What is the 'best' league in the CHL?

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Hello everyone,

I will soon be embarking upon a major research project as part of finishing my undergraduate studies in college. As seen in the title, I have an idea of where I would like to go with it. My idea would be to compare both draft position and average career output (such as games played, goals scored, etc) of players from 1998 (or so) to present day today from each of the 3 leagues of the CHL: The Ontario Hockey League, the Western Hockey League, and The Quebec Major-Junior Hockey League. I would like to see which of these leagues has produced the greatest value of players in the NHL over the past 15 or so years. A few questions I have for you guys:

1. Is this something you would be interested in reading about? Is it something that you'd consider a worthwhile study?

2. Has something like this, or close to this, been researched before? Has it been overanalyzed and/or do you think it is a topic worth delving into?

I have done a little research so far, and I haven't found anything super-specific in regards to this, and I have always been curious/intrigued by this idea. I know a few of you on here are well-versed in this area of research and was wondering if you guys could stop me in my tracks before embarking on a useless study, or if this is legitimately a good research project to attack. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I am really excited to (hopefully) start this soon.

Thanks again!

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The WHL. Smaller population. As many draft picks and NHL players as the OHL. More Memorial cups wins. Hard to argue with that

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Haha, thanks for that Taco.

I appreciate the input from you all.

Thanks to Saint Anton for that piece, that's exactly the type of thing I am looking for. :)

In any case, I think I am going to go ahead and do this. Sadly, you won't see it for awhile because next semester is still 4 months away. :laugh:

But I promise, once I complete all the research and come to a conclusion, I will be sure to post it here on the boards. Keep this thread bookmarked though. :laugh:

Ryan English

@ryanenglish_FC
Nov 14, 2010
Halifax, NS
What would be your main baseline for value of an NHL player?

Maybe per capita GP played/Time on ice produced in each league.

Especially per capita because Ontario I believe would be at a big advantage in the number of young hockey players. (I could be way off base there)

A really enviable way to get a degree though! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad