, like I do with almost any player drafted that late in the draft. If there was no reason to doubt them, they would have been drafted higher.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
We need a skilled goon, maybe pospisil can be one. He is psychotic enough.

Ruzicka has size and some skills but I think not enough drive to succeed
Roman is just average in everything

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
We need a skilled goon, maybe pospisil can be one. He is psychotic enough.

Ruzicka has size and some skills but I think not enough drive to succeed
Roman is just average in everything

I'm not quite sure I agree with that assessment personally as average to me mean's passable, not good. Yes it's his D+1 season, but PPG after getting 32 in 36 in his draft year is still more than just purely "average" to me.

I've also liked his progress when we've seen him at the WJC too. The fact he can produce against some of the better prospects in the world gives me some hope.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not quite sure I agree with that assessment personally as average to me mean's passable, not good. Yes it's his D+1 season, but PPG after getting 32 in 36 in his draft year is still more than just purely "average" to me.

I've also liked his progress when we've seen him at the WJC too. The fact he can produce against some of the better prospects in the world gives me some hope.

I was speaking about skills, nothing he has standout to me. Average is pretty good for a 4th rounder...

As for points, his stats is not impressive at all.morgan klimchuk produced much more and look at him now...

I don't claim to be an expert on these guys just passing opinions based on a few games

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
[mod]

I think they are interesting prospects, but none are can't miss and all have significant hurdles to overcome before we can even consider them NHL-bound.

Ruzicka has questionable drive, work ethic, and skating ability. Hands and shot seem to be in order, but hasn't been a line driver on his own and hasn't been very impressive during his overage season.

Roman had potential, but having limited offensive numbers in the WHL over a full season is not a good sign. perhaps the injuries hampered his development more than anticipated, but for now he is not trending to be signed.

I think Pospisil has some interesting potential, but he's still in a terrible development league beyond the stage he should be, and off-ice drama seems to follow him around.

Out of the three I would say Ruzicka has the best chance of making the show with Pospisil having the best potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I think they will form three thirds of our top line within the next 2 seasons barring a major setback

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Ruzicka I’m pretty sure will be a good middle six winger, either for this organisation or another. Not sure about the other two guys.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Roman is the best bet from me. He's so smart and reliable. He reminds me a lot of Horak but a bit more offensive skill to his game. At the WJC, he completely shut down Jack Hughes in the game against the US. I'm not saying he'll be a world-beater, but as a 2-way Center, I have a hard time not seeing him get a long look in the NHL.

Pospisil looked really intriguing early in the season with his production. But after his linemate Bobby Brink got injured, you could see Brink was the real driver of that line. Plus Posposil was an older draftee last year and is still in the USHL 2 years older (or 1 1/2 years, depending how you look at it) than most legit prospects that come from the USHL. He's clearly got some anger issues too and is still pretty raw looking. The word (or rumors?) that he didn't pass college entrance exams aren't the greatest sign either.

Ruzicka can go to the junk yard at this point. He looks tempting but he's a bum.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Looking at it a little more, this is how I would rank them:

1. Ruzicka: will definitely play pro hockey, almost positive he will play in the NHL and be a serviceable middle six forward. Best of the three so far.
  2. Pospisil: roughly the same upside as Ruzicka. Having a great year in the USHL. Not as proven as Ruzicka, earlier in his development. Still, better than 50 percent odds that he makes the NHL as a second or third line centre.
  3. Roman: likely no NHL upside, but he will be a good AHLer.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
They're all generally "B" level prospects, intriguing but nothing is guaranteed at this point.

I think Poposil has the longest shot, just given he's a bit on the crazy side. If he can get his game (and brain) under control while in college he has a chance.

The other two may have intangibles based on my incredibly limited viewing live, but I do like the stats they're putting on the board.

Also, being drafted fourth round in this organization is indeed lucky, so they have that going for them.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's not foolish to lean one way or the other. I had no doubt Gaudreau would be an NHLer at this point in his development and he was drafted just as late as them. But, I guess that was foolish too, since he wasn't even playing pro hockey yet, right?

I'm blown away 30 games into his tenure at BC, you already knew Johnny was an NHLer for sure. I mean, especially since no one really started really noticing Gaudreau until midway through his D+2 season.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I think pospisil could make the 4th line if he can play solid defence. Would love to have a wildcard on the team who at any moment could snap. Like the old days of having Niemenen, Oliwa and Simon.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
The word (or rumors?) that he didn't pass college entrance exams aren't the greatest sign either.

Pospisil said in one interview, that he choose to switch to another college. Because the old one should be on miserable level. He was contacted and he attended another schools, one of them should be St. Cloud State Uni (ranking 1. overall in NCAA Tournament Pairwise Comparison Ratings). Personally, i wouldn't be surprised, if he ends in AHL next season.

Another thing, last season he was one of the best players in the USHL NHL showcase skills competition. So there is some talent.

Personally, i will gove him the most percentage to make an NHL: lets say about 75%.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Pospisil said in one interview, that he choose to switch to another college. Because the old one should be on miserable level. He was contacted and he attended another schools, one of them should be St. Cloud State Uni (ranking 1. overall in NCAA Tournament Pairwise Comparison Ratings). Personally, i wouldn't be surprised, if he ends in AHL next season.

Another thing, last season he was one of the best players in the USHL NHL showcase skills competition. So there is some talent.

Personally, i will gove him the most percentage to make an NHL: lets say about 75%.

That’s pretty optimistic. I’d put the chance at any of these guys making it at 50/50 collectively. Nothing against them, as I think all of them can and likely will play pro-hockey at some level, but the odds are always stacked against you.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That’s pretty optimistic. I’d put the chance at any of these guys making it at 50/50 collectively. Nothing against them, as I think all of them can and likely will play pro-hockey at some level, but the odds are always stacked against you.

There's a huge drop off after like pick 15/20 in the first round in terms of guys making it.
These guys are all late round picks; and longer shots in terms of making it... but honestly, none of them has shown reason to really doubt or get down on them as a prospect (they've all improved scoring/playing at their level year over year). Like, this isn't a Keegan Kanzig thing, where you knew in year D+1 this guy wasn't much more than a CHL/ECHL type player. Or Klimchuk after his second/third pro year, that he'd amount to nothing in terms of NHL upside.

Like, you probably give it a 1/3 chance that one makes the show; so you probably have one NHL'er of the three there. In what capacity? Who knows; like journeyman or depth guy, or top 6... we have no clue. Since they're all later round picks, you kind of want to see how they looki n D+3, D+4 in terms of development; as there's not much to know about them right now.

A guy like Pospisil, I'd like to see how he handles Pro hockey. Those Dev Program numbers jump off the page, even for a 19 year old (considering he's an import, and not a NA hockey guy). Guys picked this late tend to follow certain career paths (outside of outliers, like the Gaudreau's of the world); where they play until they dominate their league, then move up, then rinse and repeat until they get to the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad