what is the best game you have ever watched?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Screw your rules, I'm going with a playoff game. Ovechkin-Crosby dueling hat tricks.

Either that, or the World Junior game where Eberle tied it up with 5 seconds left in the third. What a team that was.

The Leafs-Islanders playoff series had some great entertainment as well.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I haven't been to a leafs regular season game in years. I lived in BOS in 1999-2002. I saw 3 games. The leafs won 2 out of the 3 games I saw them play.

They were not close or good (sadly).

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
MAC37_HENDERSON01www.jpg

Picture says it all

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I remember years ago reading an article about some reporter who was retiring and had covered sports forever, when asked what the best game he ever saw was he mentioned game 7 Marlies vs Peterborough Petes in 1973. I though it was super cool that he picked a junior game over all the NHL games he'd seen, I was at that game and yes, it was an incredible game! The Marlies needed a tie to clinch, they were down 5-2 going into the 3rd and tied it on a penalty shot with a little over a minute left. George Armstrong was the coach, Palmateer was in net, Mark and Marty Howe were on the team along with Bruce Boudreau and Paulin Bordeleau who scored on the penalty shot. IIRC Roger Neilson was coaching Peterborough. This is how the penalty shot went down:

Before skating to centre ice, Bordeleau chose to consult with Armstrong.
“Shoot,” Armstrong told him.
Bordeleau then headed to centre ice, only to be beckoned back by Armstrong.
“If the goalie comes out, deke him,” Armstrong said.
Again, Bordeleau headed to centre ice. Again, Armstrong called him back.
“Bords,” Armstrong said, “do anything the (censored) you want.”
Bordeleau deked and scored. The goal, with 1:09 left in the third period, gave the Marlies a 5-5 tie and the point that won the series, 8-6.

The attendance that day was 16,485 which was at that time, a record for a junior game.

Here's an article about whether that was perhaps the greatest junior team of all time:
Are the ’72-73 Marlboros the greatest junior team ever?

My favourite quote is from George Armstrong when the players were complaining about the refs during about an intermission:

Sometimes you have to beat the officials. Sometimes you have to beat the hometown crowd. Sometimes it’s crappy bounces, crappy weather, a crappy bus and crappy dressing rooms. But great teams don’t whine, they win.

Last edited:
Reactions: ER89

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
That second-to-last game of the year 2 years ago vs. Pittsburgh comes to mind.

I just remember all the stress at the end of that season and we had to win just 1 of our last 4 to get in. And I wanted in so badly.

And then we lost the first 2 and we were down against Pittsburgh late but staged a dramatic rally to tie and then go ahead late. And then McElhinney with that game-saving stop. And then Matthews ices it with the empty-netter for# 40.

That was essentially a playoff game. Pure joy!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The 1976 Canada Cup round robin game between Canada and Czechoslovakia. The Czechs won 1-0, with Dzurilla outbattling Vachon.

Second would have to be the final game of the 1972 summit series with Russia.

Third is the third game of the 1967 Stanley Cup finals, with Toronto beating Montreal 3-2 in double overtime, as Johnny Bower stopped 61 of 63 shots.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
When I was home last year, I would have to say the game against the Blackhawks on October 9th was the best game of the year.

The Hawks were still considered a threat remember they looked like hot shit after putting up ten against the Pens a week earlier - and they jumped out to an early lead, frankly they looked dialed as f***; a team of hard and seasoned men against a precocious team of boys.

They led 3-1 halfway into the 3rd, but we dominated second half of the game and outshot them huge.

Then we took them to OT and Matthews ripped a surface-to-air blast for the win, you've probably seen it fifty times, you know the one I'm talking about. Matthews spent most of the game making Kane his bitch.

Great damn game. Not the best ever, but a tremendous character win.

Going in with a sandpaper condom soaked in Tabasco on the Jets opening night (I detail the personal significance of this game for me here) and the smack down against the Crylanders (the 3rd last game I watched) where Dermott and Holl got their first goals were also good.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
MAC37_HENDERSON01www.jpg

Picture says it all
Funny story about that. In '97, for the 25th anniversary, everyone was asking everyone else "where were you when Henderson scored?" Some young reporter, obviously without doing his homework, asked Yvan Cournoyer that question. His reply: "I was on the ice, and a moment later, he was in my arms."

That's Cournoyer wearing #12 in possibly the most famous picture in all of hockey.

Reactions: egd27

member 262271

I'm gonna go with a game filled with stupidity: The game against Ottawa where Tucker attacked the Sens bench. Part of what got me into hockey in the first place was the goonery, and while I'm over that now and obviously the game is different, it might still fire me up. Shout out to that Canucks game a few years ago where Martin fought like 3 guys.

mccabe2424

Jul 28, 2013
Toronto
The 2002 salt lake City gold medal game between Canada and USA just the quality of players on both sides and the sigh of relief and happiness shown by Wayne in that game is something I'll always remember oh and it iginlas coming out party

Reactions: Gary Nylund

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
In a losing effort but Matthews' first game when he scored 4 goals; for me it was like a one man mission it was surreal

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Game 6 on against the Sens in 02 comes to mind.

Down 3-2 in the series, the Leafs went down 2-0 on the road less than 5 minutes into the game.

Sens defenseman Ricard Persson takes a 5 minute major boarding penalty against Domi and Leafs tie it up with 2 goals on the ensuing PP.

Take a lead in the 2nd and the sens tie it up with under a minute to go in the period.

Leafs take the lead back 5 minutes into the third and hold on for dear life.

Bowen's out of breath "Bless you boys, what a game!" after the final horn goes.

Leafs go on to win game 7 at home 3-0

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
2014 women's gold medal game is right up there. Canada scoring in the dying minutes and wins in ot was incredible. I showed up 20 minutes late to an exam while watching ot, and when I got there the teacher and students were watching the coverage still :laugh:

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I remember a long time ago the Leafs were in Buffalo and they were down 5-1 or something. They stormed back in the third period and won in OT on a Kaberle goal. Crowd celebrated like it was a home game..it was awesome

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The 2002 salt lake City gold medal game between Canada and USA just the quality of players on both sides and the sigh of relief and happiness shown by Wayne in that game is something I'll always remember oh and it iginlas coming out party

Yeah that game was played at a very high level!

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Live? No doubt it was game 2, 2nd round, 2002 playoffs - triple OT winner by Gary Roberts.

On TV...tough. 87 Canada Cup games 2 and 3, 93 Leafs/Wings game 7, there was also a random 11-9 game between the Leafs and Gretzky's Oilers, I want to say 84? Great game to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad