What is the Best World Series Ever?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
86 WS is definitely up there. 91 was also great.

as a Jays fan I’m biased towards 92 and 93 but 93 was an insane series and deserves some consideration.

2001 is one I’ll always remember and had some great moments too.

In recent years we’ve been spoiled as the last decade there’s been a handful of really awesome WS.

2011 STL v Texas
2016 CHC v CLE
2017 HOU* vs LAD
2019 WSH vs HOU

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
The 1986 World Series was pretty good, but not like, epic all time great series. Couple blow outs.

The 1986 PLAYOFFS were one of the wildest, because the Red Sox were down to their final strike vs the Angels and rallied with two, 2-run home runs to take the lead, then blew it in the 9th, then won it in extras, then won the next two games.

The Mets were tied 2-2 with the Astros, Mike Scott won both games for Houston with 2 Complete Games, 1 run, 8 hits, 19 Ks in 18 innings.... and he was going to pitch Game 7 and win. So the Mets won Game 5 in 12 innings, were down 3-0 in the 9th of Game 6, rallied to tie it; took the lead in the 14th inning, blew it, scored 3 in the 16th, but gave up 2 runs and the tying run was on 2nd when they finally won it.

Then the Mets were down to their last strike multiple times in Game 6 vs Boston before three singles, the Stanley wild pitch and the ball gets by Buckner.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The Kirk Gibson home run was one of my earliest sports memories, so I can't attest to anything before 1988. For me, the 1991 World Series has been my favorite. I was a neutral-ish observer*, so I could sit back and just enjoy the games. 7 game series, 3 extra inning games, Kirby Puckett extra inning walk off in game 6, and the 1-0 pitchers duel in game 7. That was magical to watch as a kid.

*Chili Davis had been my favorite player on the Angels. Young me found the concept of a switch hitter to be so cool, so I was cheering him on as he had been traded to Minnesota that season.

I wish I had been able to watch the 2001 World Series. I was finishing up college and was too busy with schoolwork. I remember having a primitive ESPN gamecast for one of the games that BH Kim blew the save. I sat there staring at the screen for what seemed like an eternity trying to decipher whether he had blown the lead. For everybody who only grew up knowing high speed internet, consider yourselves fortunate.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Might be biased, but 2011 was crazy.
Always will love the Ray Fosse story of how he talked to Rangers base coach at the time Gary Pettis about that play. Pettis and Washington were yelling at him to stay back, yet he kept inching in from right as Craig hit.

I blame Wash for having him out there, but Cruz should have been listening. Can't let a ball get over.

1989 is among the worst World Series in history. What do you like about it?
A look at the other 3 years I chose will give some insight.

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
1975 is one of the best World Series.
Both teams went into the series on lengthy World Series droughts (Red Sox - 1918; Reds - 1940).

Game 1: Boston 6, Cincinnati 0 - Game was tied until the 7th when Boston put up 6 runs.
Game 2: Cincinnati 3, Boston 2 - Cincinnati scores 2 in the top of the 9th for the win.
Game 3: Cincinnati 6, Boston 5 (10) - Cincinnati blew a 5-3 lead in the 9th, only to win it in the 10th.
Game 4: Boston 5, Cincinnati 4 - 3rd straight one run game.
Game 5: Cincinnati 6, Boston 2 - Biggest win by the Reds in the series.
Game 6: Boston 7, Cincinnati 6 (12) - Boston rallied in the 8th, as they were down 6-3, Fisk hits game winning homer in 12th.
Game 7: Cincinnati 4, Boston 3 - Red Sox blow early 3-0 lead as the Curse of the Bambino continues, Reds win World Series for first time since 1940.

Interestingly enough, game 6 is the last time Cincinnati lost a World Series game, as they are 9-0 since that defeat (game 7 win, 4-0 in 76 against NYY, 4-0 in 90 against OAK).

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
'92 and '93 as a jays fan; 2016 as a baseball fan because the cubs finally won it all after 108 years

here are some other good recent ones:

1997 world series was awesome because it had the 5th year expansion marlins knocking off the powerhouse cleveland indians in 7. game 7 was hella hectic. marlins trailed 2-0 in game 7 in the 7th inning until they cut the lead in half via a bobby bonilla blast off of rookie jared wright. then, the marlins tied it in the 9th with a craig counsel sac fly to right field to allow moises alou to score the tying run. finally, in the 11th, edgar renteria hit a ground ball past the pitcher and through the infield that scored the winning run to cap off an ultimate game 7.

2001 was historic cuz it was the big unit and the 4 year old expansion team diamondbacks knocking off the core-4, three-year-in-a-row- champions, powerhouse dynasty yankees in 7, after trailing 3-2 in the series; it was also the first world series played in november due to 9/11

2003 was also amazing because you had the broke-ass marlins in only their 11th year beating the aforementioned powerhouse yankees in 6 in new york; 2nd title in 6 years for the marlins, that's better than many franchises can say

2011 because of david freese heroics in game 6; what a surreal moment and turning point for the cardinals

2014 had the royals go on an incredible hot streak in september and win the most epic wild card game to date against oakland (kc blew two leads in the game but came back to win anyways), as well as sweep both the mike trout-led angels and the baltimore orioles en route to a world series appearance; first playoff appearance for kansas city since winning it all back in '85. the series was super entertaining, as back and forth with series lead changed pretty much every other game (games 1, 3 and 5). ultimately the royals couldn't cap off their cinderalla run, as the giants went 3 in 5 that year, the closest dynasty we've had in recent memory

2015 was great for quite a few reasons. the royal avenged their world series loss from 2014 by winning this one, first title in 30 years. game 1 was epic, with the royals tying the game in the bottom of the 9th before winning it in 14. edinson volquez had also pitched without knowing his father has passed away. game 5 was the best game though, as matt harvey/jeurys familia screwed up what should've been a game 5 win for his team. harvey goofed by being a stubborn mule and staying in the game, instead of giving jeurys familia a clean inning to start with. jeurys ofc blew the save and the game went to extra innings, where the royals proceeded to score 5 runs in the top of the 12th to steal game 5 and the world series title from the mets. as a side note, kansas city only hit 2 home runs the entire series and both came in game 1 (the first one was an inside the park home run from alcides escobar)

2017 because the astros finally won their first title after like 52 years or so of being a team; i think it was games 2 and 5 that were particularly entertaining because of all the offense and lead changes. that series was incredibly unpredictable.

2019 was a phenomenal series because it had the first-time-appearance nationals winning the title after bryce shafted them for the phillies. washington had won a real wild, wild card game against the brewers and had won an nlds for the first time ever (first time the montreal/washington organization had won an nlds since 1982) and then they swept the cards in the nlcs in convincing fashion. in the world series, the nats took the first two games while houston stole all 3 in D.C rather convincingly. nats kept the series going with a 7-2 shelling in game 6 and oh man was game 7 one for the ages. howie kendrick, who had multple clutch hits in the postseason for the nats, hits a 7th inning game winning home run that hit the foul pole. the nats 3 runs in the 8th and 9th innings were just the gravy on top as they went on to win 6-2 and capture their first ever title. all the road teams won the game, first time ever that has happened iirc

essentially, the ones that go to 7 and the ones with crazy endings/storylines are the one that were great for me

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Since I was only 2 when my Pirates last won in 1979 I'll go with 1991 Twins vs Braves, 5 one run games, back and forth series with the home team winning every game, and the series ending with a great performance by Jack Morris

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Both teams went into the series on lengthy World Series droughts (Red Sox - 1918; Reds - 1940).

Game 1: Boston 6, Cincinnati 0 - Game was tied until the 7th when Boston put up 6 runs.
Game 2: Cincinnati 3, Boston 2 - Cincinnati scores 2 in the top of the 9th for the win.
Game 3: Cincinnati 6, Boston 5 (10) - Cincinnati blew a 5-3 lead in the 9th, only to win it in the 10th.
Game 6: Boston 7, Cincinnati 6 (12) - Boston rallied in the 8th, as they were down 6-3, Fisk hits game winning homer in 12th.
Game 7: Cincinnati 4, Boston 3 - Red Sox blow early 3-0 lead as the Curse of the Bambino continues, Reds win World Series for first time since 1940.

Interestingly enough, game 6 is the last time Cincinnati lost a World Series game, as they are 9-0 since that defeat (game 7 win, 4-0 in 76 against NYY, 4-0 in 90 against OAK).
72 series between Oakland and Cincinnati was also a very good series with the A's winning game 7 in Cincy.

Those 70's Reds were pretty close to their own dynasty.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
'92 and '93 as a jays fan; 2016 as a baseball fan because the cubs finally won it all after 108 years

here are some other good recent ones:

essentially, the ones that go to 7 and the ones with crazy endings/storylines are the one that were great for me

1997 was entertaining, but the baseball was awful. Peak steroids era with no pitching; like 11-8 games, umpires were calling pitches nine inches outside strikes all playoffs.

2001 was high drama. The late homers off B-H Kim and then Rivera getting blooped and rollered to death in game 7. Probably my pick for best WS I've seen.

2003 was enjoyable for me as a Yankee hater, but I simply can't give the Marlins any credit for contributing anything to baseball ever based on their firesales and their two championships are the only times they've ever won over 87 games.

In 28 seasons, they have 22 losing seasons, 4 seasons of 82-87 wins... and 1997 and 2003 with wild card championships. The Marlins are so weird in that they have never lost a playoff series, AND never won a division!

2015 for horrific because I'm a Mets fan. There were some epic games. And that was a single and a Cespedes error, not a home run. Terrible scoring on that play. The Royals could not be struck out. It seemed like EVERY two-strike pitch they took was called a ball instead of strike three. It was infuriating.

2011/2014/2017/2019 were fun World Series to watch, but 2017 seems tainted and I hate the Nationals (and the Capitals).

My pick is 2016, because it delivered on being a good, high drama series, AND you had the two longest droughts possible facing off.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Always will love the Ray Fosse story of how he talked to Rangers base coach at the time Gary Pettis about that play. Pettis and Washington were yelling at him to stay back, yet he kept inching in from right as Craig hit.

I blame Wash for having him out there, but Cruz should have been listening. Can't let a ball get over.

A look at the other 3 years I chose will give some insight.

I heard recently an interview with Endy Chavez (who I forgot had ever played with the Rangers), who said he was supposed to go out to be the defensive replacement for Cruz but for some reason Ron Washington changed his mind and kept Cruz out there. Maybe it's like the Bill Buckner thing where the manager got caught up in emotion wanting his veteran player out on the field for the end of the game.

As wild as Game 6 was - quite probably the best GAME in WS history - I can't put it among the top few WS's cause Game 7 was a formality after the way the Rangers blew it in Game 6. Just like 2002 with the Angels' great comeback in Game 6 followed by a matter-of-fact Game 7. If that WS had a better Game 7 it'd be talked about among the top several WS of all-time.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I'd say the best, given the number of HOF'ers on both sides and the quality of the games culminating in the drama of the last two. There are a lot of great ones to pick from and hardly a wrong answer among the seven-game series. Can't really put a six-game series among the classics unless it's something ridiculous like the Mets/Astros LCS of 1986 (especially considering that was like a Game 7 with the Mike Scott factor).

Reactions: Voight

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
‘91 and 2001 stick out the most to me and are most memorable, so going with those. I can still remember those Game 7s — kind of like a where were you moment.

‘92 and ‘93 are memorable for obvious reasons as a Jays fan.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto

Damn the Red Sox really were cursed back then lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->