What is the coldest weather you have ever literally had to "deal with" since the day you were born

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
What is the coldest weather you have ever literally had to "deal with" since the day you were born thru the current weather or the weather predicted over the next few days?

Well the weather has gone and done it again with the SECOND POLAR VORTEX that I have ever experienced in my lifetime since I was born and living inside Chicagoland and it's expected to have wind-chills sub - 45-65 DEGREES tonight and thru tomorrow and here are the things that I know for a FACT are closed tomorrow due to "inclimate" weather:

1. My bank - J. P. Morgan Chase Bank
2. Government offices including the POSTAL DEPARTMENT
3. The main grocery store my mom shops at
4. The diner down the street from my Starbucks
5. My fitness centre
6. Public schools
7. City Colleges of Chicago

Corporate will not let me close my store though and it stinks because we will not have customers or at least not that many because the Governor literally declared the State of Illinois into a state of emergency. Also my best seller/employee said he's calling in sick tomorrow so it will be just me and Chip who was supposed to have a day off but I'm making him come in so I don't have to be running a "one man show" tomorrow.

Good luck, hope you all have better weather than mine tomorrow because it's literally going to be colder than ANTARTICA tomorrow, but we are in the middle of the USA. SMH

Reactions: Jiminy Cricket

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
why are you forcing someone to come in on their day off to avoid a "one man show" when you said yourself earlier that no one will come in (customers)?

Also, why are you letting your "best" employee call in "sick" when clearly he just doesn't want to go outside in the cold?

None of that makes any sense.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
why are you forcing someone to come in on their day off to avoid a "one man show" when you said yourself earlier that no one will come in (customers)?

Also, why are you letting your "best" employee call in "sick" when clearly he just doesn't want to go outside in the cold?

None of that makes any sense.

You’re surprised he doesn’t make sense?

Moran.

Reactions: McRpro and H3ckt1k

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
-40 Celsius in Temagami Ontario on a few occassions

It was so cold you just went out in a sweater as a jacket made no difference

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Last Monday in NYC was the coldest I can ever recall working in. The Diesel engines would not warm up and maintain operating temperature at idle. They kept falling back into a cold mode with the grid heaters coming on if we didn't idle them up manually. In over 26 years I have never experienced that.

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

Jiminy Cricket

#TeamMeat
Mar 9, 2014
It Was January of 1999, Coldes`t month in Decade`s. We Hadn`t seen a Truck pass nor Passenger; it was Too Cold `n` they were all Frozen Shut. All the Neighborhood kid`s were Close`d, 2 cold 2 Play! We Were Shiverin`g `n` Shiverin`g `n` Shiverin`g `n` Shiverin`g `n` Shiverin`g. GranPappy said Hey Kid`s, Let`s get a Pizza Goin`g. So We Order`d An Pizza `n` Tip`d the Delivery Boy $19.99, 1 penny for Every Degree that it WASN`T outside. We All Huddle`d aroun`d the Pizza for Warmth `n` that`s wen I realize`d: This Is Goin`g 2 Be A Long Winter. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

member 157595

-40 Celsius in Temagami Ontario on a few occassions

It was so cold you just went out in a sweater as a jacket made no difference

-40 and below is interesting. It's basically impossible for liquid water to exist at that temperature (disregarding pressure effects) or colder due to homogeneous nucleation, so at least you have no humidity factor to worry about...but as you state, there's not really much a coat can do at that level of cold. Human beings aren't really well-suited for those temperatures.

Last Monday in NYC was the coldest I can ever recall working in. The Diesel engines would not warm up and maintain operating temperature at idle. They kept falling back into a cold mode with the grid heaters coming on if we didn't idle them up manually. In over 26 years I have never experienced that.

In Canada and Alaska, it's very common for anything diesel to require a block heater during the winter. I don't think diesel fuel is at all volatile below like -35F or so and the glow plugs have little effect.

Sep 19, 2008

598480.jpg

member 157595

There's an actual town in Siberia where the average January low is -50C. Average.

Russians also operate an Antarctic research station with an average July low of -97F (that's without wind being taken into account, and it does get windy there on occasion), the coldest place on Earth that is being actively maintained.

Insane.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
Well it's cold but that does NOT mean that we do not have customers to serve and we are actually selling muffins and danishes and brekkie sammies at a record pace as far as upsell ratio goes right now because I am using the messaging that due to the extreme weather conditions that people should literally "carb-up" because they will blow through those calories more today then normal non-sub -20 degree days (almost 50 below due to windchill) and that they should upgrade to lattes because the extra fat will keep them warmer than if they were just doing straight coffees with a splash of milk or soy milk. Only bad thing today is that Chip is refusing to work the drive-thru window because his mom told him he could get frost-bite on his hands even though I told him he can wear gloves so basically he is willfully being insubordinate so he can definitely expect a write-up when I get it approved by HR.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
Well it's cold but that does NOT mean that we do not have customers to serve and we are actually selling muffins and danishes and brekkie sammies at a record pace as far as upsell ratio goes right now because I am using the messaging that due to the extreme weather conditions that people should literally "carb-up" because they will blow through those calories more today then normal non-sub -20 degree days (almost 50 below due to windchill) and that they should upgrade to lattes because the extra fat will keep them warmer than if they were just doing straight coffees with a splash of milk or soy milk. Only bad thing today is that Chip is refusing to work the drive-thru window because his mom told him he could get frost-bite on his hands even though I told him he can wear gloves so basically he is willfully being insubordinate so he can definitely expect a write-up when I get it approved by HR.

yeah man, put that employee on blast that you forced to come in on his day off while giving a complete pass to a no-show.

you're a piece of shit manager

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
yeah man, put that employee on blast that you forced to come in on his day off while giving a complete pass to a no-show.

you're a piece of **** manager
You can say whatever you want because it's a free country but the results literally speak for themselves and the numbers do not lie since I took over this store 5 weeks ago I have done an almost 60% overhaul of staffing to get rid of the losers and replace them with winners who want to win together, the sales numbers have improved by 34% year/over year in same-store sales for the month of January and currently literally as I type this I am single-handedly responsible for record sales on the record setting coldest temps this store has ever experienced in the passed two decades so basically I have a pudding's worth of proof that I'm the best manager this location has ever had, and you have nothing but snowflake sympathy for one of the worst employees I have ever had, in any industry I have ever worked in.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com

you're a piece of **** manager

So listen up hater, this just in I literally just went out side and proved Chip's mom dead-wrong about the frost bite and literally right in his face went out with zero gloves on and for 10 minutes scraped all of the ice off of his car that he had remote-started like an ignoramus and left running for 20 minutes because he thought that if he doesn't do this periodically through-out the day that his car would not start later when he needs it to start so he can drive home even though I already told him I would give him a "jump" from my car to his car if his car wasn't starting and my car is and basically all it did was cause condensation which literally froze on his car all over the glass which like instantly froze over. Guess what:

10 minutes, no gloves - ZERO FROSTBITE

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
You can say whatever you want because it's a free country but the results literally speak for themselves and the numbers do not lie since I took over this store 5 weeks ago I have done an almost 60% overhaul of staffing to get rid of the losers and replace them with winners who want to win together, the sales numbers have improved by 34% year/over year in same-store sales for the month of January and currently literally as I type this I am single-handedly responsible for record sales on the record setting coldest temps this store has ever experienced in the passed two decades so basically I have a pudding's worth of proof that I'm the best manager this location has ever had, and you have nothing but snowflake sympathy for one of the worst employees I have ever had, in any industry I have ever worked in.

you're not making any sense, bruh

if you've pushed a 60% overhaul in staffing to improve production, why haven't you relieved Chip of his duties, considering he's one of " the worse employees I have ever had"? I'm sure those 5-weeks of low-end management have really opened your eyes and given you a breadth of experience unsurpassed by any manager before you.

Chonged

Apr 24, 2018
you're not making any sense, bruh

if you've pushed a 60% overhaul in staffing to improve production, why haven't you relieved Chip of his duties, considering he's one of " the worse employees I have ever had"? I'm sure those 5-weeks of low-end management have really opened your eyes and given you a breadth of experience unsurpassed by any manager before you.

Why are you so upset about other peoples successes in life? I thought we were supposed to be lifting each other up.

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
Why are you so upset about other peoples successes in life? I thought we were supposed to be lifting each other up.
lmao @ "success" of managing a fast food restaurant at 40 and just now being promoted to manager. Some amazing stuff there. Definitely worthy of a first place trophy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->