What is the best way to get a player's autograph?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I recently bought a framed photograph of Conor McDavid and I would love to get it autographed.
McD.jpg

Now before I get ravaged, this is a Christmas present for my Grandson who's a huge McDavid fan. I got it at Costco for $50 which is a reasonable amount to pay for a 10 year old boy but the autographed ones were 3x the amount that I paid for the unautographed photo.

Just a little background... my Grandson loves to play hockey but unfortunately he'll be unable to play this Fall as he will be undergoing a couple of surgeries in October and November. In October he'll be getting a fairly routine tonsillectomy and in November he'll be undergoing a major surgery where he'll be getting a new ear. You see, my Grandson is deaf on his left side as he was born without an ear there. They will be removing cartilage and skin from his body and molding it in the shape of an ear and surgically implanting that new ear on the left side of his head.

He won't be able to hear out of the new ear but at least he will look more like all his friends and hockey buddies.

So anyways I'm trying to do my best to give him the best Christmas present ever. I wrote the Oilers to see if I could get the photo signed by McDavid when he's here on November 17 for the Flames Oilers game, and explained why I wanted to do this, but they replied back saying they were unable to accommodate my request.

So I guess now I'm at the point of waiting around somewhere hoping to see McDavid and hoping he will be kind enough to sign the photo... just don't know where the best place to do this would be.

Any suggestions?

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Could always reach out to the team PR people and see what they say. Teams love good stories like yours!

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Do it with your grandson? The overall memory of going to get it will be just as valuable as the present itself.

The Flames for instance will post when the players are out and about and available for autographs (ie: At the arena, Pizza 73, Charlesglen Toyota etc.) . I assume the Oilers do the same. Usually having kids in the crowds give a higher likelihood of getting an autograph. I think the players often do adults last as there's the perception they're probably just going to go out and sell the autographed item.

Asimplehockeyfan

Sep 6, 2018
Sometimes you might be able to catch the team at the airport when they arrive or before they leave the city.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Do it with your grandson? The overall memory of going to get it will be just as valuable as the present itself.

The Flames for instance will post when the players are out and about and available for autographs (ie: At the arena, Pizza 73, Charlesglen Toyota etc.) . I assume the Oilers do the same. Usually having kids in the crowds give a higher likelihood of getting an autograph. I think the players often do adults last as there's the perception they're probably just going to go out and sell the autographed item.
I would love to do that but my Grandson lives in Golden BC so the logistics just wouldn't work out. Plus when the Oilers come to Calgary in November my Grandson will most likely be at home recovering from his surgery.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Try:

- Flying the zone, you'll probably run into McDavid there.
- Entering a padded room, McDavid might still be lingering as his stats will be there
- Golfing in Richmond Hill in mid-April, you'll likely run into McDavid

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
Maybe try contacting Mcdavid via twitter. Or you used to be able to send fan mail to players at one point. I don't know if that's still a thing or not. Maybe you could send a letter to him directly.

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
Here's his signature taken from this card. Take it to a print shop and have then print it on.

McDavid2.jpg

Attachments

• McDavid2.png
    McDavid2.png
    200.5 KB · Views: 2

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
@Rubi, it's not unheard of to try and catch them after practice. I'd try reaching out to the Oilers organization and seeing when they're practicing. If you explain your story to them, the staff might even be able to help.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
You can try reach out via Twitter, DM and tweet, I'm sure some fellow fans would be happy to RT it for you. That being said. Might be a tough go without some evidence, a lot of scummy people out there make up stories to get autographs and turn around and flip them on eBay.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
You can try reach out via Twitter, DM and tweet, I'm sure some fellow fans would be happy to RT it for you. That being said. Might be a tough go without some evidence, a lot of scummy people out there make up stories to get autographs and turn around and flip them on eBay.

That's why I personally don't get autographs, just pictures when I meet players lol. I believe some players flatout refuse autographs and only take pics (Like Weber for example).

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Looking at Snazu's comment, I wonder if you could "customize" the framed pic a little to increase your odds it gets signed by showing it's unlikely to be flipped for a profit.

ie:

"For my Grandson, I hope this gift brings you joy for the days to come." - Grandpa Rubi. (Somewhere on the glass without obstructing CMD's face)

... and in the other corner, CMD's autograph and hopefully a small blurb.

That's why I personally don't get autographs, just pictures when I meet players lol. I believe some players flatout refuse autographs and only take pics (Like Weber for example).

Remember when typical graffiti was, "X was here?" I think autographs is really just another geeky facet of what an item can be. (ie: "Game worn. Fully of sweat and everything). But in some senses, sorta creepy if not immortalized in a museum or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad