What is the consensus on Chistov and Bouchard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Chistov

I agree with Vlad on the year off really hurting Chistov, especially when coupled with the shorter off-season. But I still have hope for the young Russian. He seemed to sulk a bit in Cincy, lacking desire or something. It was visible that he was one of the most talented players on the ice, but he seldom worked hard enough.
However, his output in the AHL playoffs could show that he has turned the corner. Chistov needs a good camp to get a spot back on the team, but I think he can do it.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Chistov made massive improvements in the second half. Well, after he got called up at least.

He scored another goal in a few games, did well offensively, but what really impressed me was his physiciality. He really laid some pretty big hits since the call-up. Then, when he went down to the AHL, he lit it up there scoring 7 or 8 goals in 9 games. :eek:

If he keeps on keeping on, he should definetely reach his potential. And if he continues to be physical, he really could be a dominant winger.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Chistov has the talent to be a first line creative wing...
If there is an NHL season in 04/05 he will make the opening night roster. He slumped last year. When thinks started getting difficult for him he stopped shooting the puck. Hopefully he is working on his shot this summer and training everyday.

future Ducks 1st line of Lupul-Getzlaf-Chistov...

Chistov sets up Lupul's goals, Getzlaf does the hard work in the corners...

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Apparently some people missed Wally's warning in post #22 above. Leave political discussions out of threads on the hockey boards. I'll be nice and leave this open since most are discussing the actual topic at hand.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
seriously kafka, were you expecting this one to remain untouched? If you would like to invite people to the appropriate board send them a PM. .. ;)

PLEASE PEOPLE READ THE BOARD RULES/FAQ!
/ Predatore

Last edited by a moderator:

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
As for the topic, I just wish Chistov could come back as we was planned to be. I remember that during the NJ-Ana playoffs, he was really impressing. Has a small size, but has a powerfull acceleration.

Bouchard, before Crosby, was the best talent since Mario Lemieux to play in the LHJMQ. This guy has increadible hands, and bringing him so early with the big club allowed him not to be disturbed with all the money he got (ex of guys who lost time due to the first big money income: Eric Chouinard and Marcel Hossa). Anyway, this guy will be far better than Brière or Ribeiro (two former top scorers in the Q) and will have the work ethic to all bring it on.

So if you have to choose between both, pick Bouchard for sure. At short and long term, he is the better pick IMO and will be a better tool for any Stanley Cup contender than Chistov.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Kafka said:
Bouchard, before Crosby, was the best talent since Mario Lemieux to play in the LHJMQ.

Not even close to Lecavalier. Not even close.

Although I disliked Daigle, I thought he was also more impressive than Daigle. He really could fly and sparks were flying (however he would lose his cool).

This is not to diss Bouchard, I think he is a good little player. But Lecavalier was the best since Lemieux and still IS the best since Lemieux. In fact, Lecavalier is just a step below Lindros as the best player *anywhere* since Mario that I have seen.

Vinny's combination of size, speed and skill was just amazing at the time. Bouchard simply never compared.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I was saying that cause during the 2001-2002 season, people were saying that Bouchard had more pure talent than LeCavalier... like Lemieux did. I don't think these arguments where accounting size however, and you have to admit that size helped LeCavaliers play.

If I has to chose between Ribeiro, Briere and Bouchard, my pick would be Bouchard.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The next time any HF staff have to come to this thread to edit/delete any more political stuff....the poster that knowingly and willingly ignores the warnings will be banned.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Kafka said:
Bouchard, before Crosby, was the best talent since Mario Lemieux to play in the LHJMQ. Anyway, this guy will be far better than Brière or Ribeiro (two former top scorers in the Q) and will have the work ethic to all bring it on.
:shakehead
Probably i have not seen enough of Bouchard, but his potential looks to me to be overrated in this thread.
I would say Chistov could still be a first liner in the future, he has some special skills.
As for Bouchard, for what i have seen i can't see him as a #1 center and i would choose Ribeiro ahead of him. Hope to be wrong anyway.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
helicecopter said:
Probably i have not seen enough of Bouchard, but his potential looks to me to be overrated in this thread.
I would say Chistov could still be a first liner in the future, he has some special skills.

I'd really like to see what kind of special skills Chistov has that Bouchard doesn't possess. They are very comparable and Bouchard seems less prone to sulking. I understand that Chistov has not played under optimal circumstances but I can't say for sure Bouchard was brought the best way (I hate it when players make the jump to the NHL without deserving it) either.

They are both smallish, have the same kind of accuracy. Great vision, some nice moves. But smallish and not powerful dynamos on skates. In fact, they are strangely similar except Chistov was hyped beyond death in his draft year.

I saw Chistov before he was drafted, never understood what's supposedly so special about him. He looks to me exactly in the same class of player.

Chistov is exactly one year older and right now, they look like they are at the same point in development with a small edge for Bouchard despite the one-year handicap.

From their DOB, stature, style of play and skillset, they are two of the most similar players out there in their respective draft years. I find Chistov to react a little quicker and Bouchard to have more poise. Development-wise, Bouchard gets my vote at this point in time.

They took very different paths to the NHL which is why I find it interesting to keep an eye on their progress.

Ribeiro is a nice player to have on a middle-of-the pack team, but he is going to be a liability out there for the rest of his career or round out his game and lose some of his offensive efficiency. I'll take players who are smarter or have better tools before I pick him. But I'd like to give him one more season with the benefit of the doubt before I bet a house on this. Just my impressions.

The kind of risks this guy is taking, you have to flirt with 80-85 points and/or 30-35 goal to make this worth it.

You don't win Stanley Cups on irresponsible above average finesse skills.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
I find Chistov to react a little quicker ..
Agree.
Also, i think Chistov is a better skater, even if not as speedy as it was suggested before the draft.
Anyway Vlad, my previous post was just to give my two cents on the subject. You have seen Bouchard many times more than me, of course ( 4 or 5 times for me), so your opinion has re-created interest in Bouchard for me. :)

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think both players are going to have to get some courage. Both have great hands, but i dont see them in front of the net. I know they are not going to set up camp there but if the skated by the crease and got a rebound i bet its in the back of the net. I know Rickard Wallin of the wild(supposedly a soft European when he came over) has gotten most of his goals from about 3 feet from the net. Although he has only six it may keep him up next year. I dont see Chistov or PM getting much space and IMO they lack the strength to create thier own. But if they can keep moving get lost on the ice, whick happens alot in PM's case, and pop up in front of the net it would work. They have to realize that they are not going to be able to get the zone and set up. They have to keep moving and never get caught. If at the end of the day the announcer says, PM or Chistov was the hardest working player on the ice tonight, they will be 60-70 point guys. At their age and lack of experiance i think its a mental and conditioning thing more than a pure strength thing.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I read that Chistov just reach 200 lbs....... is that wright? That is more like Martin Lapointe then Saku Koivu......

...... Am I ok if I say that Chistov won't have any problem playing in the NHL with is size???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->