what is the definition of a "hockey trade"?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
thoughts? anyone know exactly what this term means and has the meaning changed?

i think today it means a player trade made strictly to improve the current roster without being influenced by the cap or contract term considerations, but i also think i recall it being used pre-cap to describe trades that involved just swapping roster players mostly to shuffle the deck rather than to rebuild.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Hockey trade = both teams benefit and I generally view them as one for one deals. Think Johansen for Jones.

IMO

I know both teams always try to benefit. Usually one team clearly gets worse (rebuild). That's what separates a hockey trade for me.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Equal in value while fitting the strengths and weaknesses of the respective teams.

And when I equal, I would exclude veterans for futures or any other sort of deal where the quantities are different.

The value of the pieces in a hockey trade are pretty close today.

Johansen for Jones at the time was the best example. At the time they had virtually equal value. One team needed a C and had too many D. The other needed a D and had replacements available at C.

All of those factors may or may not have come to pass, but on the day of the trade, that's what it was.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Any deal that doesn't involve cash/cap considerations.

When the Penguins dealt Jagr, or when the Oilers dealt Gretzky, those were transactions where the primary goal by the team trading the best talent is looking to cut costs.

A hockey trade is generally one where both teams look to address a need, trading from a position of strength to address an area of weakness, which is what some of the examples already cited refer to.

Reactions: Joe Strummer

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The Rangers trading McDonagh probably wasn't a hockey trade. As in the purpose of the trade wasn't to improve our on ice success at this exact moment.

Reactions: SniperHF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad